GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to keep new cars for 10 years but I have to tell you it was a long 10 years with my 2012 Equinox. I am so happy to finally get rid of that f'n piece of sh*t. From all 4 doors rusting in the first year and a half to it burning copious amounts oil after about 35 thousand miles, getting new rings and pistons and then having it start burning oil again later in life. Had the catalytic converters replaced, muffler replaced, windshield wiper arms failed, windshield wiper motor failed, muffler seam split open, endless sensors go bad. It seems like the check engine light was on for half the time I owned it. Truly the worst vehicle I have ever purchased and certainly has stopped me from ever purchasing a Chevy again. Now I am a happy Ford guy!

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
I love these posts, I'll never buy a Chevy again.
All those vehicles parked behind every brands dealership are not just there for oil changes....

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
I'll continue with GM, until I get a lemon. Then I will change loyalty. I got burned with a VW Dasher in '74 and would not consider another VW product. It only takes once.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
303 Posts
5 posts / year on average.....sorry I do not recall reading any of your issues my bad. Hope you are enjoying the Ford for now...his post made me laugh.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was one of those that said "never again" when getting rid of my 97 Chev Venture. Now look at me, two trouble free Chevys in my driveway. I was pissed at the time with the van due to the intake gasket leak issue and GM not covering any of the repair but other than that one issue the van was actually trouble free.
So I bought Ford vehicles and ended up spending more on maintenance and repairs on average than I ever did on that Venture. So I stopped getting Ford vehicles and tried Toyota and was back to "never again".
So that is how I now have two Chevys and both have been trouble free for over 4yrs now. I have seen nothing so far to keep me from buying another GM vehicle but we will see what happens.

I wonder what Ford the OP purchased. I work in the industry on a lot of Ford products and can say they have had many poor launches in the last decade and the reason I likely will not buy another one (but clearly have been known to change my mind!).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I try to keep new cars for 10 years but I have to tell you it was a long 10 years with my 2012 Equinox. I am so happy to finally get rid of that f'n piece of sh*t. From all 4 doors rusting in the first year and a half to it burning copious amounts oil after about 35 thousand miles, getting new rings and pistons and then having it start burning oil again later in life. Had the catalytic converters replaced, muffler replaced, windshield wiper arms failed, windshield wiper motor failed, muffler seam split open, endless sensors go bad. It seems like the check engine light was on for half the time I owned it. Truly the worst vehicle I have ever purchased and certainly has stopped me from ever purchasing a Chevy again. Now I am a happy Ford guy!
Curious as to what Ford you bought. My daughter-in-law had an Escape that had the battery up under the windshield, lol. I've seen late model Fords with the AC valve to charge the AC up under the fender - had to remove the wheel and all the plastic in the fender just to add R134A.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a fellow worker that has had two new engines under warranty in his Ford Escape. He is a mechanic so it is not for the lack of maintenance. GM has had some bad ones for sure along with the good ones. The 3.1 & 3.4 v6's did not like the Dexcool crap back then, and then the awful 2.4 really took the awards for worse engine design. GM seems to have learned their lesson as the newer engines have been doing good in the 4 and 6 cylinder department. The V8's is a different story but then Ford has oil issues with their 5.0 Coyote engine.

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
127 Posts
I feel ya on the VW's...nothing worse than a German car assembled in Mexico. Major issues to the tenth power. As far as my '13 V6 Terrain, lovin' it...(as I'm knocking on wood!)

·
Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
82 Posts
Sure, they all have issues, and repeated trips to dealer for problems can be frustrating. GM is the worst at taking responsibility for issues with their vehicles and slow to make corrections to known issues in the manufacturing process. The 2010 to 2017 2.4 is a good example as GM knew they had bad issues as early as 2012 but continued making this engine till 2017 with only minor improvements. When we are paying 30 to 70k or more for a vehicle you expect more not less quality. It only takes one bad one to say never again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It will be a happy day when we get rid of our 2013. I like to call it the Veganox, since it seems GM managed to bring back the oil burning and premature rusting that made the Vega (in)famous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A friend's 2014 Kia is on his 3rd engine. Someone else at work got a Mini that blew a gasket right after power train warranty expires.

My friend's kid is till driving my 2006 Malibu Maxx. Yes, a few things replaced, but it's driving fine. I'm sure someone out there is still driving my 96' Geo Prism, which does have a Toyota engine but the rest of the part is Chevy. Oh talk about POS, I had an Audi once... enough said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts