GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a union member for 25 years. I do not want to buy a foreign car. I have ordered a 2012 Equinox since my wife loves the look of it. BUT, I am reading alot of negative things about this car. Someone tell me why I should buy it...please!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
rob669 said:
I have been a union member for 25 years. I do not want to buy a foreign car. I have ordered a 2012 Equinox since my wife loves the look of it. BUT, I am reading alot of negative things about this car. Someone tell me why I should buy it...please!!
Read some forums for other brands and models.

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
rob669 said:
Well, it was made in Canada, and probably at a Non-Union shop, so you make the decision.

Correction - The plant in Canada is Union - Sorry !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
rob669 said:
Because you want to keep your wife happy..
Union or non union...depends on how the vehicle is enginered not on who put it together..or do we blame all those Toyota workers for all those problems?
For the most part, there are thousands of these vehicles on the road giving their owners lots of enjoyment I've found that alot of people just like to bitch..
I've had my 2010 Terrain since 09 and it's been trouble free...Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
111 Posts
rob669 said:
The car is a perfect fit for my lifestyle and budget, but then I am more concerned about practicality and comfort. It would be practical and comfortable to keep your wife happy :cheers:

And there are a lot worse motivations to buy a car than political ones. I also share your desire to buy American at this moment in history.

·
Registered
58 Posts
rob669 said:
You shouldn't buy this car not because every car has a problem but because GM refuses to acknowledge and fix the automobiles that DO have a problem. If you look around several people have had to pursue legal action and the whole process has been like pulling teeth.

Union or not, GM does not back up their product adequately. Do yourself a favor and buy a Ford.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not sure why being in the union makes a difference....Some Mazda products have been built by Ford union workers...(though thats ending)...

BUT.....yes, there are issues...and I dont come here to just bitch...I do talk positive about my vehicle too...this IS a FORUM....where you discuss issues, concerns,upgrades..etc...

There is another Equinox/Terrain Forum that discusses 'who drives your car' and 'where do you park' .....IF you want to read dry, boring topics that have no value..fine..

Reason I like this Forum is it is very active, with lots of info ..positive and negative..

Do I recommend the Terrain / Equinox...Hell yes! ...I love my Terrain...I hate my 2011 I-4 engine...but, besides that, I cant find another SUV that gives me all the options, comfort, style and fun to drive at a competitive price...

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
wrusprod said:
Not sure why being in the union makes a difference....Some Mazda products have been built by Ford union workers...(though thats ending)...
I think the Union issue is because he is pro-Union because of if long-term affiliation with Unions - simple as that !

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
fast200 said:
You shouldn't buy this car not because every car has a problem but because GM refuses to acknowledge and fix the automobiles that DO have a problem. If you look around several people have had to pursue legal action and the whole process has been like pulling teeth.

Union or not, GM does not back up their product adequately. Do yourself a favor and buy a Ford.
Plenty of arbritrators working Ford cases...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I said buy American because it is beaten in your head as a union worker, I know some of you don't understand this but I'm just looking out for my best interest as well as my country's in these screwed up times. i also feel more comfortable having a skilled tech building my car rathar then having some guy off the street slapping parts together and not taking pride in his work. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
rob669 said:
I said buy American because it is beaten in your head as a union worker, I know some of you don't understand this but I'm just looking out for my best interest as well as my country's in these screwed up times. i also feel more comfortable having a skilled tech building my car rathar then having some guy off the street slapping parts together and not taking pride in his work. just my 2 cents.
whole nother topic...and I wont hijack this thread...so I will just say...'ok'..

again, as far as the equinox..majority of issues is with the 2011 I-4 engine..not sure yet on the 2012..and not everyone has these issues..

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll be breaking 40,000 miles on mine today. No issues. Test drove the 4cyl, no way in hell I'd buy one. Love the 6. It takes a little while for it to learn you and you to learn it. With that said, there's plenty of "go" in the 6 and I still average 22.5+ mpg combined and 26+ on the highway. If mpg is really a big issue for you, this with the 4 or 6 just isn't the right thing. These are good size, and not light. I came out of two loaded Trailblazers (145,000 miles total between the two) first was the I6, second was the 8 cyl. That 8 was a great motor, but I never got more than 21 ish highway and 18 combined. A Tahoe before that. Plenty happy with this. I'm not going off road, or towing so it does not matter.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Of course you dont have any issues...you have the V6!!... :woot:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to hear the V6 was a good choice. As per inpheonix....does a vehicle really adapt to one's driving style?
I test drove the 4 and a traverse. Choose the equinox for it's nimble size as compared to the 07 avalanche I traded.
Just a little info, the 19" tires use a 2.77 final drive versus the 3.39 on all others. Just a little quicker from a start....but revs a little more at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
fast200 said:
True, but no known issue with Ford Escape I-4's that they refuse to acknowledge.
Initial Quality Study by J.D. Power
The Initial Quality Study by J.D. Power is based from owner-reported issues.
About J.D. Power Ratings

Initial Quality - Overall ? 2.0 2.0
Powertrain Quality - Mechanical ? 2.0 2.0
Body & Interior Quality - Mechanical ? 2.5 2.5
Features and Accessories Quality - Mechanical ? 3.0 3.0
Powertrain Quality - Design ? 2.0 2.0
Body & Interior Quality - Design ? 3.0 3.0
Features and Accessories Quality - Design ? 2.0 2.0

Reliability Rating for 2012 Ford Escape by Identifix

1 - 20 of 26 Posts