GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to these forums. I tried doing some research online, and couldnt get the answers I was looking for, and came across these forums and told myself, there is nothing better then to ask the owners themselves.

Anyways, my parents are looking to finally get rid of their 98 Chevy Venture. My dad has his car, and that has to go soon as well, but one at a time. Anyways, my parents (mid aged) have decided to start to research on new cars. Both my sister and I have thrown out a few options to our parents to consider. Now, my mother wants to get a car we all like, because both my sister and I drive (I am 19, she is 21).. Our parents are the parents that tell us to save our money and invest it into something else, rather then cars, OR, save our money for a brand new car (so that cuts out the opportunity for both my sister and I to buy ourselves our own cars)..

Anyways, a few weeks back, my sister told my parents she needed a co-signer because she was going to finance the 2010 Equinox (it brings a smile to her face every time) They said no, for reasons stated above. So as a family, we decided to go car shopping yesterday. We went to visit Jeep, and test drove the Jeep compass ourself. Not a bad car, fits what we are looking for, so its considerable.. Since my sister is in love with the 2010 Equinox, we went to take a look. We test drove it, and now we are all in love with the car. They really upped their Equinox, and I must say, no offense to Chevy, but it doesnt feel like a Chevy car. Very luxurious. Interior is jaw-dropping. Needless to say, my dad will and always will be a GM guy. We looked at the Nissan Rogue as well..

Now, as a teenager, I am used to smaller, more sportier cars. I drive the van once and a while (I refuse to, very embarrassing LOL) I test drove it, I see potential in driving it. Ive driven SUVs, smaller SUVs at that.. (More so the compass size) Will I be okay to adapt to it? I can easily drive the older Equinox, but I feel the new ones are a lot bigger. I mean, since Ive driven both, I should have a good review as how the two compare, but to me, it seems the new one is a lot bigger, even by the looks of it.. Since I havent driven both for a long period of time, its good to get others opinions. Is there much of a difference between the two, if any? The guys at Chevy say its smaller then my van, but I dont see it. Needless to say, the guys behind counters at Chevy are excellent. Again, should I be okay?

Anyways, without a biased opinion, do you feel the 2010 Chevy Equinox is a good family/young adult car (19 and 21) car (it will be under my mothers name - most likely going to get it in white (what ever car we choose)) We are looking for something that doesnt kill us in insurance, and is great on fuel. Again, I love the SUV (wouldnt be my first choice, as a male myself, but for my parents needs and wants, its unreal, just worried about the size of it.

EDIT: Recommendations/Suggestions doesnt have to strictly be an SUV, and equivilant to the 2010 Equinox 1LT (the one we are looking into) or cheaper in price.

All honest opinions are accepted. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The Equinox will definitely be a plus for your Family insurance wise because of the excellent safety features.
Add the great gas mileage, tons of cargo room, comfortable seats front and back, lots of great options such as upgraded sound system, USB + AUX inputs (plug in your iPOD or most any MP3 player) and rear seat entertainment to name a few, I could only dream something such as an Equinox existed when I was 19 years old!
8)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the 2010 equinox will be the perfect family car for you all. While it is versatile enough for your parents' needs it is in my opinion also stylish enough for any young adult. I wouldnt even compare driving this car to driving your Chevy Venture. The Equinox is not at all a large SUV, and in my opinion is about the same size (within inches) of previous Equinox models. My wife and I are both 24 years old without any children and love every thing about this vehicle. I'm 6'5'' and it has the best leg room - no kidding - of any car i've ever been in. There are so many great upgrades you can get on the equinox any of your friends are sure to be jealous. For the age ranges in your family, it sounds like the equinox will be well suited for you.

You're parents are right in my opinion. Until you are out of school and have a stable job and can afford car payments, you should save your money. When you buy a used car you are just buying someone elses problems and headaches. I drove a beater for the longest time and this 2010 Equinox is my first new car. As you and your sister are both young adults as well, I can honestly tell you that your needs from a car will be changing greatly even over the next few years. We havent been let down with it yet, and neither will your family!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the feedback. Again, I love the car, as well as the family. Personally, I was concerned with the size of the car, but besides that, I loved everything about it. I fell in love with the interior. Chevy wouldve been the last company I wouldve thought to go this high end, on the luxurious side, leaving their prices fair. Being in my buddies 05' Cobalt SS Supercharged almost everyday, and seeing how cheezy and "fisher-price" the interior is, to seeing the new GM interiors, I must say, they stepped up their game.

Anyways, we are shopping around for prices at different dealers, never know which saleman can give us a better deal (my sister is friends with one)..

We are looking into the 1LT in white (id rather get black, due to the chrome trim the NOX has. White is my favourite colour on most car, but for some reason, I dont like it on the 10' NOX. Our parents are letting us choose the colour, so we will see.

@lutherm07 Its funny you said that, because a couple summers ago I was going to buy myself a 93' civic bubbleback

After looking at the car twice, my parents said what you said. "why buy other peoples problems?" At the time, I just wanted my own car, and have something to look after, get me to A and B, and to be more responsible. At the time, I would have had to put insurance under my own name, which at the time then, was 7k a year (Canadian) because I was a 17 year old male, driving a sports car with no driving experience. I was really upset at the time, REALLY upset actually lol.. Now, since I am in College, I get 4 months of summer. Both this summer and next summer I will be working and investing my money into GICs (or whatever gives me the best interest).. From there, I will put a down payment in the 2010 GTIs OR buy a 20th anniversary GTI, or a Neon SRT4, depending on my situation at the time.

2010 GTI

20th Anniversary GTI

Neon SRT-4

So I guess my parents did what was best for me. Well, thats enough of ranting and venting for me, thanks again!

As a buyer for a 2010 NOX, what do you all recommend? Any questions needed to ask? Any upgrades worth the purchase?

Thanks again for those who have left considerable feedback, much appreciated, as everything that has been said, makes sense, and it makes me want to go put the deal through today :)..

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW: My opinion on vehicles for young drivers is as follows: Parents should provide a car to drive when they turn 16, and that can be the "hand-me-down" vehicle, meaning it's what one that the parents drove before. I'm not saying buying a used vehicle is bad persay, but it's easier if you know the history. Anyway, the first car should be given to the teen driver (providing they are responsable with it), and the next vehicle should/could be a new one, and parents should co-sign. Again, providing the situation is such that the person has a job and will be responsable with payments. But to just say no with co-signing, that's kind of rough, because almost everyone under the age of 25 will need a good co-buyer to get a new car. Again, not every case...but most. I think if a parent can do that for their kids, it starts them off right with being able to have good credit, and that's so important these days. I plan on doing this for my two daughters when they start driving. In fact, I'm really looking ahead and figuring out what cars we will have for them. Right now, our 2004 Bonneville may be our first daughter's car, but we would have to keep it a total of 14 years before she gets it, then it would be pretty old, but we take care of our cars, and right now it only has 38,000 miles on it so time will be taking a toll before the miles will. Hard to plan this far ahead, but something I always think about. Our Enclave is a little too big for a teen's first vehicle, so that one will most likely not be given to either of them. My parents currently have a 2008 Impala, and they are both in their 80's, so I know they might not be driving THAT much longer, and perhaps we'll buy that car from them for our daughter(s) to use. All too hard to tell now what will come about by the time our daughters start driving (only 7 and 4 now.. ;D) but I still believe it's a parent's job to get their kids started out right with their vehicles, and with their credit, and if I can help by co-signing....by all means I'll do it.

lutherm07 said:
I think the 2010 equinox will be the perfect family car for you all. While it is versatile enough for your parents' needs it is in my opinion also stylish enough for any young adult. I wouldnt even compare driving this car to driving your Chevy Venture. The Equinox is not at all a large SUV, and in my opinion is about the same size (within inches) of previous Equinox models. My wife and I are both 24 years old without any children and love every thing about this vehicle. I'm 6'5'' and it has the best leg room - no kidding - of any car i've ever been in. There are so many great upgrades you can get on the equinox any of your friends are sure to be jealous. For the age ranges in your family, it sounds like the equinox will be well suited for you.

You're parents are right in my opinion. Until you are out of school and have a stable job and can afford car payments, you should save your money. When you buy a used car you are just buying someone elses problems and headaches. I drove a beater for the longest time and this 2010 Equinox is my first new car. As you and your sister are both young adults as well, I can honestly tell you that your needs from a car will be changing greatly even over the next few years. We havent been let down with it yet, and neither will your family!
I agree with lutherm07, about the Equinox being a good all around vehicle for the whole family. Hope your vehicle search goes good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Terrain_fan

Its not that my parents refuse to co-sign, its the fact that my sister will NEVER have a consistent job, hell, in that case, no teen ager will have a consistent job. With school and all, its hard for her to make payments.. Again, she wanted a BRAND NEW 2010 Beetle. She was then going to purchase a new one, and didnt have the money, and her only option was a bank loan, and my parents dont want her to start using loans at the age she is at now. My parents are the typical Italians, thick headed, and hard to get things to slide. Trust me, both my sister and I get frustrated from it, it annoys us..

Right now, there is no car for them to pass down. Even if there was, insurance will be killer. Our parents have their own cars, and if we pick up the 2010 NOX (or any new vehicle in that case), we will get rid of our 98 Chevy Venture (reason why we still have that is because my parents dont care what they drive around, they would rather use their money into something else, rather then new cars every so often. Its because of my sister and I that they are getting a new car. Now, I told my parents to keep the 98 Venture, because its still running well, and its not worth trading it in. I then thought to myself, would I really want to drive a 98 Chevy Venture over a 10' NOX, even if there are 3 drivers with it? Id rather not drive one night, then drive a 98 Venture at the age of 19 lol.. In addition, because there are already two primary drivers, the van would have to go under my sisters name (21 years young, clean driving record, female) BUT its just not worth it for a car like that, a car nobody will want to drive.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
As a parent, I would have to side with your parents on this one. I would not let my child purchase a brand new vehicle unless they had a permanent job and could make the payments - come hell or high water. If my child said they didn't want to drive what I was driving, then I would say - fine, take the shoe leather express ! In my opinion, a new vehicle is earned, and should not be an entitlement for children.

Sorry - maybe I'm old fashioned !

·
Registered
24 Posts
RIT333 said:
As a parent, I would have to side with your parents on this one. I would not let my child purchase a brand new vehicle unless they had a permanent job and could make the payments - come hell or high water. If my child said they didn't want to drive what I was driving, then I would say - fine, take the shoe leather express ! In my opinion, a new vehicle is earned, and should not be an entitlement for children.

Sorry - maybe I'm old fashioned !
You are not old fashioned, or maybe I am to ;D I agree 110% with you!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pretz,

The VW GTI 2010 looks pretty sweet. I dont know about the Neon srt4, but in my experience with dodge you could not GIVE me one for the problems they cause. Just saying, not trying to offend anyone, just my experience with a Durango straight from the bowels of hell itself and a problematic Dakota.

As far as color I have seen some white equinoxes that look good, but we chose the black with chrome. See Picture attached. It takes some effort to keep it clean but when it is clean...whoa.

As far as upgrades we got the LT2 package with add-ons that make it the same as an LTZ for about $1000 less. After driving ours >3k miles so far there are some things i could not live without. Definately leather with heated seats is a MUST. The backup camera is also a MUST. While my wife was adamant about the power liftgate at first,but i love it more and more every day and therefore call it a MUST. We got the 4cyl and have been more than happy with it, especially pleased with the gas mileage. Nav system is cool, but in my opinion WAY overpriced in the equinox, and my wife said if i forfeited the nav system i could buy the best portable GPS i could find :) No kids so we didnt need the rear seat entertainment.

I just bought the molded hood protector today to protect hood and windshield from debris and paint chips/dings. Only $79 from the dealership installed.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean, I agree, as a child. My sister has a job, but is any part time job consistent? I have a seasonal, 4 month job, is that consistent? What I am trying to say is at our age, its convenient to get a car, go to school, go to work, go out, but at the same time, with minimum wage, Id be working for the car and the car only. I mean, my parents would hate for me to go used, because A. Im buying other peoples problems / dont know everything about the car and B. No warranty, let a lone, I cant afford it. Im willing to buy myself my own car, but will my parents give me that opportunity? no. They would rather let me save my money and drive what they are driving, which I am cool with, but I WONT drive a 98 Venture at my age, I am sorry, and they understand that. Im not being spoiled, as I could be at times, but they understand our situation, and because they need a new car, now is the time.

Anyways, thats that.. As far as the NOX, we are looking into the 10' 1LT, it has everything we need and more. Id want the USB port for my IPOD, but my parents dont see its needed for them, as they dont use Bluetooth and dont care for the rest. Again, it is their car, they are being nice enough to let us agree on the car. I guess my question is, what upgrades are NEEDED.. I do want the reverse camera, but weve done without for this long.. I do want a sunroof, so we will see how that goes..

Id hate to get white. I mean, i LOVE white cars, but no offense to all white NOX owners, but I find the white NOX a cheezy white.. It looks washed out.. Im a pearl white type of white guy, like the Ford Flex white.. In addition, there is some nice chrome on the NOX, and you cant see that with the white. Even with the headlights, they are silver, and with the white, it looks washed out. In addition, the black plastic lip kit on the NOX is ugly with white.. Id prefer black, and my parents are leaving the colour to me and my sister. Shes a girl, she wants white, and personally, I dont mind white, hell, on most cars, its my first choice (except the 2010 GTI, Im getting it in candy apple red) but for the 2010 NOX, it just doesnt do it for me. I prefer black. We will see how that goes.. Im always the nice guy, and step down to most arguments, and let the others win. Seems like we will be getting white LOL..

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are a lot of threads in this thread and I'll weigh in on a few of them...
Your sister is 21. I see her as a young adult and agree she could have a new car as long as the co-signer can support the decision. IOW, since she is not a teenager/high schooler, etc, I don't think the hand-me-down car theory applies here.

I see more women driving Crossovers than men; I deduce your sister could be happier in one than you. I am male, however, and think my 2010 NOX LTZ is the most wonderful car I have had out of approximately 25 cars.

I was so in love with it when I bought it that I kept nodding my head yes to all the wonderful options including NAV. So I paid a lot more than I planned and am glad for every option now.

In my pre-buy Internet research, I read test driver reviews rather than forums and ads. When done, my top 3 were Toyota RAV4 2009-2010), Equinox (2010 only) and closely followed by Nissan and VW similar models. Then I visited dealers and drove. No contest! 2010 Nox in every test and consideration! And guess what! The 2nd week after I took delivery Toyota recalls started. Bonus! I wanted to buy Ford b/c of how they handled the recession and the rising reputation of their models. But the 2010 Nox kept beating them in my tests. At least GM has paid back their bailout money last week and I feel better about that.

As you can see from my sig below, mine is black with Black/Titanium leather. So cool! Be aware, you can see photos of other colors in this forum and that might help you make a choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Only thing I suggest checking is the insurance on all the perspective cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts