GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to swap my Denali's 19 inch wheels to 18x8 Platinum Wheels in Gunmetal Grey with a 35mm offset wrapped in 235/55R18 Falken WildPeak A/T Trails. Tires are 3-Peak Mountain severe snow rated so should be a big improvement over the weak Hankooks. 235/60R's probably would have fit but these keep the same wheel diameter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
keep us informed how you like these tires. They are the only all terrain tires in that size i have seen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is also the Yoko Geolanders but I wanted a more aggressive looking tire. If you go with 225/60 you could also get the new Toyo Open Country A/T III but those puppies will run you an extra $230 for a set and I didn't want to go with a narrower tread.

Took them out for just a quick 20 mile run and I didn't notice any real difference in road noise or harshness. There aren't many reviews out on these but they are highly praised on the various subaru forums that I found when researching them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just looking at tires and found this same tire as an option. Since I'm back in OKC full time, I don't necessarily need an A/T tire for the snow aspect of driving like I may have needed when I was considering moving up to PA. However, I am visiting my brother in OR and had to turn around on a trail (well back down the trail a couple hundred yards) because my stock Michelins wouldn't cut the mustard. The other factor on this is that it's FWD and not AWD so I really can't say that the stockers wouldn't have made the trail, but the sign at the beginning stated, "Primitive Road" so there's that.

Still, I've been known to take a vehicle that I think is worthy of a ride into less than desirable conditions and would want something with capable tread underneath me. That being said, what type of driving, such as road conditions surface and/or traction, have you had an opportunity to endure in your travels since putting these tires on your ride?

TIA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All my driving has been done on paved roads so I can't speak to their back road capabilities. I got the tire for their more rugged appearance and something that would perform a lot better in the winter months without going with a dedicated snow tire. The research I did on the subaru outback and crosstek forums was all positive on dirt/desert sand/snow terrains.

Currently I can say I've seen very little difference in mpg and they felt a lot more planted on the roads during some heavy rains compared to the factory Hankooks. Road noise has also stayed the same or decreased slightly but that could be going with a slightly thicker sidewall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fair enough on the answer there.

I don't plan on any off-road adventures, I have a lifted Silvy for stuff like that. However, I do not take the truck on long, out-of-state ventures so I will need something capable if the opportunity were to present itself.

Knowing that the rain capability is respectable is good to know as well as I don't necessarily like to slow my role in rain. The factory Michelins do very well in rain, but like you, I want a more aggressive look for now as well as when I opt for a different wheel selection (I don't keep factory wheels long).

Thanks again for the response....and btw, your vehicle looks VERY GOOD with your wheel and tire selection!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts