GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new equinox AWD LTZ V6, Equinox for a few weeks, and I am really impressed with it. I would have posted sooner, but haven't had a chance.

Here is what I got:

Mocha Steel Metallic
LTZ
V6
Power Sunroof
tow package (just for bike rack)
Rear Seat Entertainment.

My first comment is that this is as nice as any luxury vehicle. It has every feature I could want. (I chose not to get the navigation system due to cost, and that I already have a portable GPS. It would have been nice to get the navigation system, but it was just too expensive).

I can't say enough good things about the rear entertainment system. While both kids can watch the same program on the dual screens, because it has dual screens with the ability to use multiple inputs, the kids often watch separate programs. We have an ipod 4G that we plug into the AV jacks so that one kid can watch movies on the DVD and one can watch a movie through the ipod (we have digital copies of tons of movies thanks to my kids knowing our password for iTunes, and buying movies in digital format). The dual channel headphones come in handy. Then my wife and I can listen to what we want to up front. This really makes life easier since the kids no longer have to fight over which movie to watch. (Boys and Girls can be funny like that) My wife and I can even plug our iphones into the usb to listen to our playlists. Although, I really do enjoy Sirius/XM.

I love the bluetooth phone. I really appreciate hand free calljng.

The sunroof is fun, as I'm a former convertible driver. I'm also infatuated with the power lift gate. I just love being able to open the rear with the remote. My hands are always full, and this makes life so much easier.

Even my somewhat snobby wife appreciates all the features. Everything works very intuitively.

The ride is comfortable, not perfect, but good enough. The V6 is somewhat underpowered, but I knew that going in. The gas mileage so far has been great. Perhaps my only real complaint is how small the cargo area is in the back. But we have a larger SUV (Honda Pilot) if we need to move big things. (I would add my frustration to the ordering process, but that territory has already been covered)

Overall, I just love the Equinox. It is luxurious both inside and out. It handles nicely, and just has every feature that anyone can want in a vehicle.

We are heading on the road this weekend, so it will be its first real test.

Just thought I'd share to let anyone know that GM can make a great vehicle when it puts its mind to it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
rs505 said:
The V6 is somewhat underpowered, but I knew that going in. The gas mileage so far has been great.
I would disagree with that honestly...When you consider the engine size (3.0L) and the fact it has plenty of power (top end), the only issue with the V6 honestly is the gearing is too steep for an engine designed to rev, once you get it going its a blast in the rpms, and tows just fine. I tow atleast a waverunner every weekend, I helped a friend move last weekened, and it had most of his 2 bd room condo, and it towed the load with ease.

There are some improvements coming out for the engine, other then that I can not talk too much about it at this time, but expect better MPG and power through tuning in the near future

·
Registered
13 Posts
You’ve got my car. Well almost. I have been driving the 2010 Nox LTZ for nine months now and every drive is like driving a brand new car off the lot. We bought it during the Cash-for-Clunkers frenzy. Our local dealer had one in stock, the first they had received. It had everything, included some features we might not have chosen if we were ordering, but we fell in love after a short test drive and drove it home. Now we look for excuses to get on the road. It has the rear seat entertainment, but our kids are grown and our two grandsons are still too young to borrow. We may have to adopt just to get the full value of the rear seat video. We got a Yakima rack for the bikes that works perfectly. I love the nav so much, I use it where I don’t even need it. My wife thinks I have the hots for the Nav lady. I love using the bluetooth to call my sister because my wife and I can join in the same conversation. I think tonight we’ll go watch Avatar in the garage. I honestly think that the driving experience has improved with the miles and we have put a lot of miles on the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
GM is building a reputation for surprising people with vehicles that deliver much more than other makers. I think it's well deserved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was flipping channels last Saturday and Motor Trend week was comparing the KIA Sorrento to the Equinox. The Sorrento had more cargo room , lower price tag, and supposedly a cushier ride. However, Equinox beat the KIA on fuel efficiency, acceleration, comfort, "luxury" type interior and almost every other category. A lot of the standard items on the 'Nox were only available as options on the Sorrento.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've had my 2010 Silver ice metallic LT since December 09 and I'm very pleased as well. Of course it isn't perfect, but it was overall more perfect than the competition that I also test drove...and that included the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape/Edge. All of the competition had certain things I liked/disliked...but when I actually wrote out a list of pros/cons for each vehicle (including cost) the new Equinox squeaked out a narrow victory over the Honda CRV. Seven months later and I still feel I made the right choice..

·
Registered
43 Posts
NoobNox said:
I've had my 2010 Silver ice metallic LT since December 09 and I'm very pleased as well. Of course it isn't perfect, but it was overall more perfect than the competition that I also test drove...and that included the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tucson, Ford Escape/Edge. All of the competition had certain things I liked/disliked...but when I actually wrote out a list of pros/cons for each vehicle (including cost) the new Equinox squeaked out a narrow victory over the Honda CRV. Seven months later and I still feel I made the right choice..
I test drove a CRV and the ride was so rough I was developing a headache by the time I got back to the dealer. For me the closest competition was the Subaru Outback. It has more cargo room, roomier back seats, and a CVT transmission, but it also has a steering wheel shake issue that they have been unable to fix so far.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
gsuter said:
I test drove a CRV and the ride was so rough I was developing a headache by the time I got back to the dealer. For me the closest competition was the Subaru Outback. It has more cargo room, roomier back seats, and a CVT transmission, but it also has a steering wheel shake issue that they have been unable to fix so far.
I didn't even look at the Subaru, but I've heard (could be right or wrong) that CVT's have more issues than normal automatics, and can be prohibitively expensive to repair out of warranty. One of my neighbors owns a trans/brake repair shop and says that he can't even take on a CVT repair if a certain one of his mechanics is on vacation...and many shops won't touch them. CVT sounds good on paper, but I think the technology needs a few more years to become mainstream..

·
Registered
51 Posts
'We have had ours for about 5 days.Got 450 kms on it .I am a tall guy 6' 5" and I sure like the room.With the seat all the way down I'm almost in the backseat and can just reach the wheel.Love it .Gettin used to Radio and Bluetooth tried my Ipod all works good.Now just gotta go wash it and go for a drive

·
Registered
1 Posts
rs505 said:
I can't say enough good things about the rear entertainment system. While both kids can watch the same program on the dual screens, because it has dual screens with the ability to use multiple inputs, the kids often watch separate programs. We have an ipod 4G that we plug into the AV jacks so that one kid can watch movies on the DVD and one can watch a movie through the ipod (we have digital copies of tons of movies thanks to my kids knowing our password for iTunes, and buying movies in digital format). The dual channel headphones come in handy. Then my wife and I can listen to what we want to up front. This really makes life easier since the kids no longer have to fight over which movie to watch. (Boys and Girls can be funny like that) My wife and I can even plug our iphones into the usb to listen to our playlists. Although, I really do enjoy Sirius/XM.
I have been trying to figure how to use the rear entertainment system using the content on the kids ipod. Are you using an av to ipod cable that uses the video audio cable (three plugs that are red, yellow and red) or the Composite AV cables which plugs into the bottom of the ipod?

Thanks.

Grunts

·
Registered
748 Posts
grometsc said:
There are some improvements coming out for the engine, other then that I can not talk too much about it at this time, but expect better MPG and power through tuning in the near future
Intriguing. May I ask how you know the updates are coming?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts