GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Factory amp location

69K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  David1402 
#1 ·
Does anyone known where the factory amp is on a 2011 terrain. I have the pioneer system but I want to add an aftermarket amp and subwoofer. In order to do this I have to find the factory amp and tie the line converter in right after the amp. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has a wire diagram for the stereo in the terrain I would appreciate that too.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hello...I'm new here as well. I mainly came here looking for the same information (for my 2011 Equinox)...as there is very little info on this to be found. I THOUGHT I read (somewhere on this forum...don't remember where) that it was located in the rear quarter panel with the sub. However, just speaking with Crutchfield yesterday, I was told the factory amp (this is for the non-Pioneer system in the Equinox) is under the dash on the driver's side. I'm assuming the Terrain will be similar to the Equinox. (?) I haven't had the chance to actually look for it yet. But, maybe this will help you.

Does anyone else have any other information? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

#3 ·
Main radio is behind the slot for the cd in the center stack

Amplifier is behind lower dash panel where the driver's left knee would be

Reactions: face2face11
#5 ·
great credentials - no wonder you know so much about our cars. Care to give us more details about what you actually do for GM ? Or you can just PM me if you don't want to "brag". THX

#6 ·
RIT333 said:
great credentials - no wonder you know so much about our cars. Care to give us more details about what you actually do for GM ? Or you can just PM me if you don't want to "brag". THX
I don't mind - actually, GM requires us to be open and honest about who we are and what we do so there are no misconceptions about our intentions.

I have been with GM for 28 years - 27 1/2 years in the Powertrain side of the business involved with the manufacture and assembly of automatic transmissions. In December of 2010 - the Powertrain plant in Parma, Ohio was closed as part of the bankruptcy re-structuring. The plant was not closed due to performance or it's workforce - the products produced were 4-speed transmission related which were discontinued and therefore the plant became excess floor space. I was able to transfer next door to the Stamping plant which is doing well.

Most of my time has been in electrical and mechanical engineering - mainly supporting production equipment and processes. I have had experience in all parts of the plant operations including working with product design. I ended my Powertrain experience as a maintenance and production manager. I currently am back to electrical engineering work and also project manager for some building related projects.

I have been working on cars since I was very young and am also involved in auto racing as a technical inspector. My strong points obviously are powertrain related, especially engine and transmission controls.

I try to help here where I can within the guidelines of my employment with GM but there are things that I cannot answer. Those issues are best dealt with by GM Customer Service or a GM dealer. The best way to get information about problems with vehicles back to GM is through your dealer or Customer Service. There are mechanisms in place to deal with that information and utilize it to help solve problems.

I know sometimes it may seem that nothing is being done or is being done fast enough - but I have personally worked on warranty issues in the past related to parts I was involved with and permanent solutions are not always easy or quick to find. Many times patterns or trends help identify root causes to issues. For example - a particular failure may be more prevalent in a cold climate vs. a hot climate.

Anyways - hope that helps explain things a little.

Reactions: face2face11
#15 ·
I don't mind - actually, GM requires us to be open and honest about who we are and what we do so there are no misconceptions about our intentions.

I have been with GM for 28 years - 27 1/2 years in the Powertrain side of the business involved with the manufacture and assembly of automatic transmissions. In December of 2010 - the Powertrain plant in Parma, Ohio was closed as part of the bankruptcy re-structuring. The plant was not closed due to performance or it's workforce - the products produced were 4-speed transmission related which were discontinued and therefore the plant became excess floor space. I was able to transfer next door to the Stamping plant which is doing well.

Most of my time has been in electrical and mechanical engineering - mainly supporting production equipment and processes. I have had experience in all parts of the plant operations including working with product design. I ended my Powertrain experience as a maintenance and production manager. I currently am back to electrical engineering work and also project manager for some building related projects.

I have been working on cars since I was very young and am also involved in auto racing as a technical inspector. My strong points obviously are powertrain related, especially engine and transmission controls.

I try to help here where I can within the guidelines of my employment with GM but there are things that I cannot answer. Those issues are best dealt with by GM Customer Service or a GM dealer. The best way to get information about problems with vehicles back to GM is through your dealer or Customer Service. There are mechanisms in place to deal with that information and utilize it to help solve problems.

I know sometimes it may seem that nothing is being done or is being done fast enough - but I have personally worked on warranty issues in the past related to parts I was involved with and permanent solutions are not always easy or quick to find. Many times patterns or trends help identify root causes to issues. For example - a particular failure may be more prevalent in a cold climate vs. a hot climate.

Anyways - hope that helps explain things a little.

Not sure that you will see this quick enough for me before a 2 hour road trip 🤣 but my radio quit working, the words and clock and stuff do but no sound , not for the radio or the door chimes etc .. I’ve checked fuses and I’ve disconnected battery, which worked one time but not anymore. (<<< not grammatically correct I know but I’m frantically trying to get this fixed before driving a somewhat long ways today )

#7 ·
Thanks - By your handle, does that mean that you are a graduate of the GM Institute ?

It is nice to have "insiders" following this Forum.

#8 ·
RIT333 said:
Thanks - By your handle, does that mean that you are a graduate of the GM Institute ?
It is nice to have "insiders" following this Forum.
Yes - GMI Engineering and Management Institute (gmiemi) - formerly General Motors Institute - currently Kettering University

bachelors degree in electrical engineering

#10 ·
Instead of putting in a subwoofer to cut down engine noise, why didn't GM just use a different exhaust system and let the subwoofer be part of the stereo. I have a 2014 Equinox LT1. If I disable the AND will the sub be available for the stereo and what can I expect by disabling the ANC? Thanks

#11 ·
You'd have to get the 8 speaker amp and do a swap.If you want,I can link a thread I made which covers part numbers and installation process.

BTW....the 8 speaker that I mention in the thread not only activates your subwoofer for music but you get the added benefit of retaining the ANC system.

#16 ·
I'm no help with your radio problem, but if it's music you want for your road trip, you can just get a cheap
portable cd player and plug it into your aux plug. Works and sounds great.
That is what I do. My factory cd player went t#$s up last year and I use a sony portable cd player with the remote
control. I think it sounds better than the factory player so i'm in no hurry to tear apart the infotainment center
to replace it. The little remote fits right in the cup holder. Pretty slick. I can't even drive to the store without my music. Lol.

#17 ·
Does anyone known where the factory amp is on a 2011 terrain. I have the pioneer system but I want to add an aftermarket amp and subwoofer. In order to do this I have to find the factory amp and tie the line converter in right after the amp. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has a wire diagram for the stereo in the terrain I would appreciate that too.

Thanks
I have that same problem