GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm posting this for my grandfather who recently purchased a 2010 Equinox 2WD. So far he really loves the car, however we think that there may be a bit of a problem with it. The car shifts into M just fine (usually M1 from a standing stop, M3 or M4 if you shift while at speed) However the + and - buttons on the gear shift are completely unresponsive. If you shift in at speed and it goes to M3, you are stuck in M3, you can't use - to go to M2 or + to go to M4. If you start at M1, you just have first gear and nothing more, even when you press +.

I understand that this is supposed to be more of a shift range selector than anything else and that the computer is still fully in control of the transmission (if you're going too fast and try to downshift into too low a gear, the computer will ignore your downshift command and prevent you from blowing up the transmission) but it seems to me that the + - switch on the gear shift may be bad.

Can anyone who has a similarly equipped Equinox tell me how their's operates in M mode an how responsive the + and - buttons are. What I'm curious about is if from a stop you can increase beyond M1? Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think your up and down switch is bad. Because mine work just fine. I have never try to down shift before. But mine does shift up normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
yes- youre button or wiring is bad.

from a stop and in gear (M) you should be able to select M1-thru M6. this selects how high you want the trans to shift up to.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yeah this has come up before. They will probably have to replace the switch to fix it (may not be worth the $$$)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, going to be getting a whole new shifter. Gotta wonder though, what are the chances that this one goes bad within the next 4 years if what I hear about the wires is true?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
you should not have an issue....
It not a problem that comes up often.

Can it happen yes.. but Its not common.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It's a pretty rare problem. Doubt it would happen twice (and there would be some sort of limited warranty on the work if you are paying out of pocket).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Good to know, I guess that counts as part of the 'power train' warranty, or was an extended warranty purchased?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi I'm owned by a 2011 Gmc terrain has had and still have the same Issue as you Plus the check oil never has worked I have been lied to by the dealership and GM is covering it up

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it is ironic that I have a 2016 Chevy Equinox. The car was shifting fine in manual mode and I was enjoying it. I had the transmission fluid changed at the dealer and now all of a sudden the ERS doesn't work. Ironic huh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 and I have the same issue. the dealer is having me drop it off tomorrow to get it fixed (Covered under PT warranty)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts