GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought an extended warranty on a recent Terrain or Equinox? I bought my 19 Terrain SLT in January of this year and declined the extended warranty. I've really been liking this car and I can see myself keeping it for a while. I already have 15k miles on it. I went to the dealership and they said GM doesn't offer extended warranties that can be bought after the vehicle's purchase, unlike Ford. The dealer said they do all their extended warranties through Ally Insurance. They quoted me $2,400 to extend the bumper to bumper warranty (not including wear items such as brakes, tires, suspension, etc) to 100,000 miles. I'm wondering if there is any difference in price from dealer to dealer or if it's pretty much the same across the board? Had some transmission issues within the first 2,000 miles of ownership so I am slightly worried about keeping this car without a full warranty. Dealer said that the average repair on a Terrain is $800-$1200 FWIW.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought GMEPP can be purchased virtually any time, with "new" pricing up to one year or 12,000 miles and "used" pricing beyond that? I plan to look into it at about the 10-11 months or 11,000 mile mark.

Tom

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
There are so many "extended warranties".
The one the OP is referencing is a relatively new product GM offers only at the time of sale.
It adds an additional 2 years of the actual factory B to B warranty to a vehicle. I purchased it at the time of sale for our 2019 Acadia.

It shows up on your Chevrolet or GMC warranty status as +2 years of the factory warranty immediately. There is no paper work or other documents involved. It is all inclusive and simply an extension of the original Factory B to B Warranty.

It can only be added at the time of a new vehicle purchase. Something new GM is doing to get in on the extended warranty business.

The GMEPP , Chevrolet and GMC Extended warranty products can be bought after the vehicle is owned for a few years. They are not as all inclusive as the factory B to B warranty. IE . . they do not cover some items like the radio and other electronics in many cases, some HVAC components, and other parts.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Dealer said that the average repair on a Terrain is $800-$1200 FWIW.
Either your dealer does not know how to calculate "average", or they are referring to "major" repairs. I think that they are stretching the truth to scare you into the extended warranty. Just my $0.02

JayTee - I am shocked that you bought the extended warranty on your Acadia. Care to comment on what you paid, and why you did it ? I thought that you Equinox was pretty much flawless.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was offered the same 2 year extension of the bumper to bumper warranty on our 19' terrain denali at the time of purchase. Price was the same as well IIRC $2,400. I declined. I wish GM would get with the times and bring their warranties in line with others. No way I was giving GM another $2,400 for their already deficient warranty but we love the car and also plan to keep it for 10 years or more so fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
One thing for sure, these companies know to the dollar how much they can make, on average, on these warranties. If certain items are excluded, those are the areas that will need repairs. That's probably why the B2B GM extension is rather expensive. As vehicles get more expensive and complicated the failures increase and repair costs go up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Companies sell extended warranties because they make money from them., They don't do it to be nice guys. Once in a while someone makes out, but odds are in favor of the house. Why else would they sell them?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Either your dealer does not know how to calculate "average", or they are referring to "major" repairs. I think that they are stretching the truth to scare you into the extended warranty. Just my $0.02

JayTee - I am shocked that you bought the extended warranty on your Acadia. Care to comment on what you paid, and why you did it ? I thought that you Equinox was pretty much flawless.

The Equinox was fine no issues.
We decided on the GM extended Factory warranty on our Acadia SLT because it is tacked onto the GM factory warranty and was much cheaper than other non inclusive after market warranties.

If it hadn't been a genuine GM extension on the bumper to bumper we would have declined. Also, we could put it on our GM card and got the benefit of those $ on it. We even put a down payment our GM card to purchase the Acadia so got that money on the card as well. We had all cash to buy, but they let us do the GM card thing within reason. Paid the card off the next week as per usual.

Also, the price just like the vehicle is "negotiable". I would never pay $2,400. It cost us $1,400. Laura sells lots of vehicles, so perhaps that had a factor in price.

Because of all the extra technology, we felt it a good choice for us.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I might have bit at $1,400. Didn't realize the price was negotiable and was not offered a lower price when declining

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought GMEPP for my daughter's 2015 Encore. It has one month left on the factory 4yr/50k warranty. I did the same for the 2011 Nox, waiting till the last minute. The Nox ran out of GMPP last year. It is cheaper to shop around from dealers across the country. This is my third time buying the GMPP from "dark" Cadillac dealer in NJ. Usually the one with $0 deductible is $300 higher than the $100 deductible. It only takes 3 visits to break even on that one.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I might have bit at $1,400. Didn't realize the price was negotiable and was not offered a lower price when declining
When we bought the wife's 2018 Encore, we got the extended warranty from the Buick dealer thru Allstate.
They had six different policies, each one you could pick a different amount of time in months, mileage, and deductible.
This is what determined your price.

The six different plans went from base to premium.
This is what determines what is covered.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts

The first price the dealer offered to us was $1,700 for the GM Xtnd Warranty and $2,200 for some aftermarket plan. We declined both. He then asked if there was anything that would help us to decide to get one or the other.

We said a lower price and that we would only consider the GM Xtnd Warranty. That was when he offered it for $1,400.

I've read of so many who have radio issues, A/C or other climate control issues, and other "tech" problems on these newer cars. Just a radio related issues can cost $$$ to $$$$.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Also, we could put it on our GM card and got the benefit of those $ on it. We even put a down payment our GM card to purchase the Acadia so got that money on the card as well. We had all cash to buy, but they let us do the GM card thing within reason. Paid the card off the next week as per usual
How much did they let you put on your GM Card? Every time I’ve asked to do this they’ve capped it at $500, so I’ve never bothered.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We were offered just one plan, at one price. Seemed high to me so I declined and that was the end of the conversation. Surprising since we went for the denali and all available options, they could have talked me into an extended warranty for a lower price

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did a little research online and through a Silverado and Corvette forum found a guy named Dennis Fichtner, who works at Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Montana. Sells genuine GM extended warranties (which I was told by my dealer doesn't exist). He said the pricing is tiered so I have until 19,999 miles to buy the warranty at the price that I was quoted (Currently have 15k). If I wait until 20-30k, I will pay a few hundred more. The 4 year, 75,000 mile warranty will bring me out to 94,999 miles. With a $100 deductible, $1417. With a $0 deductible, $1617. With the deductible, you only pay it once per part regardless of how many times that part needs to be warrantied. Prices are out the door (no sales tax or fees). Does not cover battery, tires, brake pads, brake rotors, windshield wiper blades, light bulbs and lenses, interior upholstery, speakers, key fob, weatherstripping, exhaust/ emissions components or paint (which are both covered under standard 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty). Can be used at any dealership nationwide. Includes roadside assistance to nearest dealer, rental car reimbursement, and trip interruption coverage (lodging and food if more than 100 miles from home for up to 4 days). Warranty can be transferred to new owner of vehicle for a $75 fee. Cancel at any time. (Full refund within 60 days and no claims, prorated refund thereafter).

That being said, I think it is worth it for the peace of mind. I've never owned a car that didn't need repairs between 36k and 100k miles. I will probably go with the $0 deductible for $200 more.
Hopefully this information is useful to anyone else considering a warranty for their GM vehicle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased its predecessor (GMPP) for the Acadia when it was at about 11,000 miles. Got it over the phone from an AZ dealer for a deeply discounted price with zero deductible. It more than paid for itself.

Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
Extended Warranty worth

I'm not sure this is worth $0.02, but here goes. I figure not buying extending warranties on just my last three vehicles (2005 Chevrolet 2500HD/8.1L/Allison/13 yrs/67,000 miles towing 14,000lb fifth wheel, 2007 Pontiac Vibe/1.8L/5 vrs/ 27,000 miles, 2012 Chevrolet Malibu/2.4L/7 yrs/56,000 miles) with a total of less than $800 in out of warranty repairs (all on the truck) allows me at least $9 to $10K or more (assuming the warranties were extended) in repairs on the new Equinox, something I doubt will happen.Another note, I haven't owned the thing two months yet and I am getting robo-called to death about the "emergency" situation I am in regarding my vehicle's warranty.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Another note, I haven't owned the thing two months yet and I am getting robo-called to death about the "emergency" situation I am in regarding my vehicle's warranty.
You are not alone regarding the robocalls, but it isn't linked to not purchasing extended warranty. I elected to purchase the extended warranty, and I too am hounded with robocalls to purchase extended warranties. Additionally, I continue to get robocalls regarding the vehicle that was traded in on the 'Nox. My theory, the state department of motor vehicles sells lists of new purchased new vehicle (or they are made public thru other means) and the warranty companies use blanket calling processes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
People want to storm area 51.. I say the heck with that, let's find out where that extended warranty call center is located and storm THAT place

1 - 20 of 20 Posts