GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife and I just purchased a Chevy Equinox 2010 model. We are very happy with it. I wanted to hear from people who have
purchased the extended Chevy Warranty and to get their feedback. Is it worth it? I know there are a lot of expensive
components (many of them being electrical/electro-mechanical). I think this warranty would cost approx $2,100 for 5 yr/
100,000 miles bumper-bumper except any wear and tear.

Also, our dealer has offered us a dent-ding warranty, which costs approx $900 for 5 years,100K miles.

Please offer any comments or thoughts on this.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not worth it. Put the $900 in a savings account and use it for repairs if needed. If not needed take the kids to Disney.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I bought the Total Plus at the time of purchase. Cost $1,800 CAD to extend to six years and 80,000 kms.

I think it was worth it. Time will tell. It's more of a piece of mind thing.

Check the fine print... there is quite a bit that these plans DO NOT provide coverage for.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Terrain said:
I bought the Total Plus at the time of purchase. Cost $1,800 CAD to extend to six years and 80,000 kms.

I think it was worth it. Time will tell. It's more of a piece of mind thing.

Check the fine print... there is quite a bit that these plans DO NOT provide coverage for.
Not worth it. Put the $1800 in a savings account and use it for repairs if needed. If not needed take the kids to Canada's Wonderland or put in RESP.

Are you aware of these factory warranties?

160,000 klm 5yr factory drivetrain warranty

Base Warranty Coverage Period includes parts and labour for 3 years/60,000 km

6 year/160,000 km sheet metal rust-through coverage

8 year/130,000 km coverage on Specified Major Emission Components

·
Registered
698 Posts
Roesterman said:
Not worth it. Put the $1800 in a savings account and use it for repairs if needed. If not needed take the kids to Canada's Wonderland or put in RESP.
lol you forgot to put IMHO in front of your comment...

For me, it's a pay now or pay later kind of thing. I'd rather have it rolled into my monthly payment ($1,800 isn't much when financing $45,000) than having to shell out big $$ for a computer module or something else, in the future.

Don't worry... the kids' education and entertainment will not suffer as a result of this purchase...

·
Registered
635 Posts
$1800 is a lot of money IMHO

·
Registered
698 Posts
Roesterman said:
lol. Can't recall whether there was our blessed 13% Ontario sales tax added on to that figure. Likely.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Terrain said:
lol. Can't recall whether there was our blessed 13% Ontario sales tax added on to that figure. Likely.
HST now ..grrr..on just about everything. Cashed my first bribery check though!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My daughter opted to not get the extended warranty on her 2006 Envoy. Air conditioner wasnt working too well so she had it checked out. Bad evaporator line. $190 for the part and with labor it comes to $770 installed. She has had the extended warranties in the past and FOR HER it has paid off. JFWIW

·
Registered
113 Posts
Roesterman said:
$1800 IS a lot of money and if you're staring at a major repair and don't have the $1800, or the warranty coverage, what do you do? For people in a very liquid financial position, then the extended coverage may or may not make sense. For people on tighter budgets, buy the warranty.
There is one sure thing with an extended warranty. You never want it, nor do you want to pay for it until you need it. Then it is too late.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We bought the full plan (can't remember the name). In my experience the extended warranties always come handy as you know the car is good for many many years and if you happen to re-sell the car before you get a premium paid back or GM will credit you money on your next purchase.
Any components are crazy expensive nowadays and the new cars are loaded with electronics. Besides 1st year of production of any car you're more prone to get gremlins or glitches.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It all depends on two things. How long do you plan on keeping the car? And what your financial situation is. If a costly repair would be a burden then buy the warrenty, if not then dont bother.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Gm guy said:
It all depends on two things. How long do you plan on keeping the car? And what your financial situation is. If a costly repair would be a burden then buy the warrenty, if not then dont bother.
I agree 95% with you. I can afford the later as well, but I'd rather have that $1,800 'hidden' within the finance payment than having to put it out in one go, potentially. It's a psychological thing for me I guess.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree that most paid warranties are not worth much. However to simplify by wife's life we purchased for about $1000 USD an 8 year 80,000 warranty zero deductible. This should give her 5 more years of consideration for everything but the engine, then add 3 more years to the engine. We only put about 10K miles on a year anyway.

What cracks me up, and is by far not worth it, is where dealerships try to charge $3000 for this same or lesser of a warranty. If you must have a warranty, negotiate! If the dealer won't negotiate, ask your bank. They often have good resources to cover their interest in their loan to you for the vehicle. (this is where I get mine)

I consider it more of added insurance rather than a warranty. In risk-management that's actually what it is anyway, not a warranty.

With the record of my past GM vehicles, this $1000 was probably wasted. I've had 6 with only one having a post manufacture warranty issue of consideration (alternator went out). Two of those driven to 1/4 of a million miles. Sure those two had small issues due to life and miles, but nothing worth the price of a warranty. Not that we could get one for that long anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have always felt that they are not worth it... The first car that I ever bought I made the mistake of buying the extended warranty... Soon to realize any problem that I had with it I could fix it myself... I didn't get much back but something was better than nothing.

The car now has over 150k miles and still has original everything except for tires,battery, and brakes.... It was a 2002 Chevy Cavalier 5 spd man LS..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Risk Management...never thought of it that way...good point.

We bought the 6 yr/80k zero deductable ... piece of mind ... we've had this same type of risk management on our past GM vehicles going back to our 2000 Grand Am GT .... wheel bearings seemed to go often in both our '00 and '03 Grand Am's and '05 Aztek...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I got one on my VUE. The extended warranty had a clause if you didn't use it you got the entire money back. I had a sensor go that was $600. The warranty was $1300 plus tax but I had 0% financing. Other items that went were after the extended warranty. So it wasn't worth the price. Remember to add sales tax to the warranty and if you finance it the intrest cost for the warranty. I won't but on for those that want piece of mind. Remember .. That thousand plus my be needed if someone other machine or appliance goes like and Ac unit or a washing machine. The money you spend on that warranty will pay ONLY for car repairs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For those of you thinking about the extended warranty you may want to check out Black Pontiac/Cadillac. They sell tons of the GMPP plans at discounted prices. We purchased the 72/72 no deductible for $1200 US and no tax. Just for what its worth.
Black Pontiac Cadillac's GMOutlet

·
Registered
87 Posts
Normally I wouldn't have bought a warranty but I did this time because of this being a budget issue. I paid $1800 for my 0 deductible. 36k miles wasn't near enough for electronic issues. I will hit the miles long before I hit the years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got lifetime powertrain warranty on my 2011 terrain and lifetime free oil changes by just purchasing from the dealership.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts