GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed an emission test due to the obd 2 test showing catalytic converter and the evaporator test as incomplete. I disconnected the battery before the test to replace the car stereo, not knowing about this. I was told and did find it in the owners manual that you need to drive the car for a few days, weeks, or a few hundred miles for the computer to reset after the battery is disconnected.

Just letting everyone know and wondering if anyone has info on the drive time or miles.

before I bring it back in I will check on my scan tool to ensure these show as ok, not incomplete.

·
Registered
361 Posts
robauto said:
I failed an emission test due to the obd 2 test showing catalytic converter and the evaporator test as incomplete. I disconnected the battery before the test to replace the car stereo, not knowing about this. I was told and did find it in the owners manual that you need to drive the car for a few days, weeks, or a few hundred miles for the computer to reset after the battery is disconnected.

Just letting everyone know and wondering if anyone has info on the drive time or miles.

before I bring it back in I will check on my scan tool to ensure these show as ok, not incomplete.
that is common. its because the computer is void of any codes. it takes about a day or two of driving in all conditions like acceleration and braking and freeway driving. my bff had the same prob. 2 days later her returned to the same smog guy and he passed.

GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep, I had that happen on 98 Yukon after doing some engine work (had battery disconnected for a few weeks). I hooked up laptop with obdii software and watched it until it completed diagnostics, then took it back for the tests. All good.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So glad we dont have emission tests in Michigan anymore..

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we were up in MD, our Malibu would throw a air pump code. I'd clear the codes and drive around for a day or two on back roads until everything was complete. Hit the emissions station and pass. Then get on the interstate and the light would come on. Finally got it fixed but that was pretty easy to pass keeping it off the highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put about 350 miles and the cat I/M is ok, but evap still incomplete, I did mostly highway miles.

I did some more research on the web and also looked at the shop manual and there seems to be a detailed procedure (drive cycle) to clear the I/Ms.

I tried them today, but still incomplete. It says I may have to repeat a few times.

I plan to give it a week of normal driving and if it still incomplete, I will repeat the drive cycles in the manual and the web next weekend.

the procedures vary, but in general warm up the car from cold, drive 55mph for 3 minutes, decel to 20 mph and repeat.

I am surprised it is taking this long. Once resolve I will post the fix, but did anyone else have it go this long?

By the way I have 05 equinox

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a new 2012 for 2 weeks now, put on 360 miles. I still have not completed the OBII cycle, just the O2 Monitor is still pending ? I'm thinking by now this could be a problem?

·
Registered
361 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
I have a new 2012 for 2 weeks now, put on 360 miles. I still have not completed the OBII cycle, just the O2 Monitor is still pending ? I'm thinking by now this could be a problem?
i think emmissions are covered under the 10 year warranty/100k miles

·
Registered
77 Posts
EquinoxFF1063 said:
It can take awhile to complete all the tests. It takes certain criteria to trigger the test and complete it. If you are not having any symptoms, no worries. We don't have to have test station inspections for several years on new cars. Are you saying you are failing inspection or just that you noticed the test has not yet completed or ??

·
Registered
338 Posts
AMG Eric said:
i think emmissions are covered under the 10 year warranty/100k miles
There is no 10 year 100K warranty. Emissions in most states are 3/36. The catalytic converter and the ECM are 8/80 and that's it.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
There is no 10 year 100K warranty. Emissions in most states are 3/36. The catalytic converter and the ECM are 8/80 and that's it.
Wow - I used to think that all/most emissions stuff was warrantied for 8/80. Oh well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hawkeye-08 said:
It can take awhile to complete all the tests. It takes certain criteria to trigger the test and complete it. If you are not having any symptoms, no worries. We don't have to have test station inspections for several years on new cars. Are you saying you are failing inspection or just that you noticed the test has not yet completed or ??
No inspection, nothing failing, no codes, just seems odd that the O2 Monitor has not passed yet, drove another 80 miles today, still has not passed the O2.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am the original item poster. I finally passed all I/Ms. The last one was the evap mon. I did another week of normal driving and it showed ok today. so it took a long time, about 3 weeks and almost 500 miles. I did alot of reading and it appears the evap mon is the toughest. Fuel level, temperature, type of drive cycle are all factors. If you want to do it quick there are specific procedures/ drive cycles in the shop manual or search the web, you should be able to find them. I did get a manual download from this forum, and it showed the detailed procedure to clear all I/Ms. I understand one major factor is let the car sit unused for 17 hrs in between the final cycle. I used them a bit, but I ended up just driving till it cleared. I used an actron cp9580 obd 2 analyzer, which was great because, it can show the test as you are driving. Bought it on amazon for a great price.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to have stepped in on your original thread, today mine finally passed all cycles. Checked yesterday at 440 miles, O2 still not complete, today at 510 miles all is well, got the green light. I think my problem is that I was driving like an ol'church lady trying to squeeze out 32+ mpg for the first 500 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts