GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 08 torrent with the factory stereo how would I go about upgrading it to the nicer factory stereo the one that has the amp and sub built into the back panel. I have it in my 06 Torrent and it actually sounds really good

·
Registered
22 Posts
It can be done but is a huge pain in the ass from what I've seen. Just look into a nice double din. I've seen a vue with a Sony XAV-AX1000 and pioneer door speakers with factory tweeters and is pretty comparable to my moms 07 torrent with the pioneer system. To each their own, but Id do this as you would have a lot less to pull apart. Plus, GMLAN can be picky and not work 100% the way you want it to. From my understanding, and I could be wrong about this, but essentially the radio goes to the amp in the back, which then goes to the BCM and then it goes to the speakers. Where as if you have the factory base radio, it just goes straight out of the radio to the BCM and then to the speakers- a lot less complicated and easier to work with with a lot less stuff to pull apart.

That being said, I have read somewhere of somebody putting in a factory navigation unit and having it programmed without having the pioneer system in the car. Im sure it can be done but might be more trouble then its worth. I love upgrading stuff with better OEM stuff but sometimes you just need to throw in the towel.

Here's the link to the TNR upgrade article from another forum. Hopefully it helps!
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/104716-equinox-nav-radio-upgrade-wpics/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts