GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Reporting in that the Hankooks are still completely TRASH and nothing short of a death trap. Worst I've experienced on a GM car out of the 7 i've had.

The past few weeks have been horrible. These tires really are the worst on snow. I actually sent GM a note before the holidays asking why they sell a "True North Edition" .. "specifically designed for the rigors of the Canadian winter" .... and put these Hanooks on them. ... no response lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
The past few weeks have been horrible. These tires really are the worst on snow. I actually sent GM a note before the holidays asking why they sell a "True North Edition" .. "specifically designed for the rigors of the Canadian winter" .... and put these Hanooks on them. ... no response lol
I agree with you, read up on those "crappy Hankooks", horrible reviews and immediately ordered Michelin Premier LTX, wish we could specify tires and rims. GM must have got a **** of a deal on a few million Hankooks! Even saw them on Fords! Buicks all have Michelin. Thinking of snow tires but no steel rims fit the 2018.:surprise:

Reactions: digital-audiophile

·
Registered
958 Posts
fandjlip--were you able to negotiate anything for your tires in exchange, as you upgraded to the Michelins?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Almost half the value of Michelin, at dealership, before delivery, but NOW we have tire warranty, there is never any on OEM tires on vehicles. Everyone thinks they are "seconds".

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good deal!!!! Wish I had thought of that. I much prefer the Michelin tires. I went to Discount Tire and purchased their road hazard warranty. Theu have replaced a number of tires for me in the past. Did the same with my 2010 Impala; before I purchased new tires for it, the Discount Tire warranty covered three replacement tires--road hazard failures , tread separations, etc. Michelin comes with the equivalent warranty; great tire.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To clarify, the dealership would sell you a road hazard plan at a cost, I know I did buy such a plan. I not sure what I paid ( overpriced I’m sure ) maybe $22 each tire. I was picking up nails like crazy and in my REAR case got two new tires.

·
Registered
958 Posts
To clarify, the dealership would sell you a road hazard plan at a cost, I know I did buy such a plan. I not sure what I paid ( overpriced I’m sure ) maybe $22 each tire. I was picking up nails like crazy and in my REAR case got two new tires.
Yeh, they had that as part of another maintenance package, but it didn't cover rotation and balance, and it only provided $125 toward the replacement of a tire. Even though the Hankooks aren't an outstanding tire, they are still priced at almost twice that amount!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with you, read up on those "crappy Hankooks", horrible reviews and immediately ordered Michelin Premier LTX, wish we could specify tires and rims. GM must have got a **** of a deal on a few million Hankooks! Even saw them on Fords! Buicks all have Michelin. Thinking of snow tires but no steel rims fit the 2018.:surprise:
fandjlip,

How do you like the Michelin tires s compared to the Hankook tires?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Read through this entire thread, and immediately texted the wife to send me a photo of her tires. She doesn't even ask why anymore.....

Anyway, I guess we're lucky because our 2018 Premier came with the Michelins.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Reporting in that the Toyo tires are a absolute treat. Also I had a base Terrain loaner for a week given the vacuum pump failed and I lost breaks. It had the Michelin Premier LTX on 17"s and I drive 5 or six times in variable snow accumulation and both pre and post salt. They were stuck to the road. My utter rage at my salesperson and warfare on GMC's Instagram and Facebook account netted them paying for one of my lease payments. So money on tires was $922 and payment refund $468 = I'm happy. I just might lease my 6th Buick/GMC from them in 2019. That said, when I only keep my lease for about 21-22 months it was a lot of effort. Have to deal with selling tires now unless I burn them up.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
.....given the vacuum pump failed and I lost breaks. .
I doubt very much that you "lost brakes". I would guess, more likely, that you lost the "power assist" for your brakes. If you really did lose brakes, then you should immediately report this incident to NTSA because it would be a very dangerous car to be driving.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Snow. . . what snow?

Ground Hog Day and no snow on the ground here. Not even in Woodstock, Ill where the movie was filmed.

But it IS 0.0F degrees here today and headed lower. Well, we are supposed to get some flurries and then maybe 1" to 3" here this week end.

Maybe enough to use the snow blower. So far, I mostly used my leaf blower like a few other of the neighbors do. Works great and when the snow is dry like it has been the last inch or two that we did get. .. fast work.

Back to the morning coffee and grits with an egg in them. . . :grin:

Reactions: JTNJ and larrywal

·
Registered
958 Posts
Speaking of grits--Have you ever eaten shrimp and cheese grits? Not necessarily a breakfast item, but I enjoy them! Great mix of southern comfort foods.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Speaking of grits--Have you ever eaten shrimp and cheese grits? Not necessarily a breakfast item, but I enjoy them! Great mix of southern comfort foods.
Speaking of movies, have you been watching "My Cousin Vinnie"?
Yup. . grits (and shrimp and grits) is not just for southern folk. . . .:smile:

Get 'em all the time when we go to Florida. Usually bring back 5 to 6lbs of shrimp each time. So have peel n' eat and save some for cheeze grits. Add some sriracha to the cheese grits for some zesty flavor!

Wife's family lives in cheese country so we stock up on all the best. Most think we are a bit weird up north here with our grit thing. . . lol

On another note. . one quick favorite breakfast. Low calorie and will stick with you well to lunch time if not longer.
Take some grits 1/4 cup, add water a bit of salt and pepper. Nuke in microwave (power 6) till almost fully cooked. May need to add some more water as you need to have them a bit soupy. Break an egg into the side of bowl of hot soupy grits. Cover with plastic wrap, and cook some more at low power (4 or 5) till egg yoke starts to cloud over.
Take bowl of egg grits out and let sit for 1 minute. Remove plastic wrap and stir in egg if desired with a small pat of butter. Add more black pepper, hot sauce, grated cheese, etc to taste.

It helps to have an Inverter type microwave which actually lowers or controls power. Normal microwave ovens just "pulse" the Full power on and off at the different settings. Doesn't work as well.

Reactions: NC18NOX

·
Registered
75 Posts
I may get run out of NC for saying this, but I've lived here all my life and I don't like grits. However the grits and shrimp thing does sound good and I would give it a try. I love shrimp

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I may get run out of NC for saying this, but I've lived here all my life and I don't like grits. However the grits and shrimp thing does sound good and I would give it a try. I love shrimp

Yes.. . it's the cheese in the grits and a good sized pat of butter that take grits to a whole new level. And if you like some heat. .. a few drops of sriracha sauce, or any other hot sauce you care for. Goes great with shrimp.

First time I had them was at the Star Fish Co & restaurant in Cortez, Fl.
It's one of my two "secret" favorite casual sea food waterside dining spots in Florida. Can't tell you the other one . . . Some of the best seafood is found at humble dives that just serve up great simple dishes and also sell fresh fish. Shrimp, grouper sandwiches, oysters, crab. Freshest you can find the same day it's caught and at half the cost of the more upscale places . . . who get their seafood from these fish stores.

Pics of Star Fish and a meal with Cheesy Grits - - -

Reactions: NC18NOX

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
But. .. now back to - -

Snow. . . sorry for the derail.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts