GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2020 GMC terrain with around 20k miles and just had the rear brakes replaced when inspected in August - front ones totally fine but the back ones completely rusted out. It hasn't even been 3 months and the back rotors are bright orange rusty again already. We do live in winter climate area so lifespan of brakes + rotors is shorter here than most places, but it hasn't even snowed/salted yet since August and has been pretty dry. Front ones still look great.

Is there something Terrain-specific or specific to certain brands of brakes/rotors or anything else I should be aware of that's causing the back rear rotors to rust out this fast?

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
The rotors on my '18 Equinox had similar rust on both front and rear rotors. I replaced them, but I wonder how long the replacements will last. At least I am far along on the learning curve of how to replace them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are you talking the rotor surface area or the inner hub part with tire lug bolts etc ? Not uncommon for rotor surfaces to get some rust on them if not used daily, the rust should be worn away after a little driving and brake use.

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
Mine rusted and pitted very deeply on the rotor's contact surface. I am sure that it was way too deep to have them turned. Pretty disappointing, to say the least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts