GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
My first car was a 1960 Chev Biscayne 4 door with a 6 banger. I chose it over a 1958 Chev, also a 4 door with a 6 banger.
I paid $400 at the time which was a lot of money for me.
I thought is was the cats a$$ back then when I was 17 but now I don't think it was very cool at all.
A 55 Chevy would have been much better.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine was a 66 Chevy Impala 2 door, 283.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Mine was the 1955 Oldsmobile 98 I mentioned in another thread. That was in late 1967 that I got it. So 12 years old at that time. It was luxury to me with power *Everything*. 3 speed automatic OD and 324 engine.

Like the one pictured below in two tone color. . ..

I only owned it for about a year and "upgraded" to a '61 Olds 88 with a slipping transmission. . . .

Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
974 Posts
Bought my first car in 1973 for $200. It was a 61 Chevy Biscayne, 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree.
Next, in 1975 I bought a 1966 Chevy Caprice with the SS interior for $900.
It had a 396 and 3 speed auto.
Next was a 71 Ford Torino with a 429 Cobra Jet and 4 speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lee, nice Caprice and Torino, I like how the Torino was equpped with the 429/4spd. Noticed the For Sale sign in driver's side rear passenger window of the Torino, was the picture taken right before you bought the car or when you were trying to sell it? I won't go anywhere near there on how you wished you still had that car!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
498 Posts
My first: 1956 Chevy 210, 2 door, 265-2 barrel Powerglide 2 speed.
Black and white interior, two tone yellow and green exterior.
6.70x15 tires (whitewalls)
Purchased used in 1967 for $350.00. I was 15 years old.

·
Registered
974 Posts
, I like how the Torino was equpped with the 429/4spd. Noticed the For Sale sign in driver's side rear passenger window of the Torino, was the picture taken right before you bought the car or when you were trying to sell it? !

The picture was taken around 1978 when I was selling it.
It would sell for a good price now.
It was a blast to drive but it was a beast for my wife to drive.
The clutch had a very strong spring and it did not have power steering.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Reactions: Crankme69

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
'63 Pontiac Tempest. 194.5 Cu. Inches. It was actually the 389 engine sliced in half. It had a 2-speed powerglide with the shifter knob next to the ignition hey in the dash. Oh, and had a split transmission with a rear-mounted transaxle and independent rear suspension. Wish I knew more about cars back then to know more about what I had. It had 50-50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The picture was taken around 1978 when I was selling it.
It would sell for a good price now.
It was a blast to drive but it was a beast for my wife to drive.
The clutch had a very strong spring and it did not have power steering.

Lee, HD clutch and no PS, a few hints there. If it happened to have the heater delete option the original owner may have put miles on it at 1/4 mile a time. I assume it had what Ford called "traction lok", do you recall the rear gear ratio?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 1st vehicle was 1965 Chevy Impala 4 door 283 w 2 speed powerglide purchased for $175.00 in 1975

·
Registered
302 Posts
'63 Pontiac Tempest. 194.5 Cu. Inches. It was actually the 389 engine sliced in half. It had a 2-speed powerglide with the shifter knob next to the ignition hey in the dash. Oh, and had a split transmission with a rear-mounted transaxle and independent rear suspension. Wish I knew more about cars back then to know more about what I had. It had 50-50 weight distribution.

Rit, I remember hearing about that motor, that was back in the day when the different divisions within GM had carte blanche to experiment with different drivetrains, Olds even had's what now a rare aluminum housing rear differential, Buick had if I remember correctly a 231 ci aluminum V-8 in the early 60's that some boneheads even used to power a chainsaw and the list goes on. John DeLorean pushed the envelope within GM when he slipped the GTO passed the upper brass within GM, that started the muscle car craze that lasted until the very early 70's. Just glad that Mary wasn't in charge of GM back in the "glory days".

·
Registered
133 Posts
'67 Camaro, 327, 2 barrel, Powerglide
Was my (single) mother's, and she gave it to me for my HS graduation in '72.
Soon after I swapped the 2-barrel Rochester for a 4-barrel Holley and swapped the Powerslide for a Turbo-Hydromatic 3-speed. A couple of years later I tore down the engine to beef it up - balanced, blueprinted, ported, big cam (don't remember the specs, but it was quite lopey), solid lifters, 11.5:1 pistons, headers. Boring the cylinders to clean/align them changed the engine to a 338CID. Also changed to a Muncie 4-speed with a competition clutch setup. My girlfriend (now wife) had a hard time depressing the clutch, and had a real hard time hitting that sweet spot where you could get a little bit of slip to smoothly get roling from a dead stop.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Lee, HD clutch and no PS, a few hints there. If it happened to have the heater delete option the original owner may have put miles on it at 1/4 mile a time. I assume it had what Ford called "traction lok", do you recall the rear gear ratio?

It had a heater. Don't remember if it had a low speed rear end but it did have posi traction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts