GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've got the 3.6 with twin tip exhaust, I find they really get sooty and hard to clean. What has worked best for me so far is to use a (new by the way) toilet brush with the stiff bristles. Cleans it up nice with just soap and water. A little wax on the inside of the tips also makes it clean up easier the next washing. Anyone else as anal as me and whattaya do?? I guess the black soot is a common result of DI engines these days.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
theres been post that running 93, lessens it.

I only run regular.

But when I wash the vehicle, a wet rag to clean the soot.
Then I use a stainless steel pot cleaner to clean it up.
does a nice job.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios:

I hear ya on the 93 octane! I'm not going to run $.20+ per gallon just to keep tips cleaner. And no, I'm not trying to enter into a 87 vs 89 vs 91 vs 93 discussion at all.

I'll try some pot cleaner if it gets bad, but seems manageable right now since I cleaned it out. Your solution probably is easier! Thanks kind sir.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
See this thread. . .[/color] - - -http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9003.0

I just wipe them out every week or so. I use a Stainless Steel spray on cleaner/polish that is used for sinks, and appliances and it gets the black off easily. I use a cylindrical brush about 2" in diameter and wrap it with a paper towel or throw away cloth. Spray on the cleaner and twirl it in there if it has been awhile since last cleaned.

Otherwise, I just take a few paper towels at the gas station, wet them a bit with the window washer sponge, and wipe them out while the gas is filling. Once I get home, I just finish it up again with a quick wipe and the stainless steels spray/polish.

The trick is to wipe them regularly and the soot comes off easily since there is just a film.

Also. . a Service Bulletin:

Concern:
BLACK SMOKE ON START UP ONLY.

With the introduction of direct fuel injection systems, GM has revised the cold start control system to reduce cold start emissions. Quicker catalytic converter heating helps meet the ever changing emission requirements and improve fuel economy.

Recommendation/Instructions:

A dual-pulse injection strategy is utilized during engine cold start to reduce the time required to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature. This split injection strategy lasts for about 60 seconds on cold start.

This process will cause the customer to see increased black smoke or soot during cold start and should be considered normal.

This cold start strategy is enabled upon start up after the engine has soaked for sufficient time such that the catalytic converter requires rapid reactivation.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks as well JayTee. I think everyone's aboard the "clean it often" bandwagon as it's easier to clean a thin film rather than a thick buildup.

I do like the twin tips. They look great on the back of the vehicle, especially when cleaned up! Something about a dual exhaust even when no big V-8 up front pushing some REAL sound thru the pipes.

I had heard about the DI start up issue with black smoke (hence black soot). Thanks for the tech explanation.

·
Registered
461 Posts
These tips look to be stainless steel, no coating to worry about. Nice touch on the V6 package, like the old 442 back in the 60s. I use an SOS pad at wash times, sandpaper when needed. Sure stands out to me when I see these on other cars that have gotten black and sooty.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Completely normal for the tips to get black, if the car is driven hard it does not take long for carbon to build up. A good way to clean them is glass cleaner and steel wool. Those direct injection engines are very sooty, just the way they are.

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

No soot here. .. . :cheers:

I use a combination of Stainless Steel Magic and Maguiar's Cleaner Wax. On a paper towel wrapped around a 2" cylindrical brush: I apply both the cleaner and wax at the same time.

I finish up the outside surface with the same then buff it lightly with a cut open old sock and buff the inside also with the same old sock.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2013 I just bought with 75,000km seemed like no one ever cleaned the tips, they were awful. A property management company owned it before I got it, so not surporised no one cleaned them. I tried stainless appliance cleaner and it got some of it off. I bought some Meguiar's HOT RIMS® CHROME WHEEL CLEANER on sale for my chrome wheels and decided it was worth a try on the exhaust tips. Cleaned the years of soot and gunk right off!

If you bought used like I did and the tips look like they were never cleaned, give this a try.

My wheels look great with just normal washing, I haven't had chance to try the Meguiar's on them yet but look forward to seeing if they shine even more!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I think the switch to "winter blend" fuel may contribute to more exhaust pipe tip soot.

Not sure it is that or just longer warm up time. Probably the later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts