GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I dropped my Equinox off this morning to get some tinting done. My plan was to tint the back four to match the hatch window and then tint the front two a few shades lighter.

The guy at the shop told me that the back four already match the hatch tint and that factories never do two different shades of tint on a vehicle. Is this true? To me, it looks like the back four are slightly lighter than the very back!

I wanted them all to match and then tint the front a bit lighter so that I wouldn't start at the front with light tint and slowly move to the darkest on the very back...

·
Registered
830 Posts
They are the same tint. Just search on your windows, the % of tint is marked on each window.

The front windows are also tinted, but very lightly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
lol, yes its true, they are all the same...reason the hatch looks darker is the angle, and the amount of backlight behind it...which is almost none cause your looking at the interior...when you look at the side windows, you are looking right across from another window letting light in....

im actually going to be adding extra tint to the rears, because of all the travelling with my dogs, the darker, the cooler they will be.....so i will probably get 15%-20% ALL around, on top of whats there.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok! Haha that makes sense. Well I guess that makes it cheaper for me then :) lol. I was contemplating doing them all darker if they were in fact the same already (for the same reason as you gar187er)...but i'm doing the fronts at 35% and I wouldn't want them to look like they have nothing on them when compared to near limo tint on the back...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just an FYI according to the manual tinting the glass further with aftermarket will make the GPS stop working if you have the nav. I wanted to get mine done and the shop told me not to because of the nav.

·
Registered
441 Posts
atertan said:
Just an FYI according to the manual tinting the glass further with aftermarket will make the GPS stop working if you have the nav. I wanted to get mine done and the shop told me not to because of the nav.
thats onl y if you use metallic tint, not everything you read in the manual is 100% true....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I just went and looked because I remember seeing different numbers on the windows.

Rear passenger window: 22%
Rear passenger small window 18+-5%
Rear cargo window 22+-5%
Rear window 22%

There ya go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i really suggest llumar tint.....great products.....and have something for every application....lifetime on their films too...find a good tint shop, and dont bargain hunt...your windows will suffer...lol...bubbles, fading, etc.....

llumar tint specs: http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tinted in additional to the factory tint in the rear 15% and on my front windows 15%, I have no issues with the navi.
I used 3M tint as they are non metallic.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To get a nice even tint all around would the front driver and pass. windows need to be about 22 or 23?
Also, why not metallic?

·
Registered
441 Posts
ccharlie said:
To get a nice even tint all around would the front driver and pass. windows need to be about 22 or 23?
Also, why not metallic?
the metallic tint is what interferes with certain navigation units, depending on where the receivers antenna is located, and how strong it is...the signals reflects off the metal inside the tint.....

and yes, but you wont find tint at that rating....comes in 5's...normally 30-25-20-15-10-5-2

you would have to make sure you get a good black/charcoal tint....some tints hue a bit more blue then i prefer....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input! Windows were done on Friday :) I am very happy with them. Fronts are at 35% and rear is what it is haha. The tint guys said it looked to be about 23% and from reading bballr's post it looks like they were in the right ballpark!

I'm confident I found a good tint shop. They were honest about the rear windows being the same...they could have charged me and done them anyway since I thought they were different, but they explained it to me and everything. The tint that I did get is guaranteed for life, as long as I own my Equinox :). All in all I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got my window tint in last week and it matches really good. The downside is that I get reflections off of the dash onto to the inside of the window which in turn looks like it shows up on the outside mirror. It is the light colored lower part of the dash and the left side of the gauge. Like a ghost image. Working on maybe a black piece of cloth or rubber to cover the area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts