GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the dealer replaced the door seal around the driver door it did not fix the wind noise. I am taking it back to see what they can do. They told me it is probably the shape of the exterior mirrors and is a know problem. Have any of you had this problem an did the dealer fix the problem. 2018 GMC Terrain 16,000 miles

Thanks in advance
gbro

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
I guess I don't buy the mirror-shape argument. If that were the case, that should have been caught during the testing stage, because it would effect all of the Equinox/Terrains. IMHO

·
Registered
306 Posts
Does the noise change when lower the window slightly? If it does it might be the seal around the window. I have no wind noise around my mirrors or much at all even in high winds I hardly heard any. Could also be the door is out of alignment, from the front fender or the rear door.

·
Registered
262 Posts
GBRO, take it to your local body shop, as mentioned door alignment issue might be it. Nothing a little paper money in a closed door to find the area of poor contact then a little persuasion should not be able to fix. My brother does this all the time for customers complaining about wind noise. He jokes that they just do not let the customer watch as they make adjustments LOL

·
Registered
531 Posts
GBRO, take it to your local body shop, as mentioned door alignment issue might be it. Nothing a little paper money in a closed door to find the area of poor contact then a little persuasion should not be able to fix. My brother does this all the time for customers complaining about wind noise. He jokes that they just do not let the customer watch as they make adjustments LOL

most people wouldn’t want to watch as they bend the upper door frame of a brand new vehicle to make the “adjustments “ lol

my 2018 equinox makes the same noise just on the drivers side, the dealer couldn’t figure it out so i just dealt with it, once i put vent shades on it’s almost gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
OP, are you still having this issue? We had some wind noise on our '19 Nox from the passenger side. It ended up being the "Grille Cowl Extension". It is the piece of plastic between the fender and the windshield. It had a broken clip which caused a slight gap. This gap was just enough to cause some noise most of the time (depending on the direction of the wind) when driving down the road above 30mph. That part is p/n 84227073.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
most people wouldn’t want to watch as they bend the upper door frame of a brand new vehicle to make the “adjustments “ lol

I watched a body shop owner do this to my wife's fairly near Grand Prix to fix a air leak wind noise.
I was a bit surprised :) but it worked.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts

I watched a body shop owner do this to my wife's fairly near Grand Prix to fix a air leak wind noise.
I was a bit surprised
but it worked.
How could such an unscientific and inexact “solution” work? No way would I allow this to be done to one of my vehicles. I’d find my own solution or just live with it. Better that than having window pane and motor issues later. (Unless I’m misunderstanding what it is they’re doing)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
How could such an unscientific and inexact “solution” work? No way would I allow this to be done to one of my vehicles. I’d find my own solution or just live with it. Better that than having window pane and motor issues later. (Unless I’m misunderstanding what it is they’re doing)
There is very little bending involved.
When he started there was one spot on the window frame where he could slip a piece of paper through.
When he was done the paper was a tight fit.

If this bothers you, never take your car to a body shop after a fender bender or accident.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
There is very little bending involved.
When he started there was one spot on the window frame where he could slip a piece of paper through.
When he was done the paper was a tight fit.

If this bothers you, never take your car to a body shop after a fender bender or accident.
I’ll take your word for it.

And so far (for me) - no vehicles have ever gone to the body shop. I hope this streak continues right to the end ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
After the dealer replaced the door seal around the driver door it did not fix the wind noise. I am taking it back to see what they can do. They told me it is probably the shape of the exterior mirrors and is a know problem. Have any of you had this problem an did the dealer fix the problem. 2018 GMC Terrain 16,000 miles

Thanks in advance
gbro
I just want to share that I had the same problem with my 2020 GMC Terrain. The issue is not with the door seal, but the windshield. I had my windshield replaced under warranty and the wind noise is gone for good. The dealership placed tape around the driver sides of the windshield and the noise had decimated, that's how they figured out it was the windshield. I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Check your noise / sound absorbers behind the glove box and behind every panel they look like a small stash pillow. Utilize Active noise cancellation. Make sure your windshield has "acoustic" written on the glass. Adjust the rubber hood stoppers all the way down.... Close all the vents and turn up the air speed. Fabric Seat covers and steering wheel cover dash cover and floor mats. Jacket for the breeze and keep it under 65.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thanks in advance
gbro
Were you able to figure out the cause of this? Having the same issue but on the passenger side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OP, are you still having this issue? We had some wind noise on our '19 Nox from the passenger side. It ended up being the "Grille Cowl Extension". It is the piece of plastic between the fender and the windshield. It had a broken clip which caused a slight gap. This gap was just enough to cause some noise most of the time (depending on the direction of the wind) when driving down the road above 30mph. That part is p/n 84227073.
Was this part easy to change or will I have to have a shop do it?

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Depends on your skill level, and your money situation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts