GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I find it interesting that the 1.5L 3-cyl in the Ford Escape can take the Escape from 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, yet the 1.3L 3-cyl in the Trailblazer (which is ~200 lbs lighter than the Escape) needs 9.4 seconds. The GM engine even makes more torque down low than the Ford.

From what I have been reading, the Escape 3-cyl test drives really well but owners quickly start to hate the 3-cyl after they have owned it for a while. I am not sure what exactly the issues are, but there are several comments online about owners learning to hate the 3-cyl engine in the Escape.

I am not a Ford guy at all, but if I was forced to choose a vehicle with a 3-cyl engine I might be inclined to go with the Escape over the Trailblazer or Encore GX.

·
Registered
573 Posts
3 cylinders, can you say Geo Metro, stepping on the gas in them was like stepping on a pile of %$#@#.
My snowmobiles are 3 cyl. Rotax 1200cc or 1.2 at 135 hp. NA motors. Add a turbo and it's a easy 300 hp.
3 cyl. in a car is buzzy, something most don't initially notice on that test drive hence I think that's where the learn to hate them comes from as it's always floored on the on ramp or when pulling out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Geo Metro...had to drive one of those once for 15 minutes. The one I drove was the 4-cyl, but with only 79 horsepower it was downright dangerous. I can't imagine what the 55 horsepower 3-cyl was like.

If we ever get back to normal commuting, I might consider something with a 3-cyl turbo in the name of better gas mileage. As long as performance seems reasonable in town and on the highway. However, I have only been to a gas station twice in the past 4 months so it is hard to justify spending the money on a different car seeing as how I barely drive anymore.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No thanks to 3 cylinders, i think even the Ford Turd Bronco is coming out with one, with the 2.0 dropping out of the line up, I would not be surprised if GM starts to bring CVT to higher weight vehicles. Maybe the 2022 Nox and Terrain will have a CVT even for just the front wheel drive. I hope not but I would like to think GM would learn from Jatco in Nissans.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No thanks to 3 cylinders, i think even the Ford Turd Bronco is coming out with one, with the 2.0 dropping out of the line up, I would not be surprised if GM starts to bring CVT to higher weight vehicles. Maybe the 2022 Nox and Terrain will have a CVT even for just the front wheel drive. I hope not but I would like to think GM would learn from Jatco in Nissans.
My friend put 130,000 miles on her old CVT Nissan Murano with not a single problem, and liked it so much she bought a new Murano and has 50,000 trouble free miles on it already. I am hearing the Nissan CVTs are not a problem as long as the transmission fluid gets drained and refilled every 60K miles.

Personally I wish CVTs weren't showing up so much in newer cars, but it seems to be an unfortunate trend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was highly considering the Encore GX coming from my Encore as it checked most of the boxes I was looking for as upgrades with the HUD, power liftgate, larger moon roof and a little bit bigger until I saw the 3 cylinder engines. It then came down my Denali or the signature series Mazda CX5. Ultimately went with the Denali due to the long term relationship with my GM dealer. If the Nox/Terrain don't get an engine upgrade when I'm looking for a vehicle again I most likely will look elsewhere. However the new upcoming Envision looks amazing and is by leaps and bounds better then the first gen.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was highly considering the Encore GX coming from my Encore as it checked most of the boxes I was looking for as upgrades with the HUD, power liftgate, larger moon roof and a little bit bigger until I saw the 3 cylinder engines. It then came down my Denali or the signature series Mazda CX5. Ultimately went with the Denali due to the long term relationship with my GM dealer. If the Nox/Terrain don't get an engine upgrade when I'm looking for a vehicle again I most likely will look elsewhere. However the new upcoming Envision looks amazing and is by leaps and bounds better then the first gen.
Envision=Made in China, just sayin.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Reading about the Geo Metro, i was reminded of a girl i once took out, she had one of the 3 cylinder ones and she took it into a local Canadian Tire for a Tuneup, when she got her bill, she was charged for 4 spark plugs and wires. I really had a good laugh at her expense and keep needling her about it, until.... I bought a Suzuki X90 which was a two seater, it turned out that i was charged for 4 floormats, front and rear. She was a good sport and never let me hear the end of that. Moral is never be sure of anything, LOL

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, it appears that there will be a 2.0 engine option in the refreshed 2022 Equinox after all!

Not sure if the 2021 will just be the same vehicle as the 2020 but with the 1.5 as the only engine option; or the refreshed version with a 1.5 as the only engine option.

I would venture to guess that the Terrain will have the 2.0 as an option also.

The article says the 2.0 will not be the same? I'm wondering what changes will be made to the 2.0?

2021 Chevy Equinox drops 2.0L engine, but it's coming back for 2022 - Roadshow

·
Registered
8 Posts
The article states slow sales of the 2.0T, but I wonder if COVID-19 has caused a supply issue - the article mentions numerous delays with other models.
If slow sales were truly the case, why bring it back for 2022? Unless the refreshed Equniox is going to come with AWD standard?
I'm guessing the "new" 2.0 will be the 237-hp "LSY" variant from the Cadillac XT4/XT5, maybe there needs to be some lead time for that change.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts