GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expecting my new 2019 Nox in a few weeks and wondering if I should opt for the extended warranty.

If it was reasonable I would get it for piece of mind but it is $3000 to bump the standard 3 year warranty to 5 years to match the 5 year power train warranty and if I want to go the max of 7 years for both it is over $5000.

Most articles I read recommend putting this money in a high interest savings account and just stay with the free warranty.

Any opinions from actual owners?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is that the GMPP coverage you are referring to?

I purchased the Allstate Premier Care service contract for my 2019 from my dealer.
It is a 72 month, 75,000 mile; essentially an extension of the 3/36 bumper to bumper.

They also had the GMPP available, but they probably make more commission by selling the Allstate service contract, and pushed it over the GM version. Which is better? Time and miles may tell!

The cost: $1981.00 with no deductible.

The price you are quoted is quite high in my opinion, as what I have is very comprehensive for much less cost.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same thing ..got major guard from Ally ...sold by dealership for 1800 or so.basically an extension of b2b upto 72 months/72000 miles. I believe there is a deductible of 50 or 100.
It is peace of mind...as i got a first model year...

you may invest 1800 in the market and it may become 3000 and cover all major repairs in 5 years to 6 years

I remember getting an electric window repaired for 300 and a moonroof did not get repaired for 800. Looking all the electrical stuff...electric trunk opener, all the sensors, the infotainment, remote start etc etc along with turbo diesel ...at least i am at ease and believe i'll drive for 5 years at least without something not working.

You are buying a second year version...they may have improved things that they found prone to failure ..so investment may be a better deal.

But like life insurance it is a personal choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your going to keep it for longer then the factory warranty in my opinion an extended warranty is a must.

I bought the GMPP with my 2014 Traverse when it was new for $2000 CAD (about $1500 USD) which extended the coverage it to 7 years with $0 deductible.

Last summer the rear A/C went and after getting that fixed along with a leaking power steering hose the total was just over $2000
so it paid for itself in 1 visit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a quote from Ensurall . It is 10 years 200k km for $2600 as compared to the GM total plus 7 years 160K km for $5700. I don't understand why GM is pricing itself out of the market.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I wonder if GMs price is so high because they built the car, so they have a good idea of what will go wrong ? LOL

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Its essentially a gamble.

My wife bought the extended warranty on her 2013 Equinox. (her Honda had broken down on her a few times- and her coworkers said GM/Chevys were no good).

Warranty has expired. Nox is running great.

·
Registered
958 Posts
With all the electronics in the new vehicle, we opted for an extended warranty. However, recommend you shop around; there are less expensive warranties with equal coverage than what you have been quoted.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I'm sticking with my theory that if I don't have enough faith in the reliability of a car that I am buy such that I feel a need to buy an extended warranty, then I must be buying the wrong vehicle. My thoughts have been true so far, but maybe at some time I will get burned, and then start buying extended warranties.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My theory is that the harder the dealer pushes the warranty, the more they think you won't have to use it. If they didn't think they'd make money on it, they wouldn't do it.
I did buy an extended warranty on a 2003 CTS - kept the car 7 years and never used the warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am going to go with the Ensurall 10 year power train plus warranty for just $1700 . It would cover the major failures if they happen after 5 years (and if the company is still in business).

Only disadvantage is I can not do my own oil changes since they insist on authorized proof it was done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another question about a warranty: if you don't purchase it from the dealer (whatever brand of warranty), will the dealer honor it? Will your local mechanic honor it? (My local mechanic doesn't do warranty work.)
For me, I purchased a 2010 Equinox in 2013 with 80,000 miles on it. I purchased the extended (non-GM) warranty from the dealer ($2,300). I had a few sensors go out, which were covered ($50 deductible). Then my transmission went out at 116,000 miles ($4,000) & it was covered. I am glad I purchased the extended warranty!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm sticking with my theory that if I don't have enough faith in the reliability of a car that I am buy such that I feel a need to buy an extended warranty, then I must be buying the wrong vehicle. My thoughts have been true so far, but maybe at some time I will get burned, and then start buying extended warranties.

if you stick up you’re theory and only get burned once every 4-5 vehicles you’ll still be ahead moneywise.. just look at how much you’d have spent in the past on warranties that you didn’t use.

that being said my luck hasn’t been as good with gm.
our 2010 terrain is a disaster lol bought it used at 60k miles as certified preowned and the amount t of money weve put into it by 100k is unreal the extended warranty they offered to 125k miles would have only cost about 20% as much as we’ve spent on it. transmission, cam solenoids, all wheel bearings, 2 calipers, throttle body, exhaust manifold (it’s 2nd one) 1st was done at 59k when they did the oil consumption rebuild right before we bought it. i’m sure there’s other small things but those are the ones that come to memory.

my 2015 equinox was flawless to over 60k miles when i traded it in other than one 02 sensor at 12k miles which warranty covered.. i would have lost money on that warranty. they are a gamble but i’m seriously considering getting one on my 2018 before the factory warranty expires... after a 18 months of ownership it just feels soo cheaply built compared to the last generation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I bought my 2015, I declined the extended warranty. I basically told the finance person that I trusted the vehicle and the standard manufacturer's warranty should suffice. The finance person looked me right in the face and literally said "I thought you would be smarter than that..." Aside from being insulting and demeaning, I almost ended the deal right there. However I had already been at the dealer for 3 hours, had negotiated a great price, and wanted the vehicle.

In most cases extended warranties are a total waste of money on a brand new car. Take the extra $50/mo you would be paying on the loan for the added warranty, and put it in a savings account each month. By the time the car is paid off you will have anywhere from $1,800-$3,000 in an account that you can either use as a down payment for a new car, or for repairs outside of warranty on the car you just paid off.

If you are buying late model pre-owned or certified pre-owned, then some sort of supplemental extended warranty might prove to be worthwhile. That would be the only time I would even consider an extended warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Assuming you're buying the car as if you're leasing, who cares. Those prices are CRAZY. The Dealer F&I (Finance and Insurance) dept makes more money than they do on the car. I bet you can get it for half and then it's probably worth it. Don't go with anything except a GM policy. If an outside company goes out of business your dealer with just say "see I told you". At least if GM goes bankrupt again the government will bail them out and you'll be OK. On my 2018 Terrain Denali I leased it so I didn't care but they then shifted into trying to sell me tire and wheel etc packages, told them no, they said they'll give me 30 days, in 2 weeks the price drop by 1/3 and just before the 30 days it was half price. I still turned it down. If you're keeping the car because of all the electronics etc you can't afford to go without it but get a better price and go with the GM policy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Assuming you're buying the car as if you're leasing, who cares. Those prices are CRAZY. The Dealer F&I (Finance and Insurance) dept makes more money than they do on the car. I bet you can get it for half and then it's probably worth it. Don't go with anything except a GM policy. If an outside company goes out of business your dealer with just say "see I told you". At least if GM goes bankrupt again the government will bail them out and you'll be OK. On my 2018 Terrain Denali I leased it so I didn't care but they then shifted into trying to sell me tire and wheel etc packages, told them no, they said they'll give me 30 days, in 2 weeks the price drop by 1/3 and just before the 30 days it was half price. I still turned it down. If you're keeping the car because of all the electronics etc you can't afford to go without it but get a better price and go with the GM policy.
The only GM plan that covers electrical, computer, and audio system is the Major Guard plan [or current GM sponsored equivalent...they change the name of the plans every once in a while]. That plan tends to be very expensive and not necessarily any better than putting $50 aside each month in an emergency auto fund. The other GM plans cover electrical or certain parts of it, but audio and computer are excluded.

It makes no sense for an F&I guy to even try and sell an extended warranty on a leased vehicle, unless you are talking a 48 or 60 month lease. All of those other packages like wheel/tire, upholstery protection, etc. are pure profit for a dealer and not even worth the paper they are printed on. For example, you can buy Scotchguard Auto upholstery protector at WMart for $6.50 per can. Way cheaper to do that every 6 months than to buy the dealer's package [all they will do is spray the seats with the same product before you drive the car home.]

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
If it was reasonable I would get it for piece of mind but it is $3000 to bump the standard 3 year warranty to 5 years to match the 5 year power train warranty and if I want to go the max of 7 years for both it is over $5000.
What you are considering is spending $5000 above and beyond the factory warrantee in repairs. You can buy a used vehicle for $5000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts