GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way into work on Friday (the 13th :( ) I picked up a large piece of metal. I did not see it in the street, but I sure could hear and feel it. I was just a block away from my parking lot so I took it there. I got out and looked around...the right rear was still hissing and I could see the metal sticking out of it. There is a automotive shop a block away (and I regularly took my previous car there) so I drove it over there while there was still air in the tire. He looked at it and stated that it probably wasn't repairable since the puncture was on the outer row of treads. I did get the extended warranty for the rims and tires, so I tell him that I will take it to the dealer. He has one of his guys put on the donut spare while I am at work...doesn't charge me.

I call the dealership and let them know. A service manager calls me back to verify the tire size, etc. Tells me that the GM warranty program is a reimbursable procedure. They file paperwork, do the service, I pay for it, I file paperwork, hopefully receive payment. Also, they cant find an 18" Michelin in stock anywhere, so it has to be ordered. He expects it either Tuesday or Wednesday. The cost is around $300, too.

That leaves me riding around on the **** donut spare for a few days. It looks terrible, but rides surprisingly well. There has been no pull or wobble like I have experienced with other cars. I still have not taken it on a highway and don't plan to. I guess I have always had negative impressions when I see cars with the small spare on. I always assume the owner is too cheep to get another tire. It never occurred to me that some tires take a couple days or more to get replaced.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I feel your pain. I just had the 10K service done on my Harley.... they had to keep it an extra couple days because they didn't have an air filter ....... none of the Chicago dealers had one.....come on ....NO AIR FILTER OR 18" TIRE? dealers must not be stocking any parts anymore for anything. Of course the problems in Japan might be behind some availability problems.

I wonder how hard 19" tires are going to be.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
GARYD said:
I wonder how hard 19" tires are going to be.
About 35 PSI - sorry, I couldn't resist.
>:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hit a pothole in my 2008 Saturn in March and severely damaged a tire the week before I was to turn it in (end of lease).

It had Hankook tires on it - none available anywhere in the U.S. - 3 week backorder (besides - spending $158 on a new tire on a lease vehicle right before turn in didn't make me happy). I was surprised none available since the Hankook was used on many Auras, G-6s , and Malibus

Luckily I found a used tire warehouse here in town (over 10,000 tires) - they have pictures on the website of each tire, measured tread depth, and they mount it on a rim to make sure it doesn't leak before you take it. $26 for one with 50% tread left.

Not what I would put on my primary vehicle that I was going to keep - but great for some situations.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the new tire finally came in. It only took aabout a half hour and I was all set...after paying $300. The service rep filled out some paper work for me and gave me copies of everything. Hopefully, the reimbursement process works quickly. :shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts