GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
You would think that something as simple as getting new tire should be an easy process. But, NO...

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
You would think that something as simple as getting new tire should be an easy process. But, NO...
The most many of us can do is read tire reviews at several of the tire web sites.
That has worked for me for the last 12 to 15 years or so.
But after the little driving and use we've made of our vehicles for the past 2 years, not sure when we may need new tires.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I’m not alone!

See post #2 by “1954 Chevy“ (at the Dealer!):

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So guess what (??) ... the re-balance with the stick-on weights worked!

The steering wheel is not moving anymore. I got home after work last might, quickly swapped all four wheels, then drove down that same stretch of road just outside the subdivision ... 40, 50 ... even 60 mph ... no shaking. I was shocked! I thought for sure the problem would still be there and I'd be ripping the tires off the rims this weekend!

And I actually noticed the difference just driving out of my driveway ... it was smooth as glass, like I was floating on air. And I couldn't believe it! Kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it didn't! Even went further onto the highway and took it up to 75 ... and ... it wasn't perfect, but it was still very good, and believable that I may now have some other minor front-end issue to iron out.

So I stopped by the Shop this morning to follow up, but the guy who did the last two Balances was off. He should be there tomorrow. I want to find out why this happened. There are several possibilites:

1.) Different Machines Used: I think I've only noticed one machine, but I could be wrong. You would think they'd have at least two, right?

2.) Different People: I'm pretty sure the guy who originally did the balancing was not the guy I've been dealing with since (who lined up the one Red Dot, and then re-balanced a 2nd time with the Stick-On weights). Although this guy was there the first time around, and was near the Balancing Machine ... not sure if he was actually doing it, just being trained that day, or just killing time watching the other guy do it.

3.) Machine has a problem Balancing with Clip-On Weights versus Stick-On Weights: Or could the Machine have been erroneously set up to attach Weights on the front and back (as if a Steel Rim were being balanced), but then the weights were only attached to the back? This would be Operator Error, I guess?

It's obviously the same tires and rims each time. So what changed? It's probably the person doing the balancing. In fact, when the one tire was "spun" (to line up the Red Dot, like the others), and then re-balanced ... that one tire might've been done properly ... but the other three were still bad, so the problem remained. It's possible it would've worked out fine had the other three just been re-balanced with the Clip-On weights (instead of ripping all the Clip-Ons off and switching to the Stick-Ons).

I also took note of how many weights were used (and where) with the Clip-Ons the first time, versus what ended up being used for the Stick-Ons. I don't have those numbers with my right now, but I'll post back with it. Just not sure if this means anything because they're being placed in different locations (and maybe centripetal/centrifugal forces play a role to making their placement very different). But it does look strange that every time the Stick-On weights have been used (at the factory and now at this Shop), the weights are always clustered together. But the Clip-On's always seemed to be attached at like 4 and 8 o'clock.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
OK ... here are the weights that were used on each wheel balancing them the FIRST time (using "Clip-On" weights, noted "C/O") versus the SECOND time (using "Stick-On" weights, noted "S/O"):

1.) Front Left Wheel: FIRST: 3 separated C/O totaling 4.0 oz SECOND: 7 clustered S/O totaling 3.5 oz

2.) Front Right Wheel: FIRST: 3 separated C/O totaling 2.75 oz. SECOND: 4 clustered S/O totaling 2.0 oz.

3.) Back Left Wheel: FIRST: 2 separated C/O totaling 1.50 oz SECOND: 3 clustered S/O totaling .75 oz

4.) Back Right Wheel: FIRST: 5 separated C/O totaling 3.75 oz SECOND: 6 clustered +1 separated S/O totaling 3.5 oz

... so in every case, the Stick-On method required less weight. But maybe if the Clip-Ons had been done correctly the weight numbers would've been closer (or even the same)?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just wondering what the lead density composition difference is between stick on and clip on lead weights?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just wondering what the lead density composition difference is between stick on and clip on lead weights?
Most of the weights these days are made of steel and are higher density than zinc but not as dense as lead. Several states have banned lead weights as well.

However it would take more steel weights to get the same balancing weight compared to lead.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Getting new tires installed this Friday. Ordered a new set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II from Walmart. They were shipped to the house and arrived in only 3 days. Trying a mobile tire installer to come to the house and install the tires. They get 5 star reviews, so figured I would give it a try.

In any event, the new tires do not have any red or yellow dots on them anywhere. One has a white dot, and a couple of others have small blue lines. From what I have gathered, these marks should be lined up with the valve stem when the tires are installed. Supposedly makes balancing easier. It would be nice if the tire industry would use some sort of standard with these marks. I guess I will mention it to the installer and see what they say.

Can't wait to see what kind and how many stick on weights will be needed. Hopefully the one I currently have that is across the inside of the wheel will go away.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@arcee : So this guy's gonna roll onto your property with a Tire Balancing Machine in tow? Try to snap a picture. I've never heard of this ... and I don't think it's available where I am ... or I'd be very surprised if it is ...

·
Registered
782 Posts
@arcee : So this guy's gonna roll onto your property with a Tire Balancing Machine in tow? Try to snap a picture. I've never heard of this ... and I don't think it's available where
I am ... or I'd be very surprised if it is ...
They have a vehicle with all of the equipment installed in it. Pretty slick set up

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
@arcee : Huh! So they do this in (pretty much) Pennsylvania only ... out of multiple Jack Williams Tire Centers? And what do they charge per tire? It's got to be on the high side ... especially if you're not buying the tires from them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
@arcee : Huh! So they do this in (pretty much) Pennsylvania only ... out of multiple Jack Williams Tire Centers? And what do they charge per tire? It's got to be on the high side ... especially if you're not buying the tires from them.
The mobile guy just finished the installation. Took him 1 hour. He used stick-on weights (the traditional chiclet type.)

Installation was not that much more than other local shops. They charged $35 per tire to mount and balance. Local shops are currently $25-$30.

Installation costs are the same regardless of whether you buy tires from them or supply your own.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Did he take the old tires away? That would be reflected in costs as most places charge for old tire disposal.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Registered
782 Posts
Did he take the old tires away? That would be reflected in costs as most places charge for old tire disposal.
I was charged $4/tire for them to take the old tires away. There are only 4 locations within my county that accept tires directly from residents for disposal, and they all charge a fee. Paying the installer a fee to dispose of the old tire saves time and hassle. All installers charge a disposal fee, usually between $3-$5/tire.

The state of PA assesses $1 per tire new tire fee on all new tires, and then drivers pay another fee on the same tires when you dispose of them. Kind of a racket, but nothing that can be done about it. It is not uncommon to see tires on the side of the road or in dumpsters because people simply don't want to pay the disposal fee. Getting caught dumping like that is a several hundred dollar fine around here. Not sure why people would risk getting caught and having to pay several hundred dollars instead of simply paying the $3-$5/tire...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts