GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting on the deck looking at beautiful Lake Michigan on a gorgeous Memorial Day and we hear a strange sound. My 2016 Equinox rear window exploded! Air temp is 63F, wind is calm and the sun is out. Glass still in the window seems pushed out from the inside and all corners are cracked and the center of the window is laying on the carpet inside. Will attach pictures soon.

Registered
I had a Hyundai Excel explode a back hatch side window in the early 90's. I'd just washed it and pulled it in the garage to dry it when it shattered. Not 100% sure the boom system didn't have anything to do with it 馃槑, but called the dealer and they didn't even have me bring it in and just sent me straight to a glass shop. They covered it under warranty without any questions. Hopefully, GM will do the same for you...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully I will have that kind of luck.

Registered
I've seen that on cool sunny mornings. The air temp inside the car increases rapidly when the sun hits it causing a window to blow out.

Registered
There are several reasons this can happen. From Wikipedia:

Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason. The most common causes are:

Minor damage during installation such as nicked or chipped edges later developing into larger breaks normally radiating from point of defect.
Binding of the glass in the frame, causing stresses to develop as the glass expands and contracts due to thermal changes or deflects due to wind
Internal defects within the glass such as nickel sulfide inclusions
Thermal stresses in the glass
Inadequate glass thickness to resist wind load
I've seen people complaining of this on a several automotive message boards. Quite a few were on the Escape message board I'm on. If you are under warranty still, bring it to the dealership. Hopefully they will help you out...

Registered
Blew a sunroof panel glass out once in a Porsche. Sprayed cold water on it while washing the car in the sun. 8 million little bits of glass all over the inside of the car. My fault and I was sick about it. Insurance covered it (with deductible by me). Expensive lesson.

Sorry for your misfortune....and you didn't do anything to cause it!!

Registered
Had the driver's side rear window implode on a 92 Typhoon when closing the driver's door. I had a real love hate relationship with that vehicle. Inconvenient mess in the garage. At least that issue was easily repaired.

Registered
This happened to me with my 2015 Equinox on 6-5. My car was in the driveway and I got in, shut the driver side door and heard a pop and looked up to see the back window shatter into pieces. The dealership said that this never happens and was not responsible. Ironic thing is, there is a recall for some 2015 Silverado and Sierra truck back heated windows. Sounds like this could be the same issue now with the Equinox.

Attachments

Registered
This is very much an issue that all manufacturers have. I would pursue it with the GM reps that frequent this site to see if they can help.

Registered
This happened to me when i first got my nox 4 years ago. I had to buy a new window desler said i must have chippe it with an ice scraper even tho i pzrk in garage and have auto start and dont scrape ever

Ohwell i guess :/

Registered
RobtRoma said:
This is very much an issue that all manufacturers have. I would pursue it with the GM reps that frequent this site to see if they can help.
Frequent ? I can't remember the last time that any GM rep has posted on the Forum.

Registered
Hmmm... I could have sworn I've seen posts by a GM rep on this site. I think I need a vacation...

Registered
I had the rear windshield on my 2008 Malibu shatter when my son was a baby & was IN his rear-facing car seat. He was fine but it still freaked me out.

Registered
TerryG said:
Sitting on the deck looking at beautiful Lake Michigan on a gorgeous Memorial Day and we hear a strange sound. My 2016 Equinox rear window exploded! Air temp is 63F, wind is calm and the sun is out. Glass still in the window seems pushed out from the inside and all corners are cracked and the center of the window is laying on the carpet inside. Will attach pictures soon.
This is exactly what happened to our 2017 Equinox rear window exploded. SUV had been sitting in our driveway for 2 days, temperature was 38F. The vehicle rear glass had the four corners broken like a horse shoe and the middle of the window was blown out. Took Equinox to dealer with less then 3000 kms and less then 4 months. Dealership says that it is not under warranty. Had SuV repaired and no complete satisfaction from General Motors customer service. I strongly believe that this is a vendor defect and should be covered by General Motors Warranty . Throughout my career I have witnessed the spontaneous breakage of cars/trucks/vans during the manufacturing process . This is definitely a safety and warranty problem. January 29, 2017, still not resolved.

Registered
This happened to me the first year I had my equinox and the dealership didn't do **** for me and basically told me to suck it up and told me I chipped the glass with an ice scraper ::)

Registered
Identical Problem on 8-6-17

This is exactly what happened to our 2017 Equinox rear window exploded. SUV had been sitting in our driveway for 2 days, temperature was 38F. The vehicle rear glass had the four corners broken like a horse shoe and the middle of the window was blown out. Took Equinox to dealer with less then 3000 kms and less then 4 months. Dealership says that it is not under warranty. Had SuV repaired and no complete satisfaction from General Motors customer service. I strongly believe that this is a vendor defect and should be covered by General Motors Warranty . Throughout my career I have witnessed the spontaneous breakage of cars/trucks/vans during the manufacturing process . This is definitely a safety and warranty problem. January 29, 2017, still not resolved.
This must be a manufacturing defect! Identical problem: 2017 Equinox Premier, 7 mos. old, no pre-existing chips/cracks, recently parked in driveway, 83-degrees, sunny, no wind and rear window explodes!!! Same "horse shoe - shaped" blowouts at corners, glass bulging out in center with the rest of the window "pebbled" (although barely intact). Waiting for dealership to open to see what they say. Fingers crossed!

Registered
this just happened to me

This must be a manufacturing defect! Identical problem: 2017 Equinox Premier, 7 mos. old, no pre-existing chips/cracks, recently parked in driveway, 83-degrees, sunny, no wind and rear window explodes!!! Same "horse shoe - shaped" blowouts at corners, glass bulging out in center with the rest of the window "pebbled" (although barely intact). Waiting for dealership to open to see what they say. Fingers crossed!
It is snowing but 30 degrees. no scraping, just had to brush snow off. I went to the grocery, loaded the in the back and went home. opened the trunk, took a load in, going back out heard a noise, but didn't see anything and didn't know what it was. got the rest of the bags out of the trunk, and shut the trunk door. back window shattered. I was stunned. The dealer body shop is not open on weekends. I am going to call on Monday but dealer said most likely not covered by warranty. I have an appointment with a glass place on Monday, but I will still call and see what they say. this has to be some sort of defect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts