GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2010 GMC Terrain - SLT - V6 - 225K Km's (~140K miles) - Gold Mist - Largely restored
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, just never been a fan of it. Especially when it starts to look ratty.

So, since I had the vehicle apart as I was doing some of the repainting, and time wasn't an issue (this is/was just a fun project) I decided to get rid of as much of it as I could. Front end came totally apart so I could do the best paint work (it had taken most of the beatings by the DPO), so I could work with each piece on their own. I didn't take any befores, but I mean... you ALL know what they look like anyhow!

White Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

The trim bit around the grill was still being worked over when I snapped that.

The fog light inserts because of their intricate little bits got thrown in a hydrochloric acid bath for about 3 days. Turned the shiny bits into almost nothing (another day and I think it would have taken it all off). The hood part and the grill surround I just scraped, sanded, peeled until naked. Then sanded smooth, primed, and painted. They're still a hair shiny for me, so might do a matt clear over them.

The door lettering was getting REALLY ugly. 馃ぎ
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Bumper

As well, it had those stupid green valve stem caps from when it had a nitrogen fill back who knows when.

So I found these letters on Ebay, and the stem caps on Amazon.
White Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Quick fixes, and make it look just that much less, like a ~13 year old vehicle! :)

Registered
2010 GMC Terrain - SLT - V6 - 225K Km's (~140K miles) - Gold Mist - Largely restored
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops! Forgot the "after" pic!
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

I know... shocking... you thought it was going to say something else! 馃槀

Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
Front end looks amazingly better!

I nearly bought a brand new 鈥渓eftover鈥 2017 Terrain (with the 3.6L engine) at the very end of 2018. I didn鈥檛 really care for the Terrain body style with its boxy look, but this one had the 鈥淣ightfall鈥 package, which made it look magnitudes better.

What does the back end look like (鈥淏efore鈥 picture, if it鈥檚 still available)?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only took one before pic (of pretty much all angles!), and I cherry picked the angles to make it look really nice. :whistle:
A bunch of the extended family had recently all bought NEW cars so I was feeling left out and picked this up since it had a lot more modern vibe going on.

Of course, they all dropped 40-60K$ ... I paid a grand for this! So figured as long as I spent less than $39k on repairs (hahahahaha) I was ahead of the game.

Other than taking it all apart and fixing the (copious) rust along the bottom edge of the tailgate inside and out then polishing the tail lights, and repainting the bumper and tailgate - it went from beat up stock to like new stock. And yes, the center IS still chrome. No, I still don't like it. ;) I screwed up a couple of tiny spots when I painted (they don't show up in the photo they're so small) but I'll still repaint it (that's the other reason there's no new-black-lettering on it). When I do that, I'll black out the center.

One and only (best angle) before:
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Couple of durings:
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille

And an after:
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

Man, that chromes gotta go! But yeah, I polished it anyhow. Hahahaha

Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
@dr.fiero : Yeah ... I'll be looking for the "After" picture with that chrome blacked out! LOL!

Love your garage setup! If I had that I'd be more inspired to do the kinds of projects you're doing. Maybe in retirement ... if I can still use my hands (and my back isn't too much of a problem), that is ...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it鈥檒l get done - one of these days! Need to finish off some other project cars and get them sold.

I鈥檝e got 185 weeks until I throw in the towel work wise. This is my play place until my dirt nap. You鈥檙e only seeing about 1/3 of it. It鈥檚 about 1700sq ft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts