GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I’ve got a Gen-2 2011 Nox with the V6. Initially I thought my next purchase would be a Gen-3 with the V6 ... but they dropped the V6. When I saw they were going with (2) 4-cylinder turbos I thought that was redundant, but always assumed it was a competition to see which would survive the other.

So now the people have spoken: if they’re buying an Equinox/Terrain with a 4-cylinder turbo, it’s overwhelmingly the lower-cost, 1.5L engine with the lower-cost fuel. Makes sense to me. Weren’t the people buying the 2.0L version paying Blazer-like money anyway? Last I checked you could get a Blazer at the 2LT option level for right around $30k, but maybe less now with increasing rebates?

·
Registered
573 Posts
That's why my '16 3.6 is my last 'nox and newest vehicle is a '20 Traverse 3.6 .
No 4 banger turbos for me, Chevy dealer who serviced my former jobs van fleet said they do a turbo a month on them or a piston job.
Turbos are for toys, not daily drivers IMO .
Should be using premium fuel in any turbo anyway, can't afford premium fuel in a little 1.5 gas sipper ya can't afford a car IMO for another $4-5 a fill up.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
No turbo . . . the #1 reason we bought a 2017 Chevy Sonic 1.8L with the old school MPFI for a daily drivers and general runabout for groceries, pick up grand kids, etc. Regular gas, nice 6 speed automatic and with the rear seats folded flat. . .. amazing cargo space. +27 to +33 MPG actual calculated around town and on occasional highway trips.

It is essentially the same interior size as a Chevy Trax in most dimensions, roomy, quiet and no turbo 1.4L like the Trax.
Parts are abundant since the Cruze had the same power train early on. Like any car, there are several "wear" items but low cost and most DIY capable. Many go well over 100K to 175K miles with routine maintenance and replacement of a few parts.

Sadly, GM just announced no more Sonic in favor of the turbo Trax and the smaller more pricey electric Bolt and even smaller yet 3 cylinder turbo Spark. SMH

Reactions: cusomano

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Colt, 30k for a 3.6L blazer is a very attractive price. At that level, i would not consider looking at a nox, even though i am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
Colt, 30k for a 3.6L blazer is a very attractive price. At that level, i would not consider looling at a nox, even though i am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
$30,779 was an even better price for our well equipped 2019 Acadia SLT-1 V6 with leather heated and power seats and more. . . but many here already know that. . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I get that there are many of you that prefer the NA engines over the smaller turbo fours, myself included if the vehicle is intended to be kept forever.

I have come to appreciate the boosted 1.5, and the 2.0 in our daily drivers; a Malibu and a Redline Equinox. The economy and performance is more than acceptable, and I especially have become a fan of the 2.0's performance level.

This latest news about the omission of the 2.0 on the refreshed Equinox is disappointing to me as I had visions of getting one to replace my 2019. I really liked the changes to both ends; the grill, head and taillamps, exhaust tips, RS package, a switch to turn off the stop/start and the upgrades to the standard safety features.

The elimination of the 2.0 for the refreshed Equinox is a definite deal breaker for me wanting another one.

Yes, a Blazer can be an option as it can be equipped with the 3.6 or a 2.0. The issue I have with this option is that it's larger than I need as a daily driver, and all of them are made in Mexico. I prefer my GM vehicle be built in the USA, or the CAMI facility in Canada.

If it weren't for the pandemic, GM would probably released the refreshed model with a choice of engines; given some extra time to analyze the market, GM made the decision to streamline their production of the Equinox/Terrain and took away a very desirable option.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Colt, 30k for a 3.6L blazer is a very attractive price. At that level, i would not consider looking at a nox, even though i am very happy with mine.
Just looked at the new inventory at Watson Chevrolet in Tucson.

Two 2020 Blazers, both 3.6L with 9 speed, FWD, and white color.
One 3LT (includes leather), Bose 8 speaker system etc. MSRP $41,570 Sale $33,581.
One Red Line Edition MSRP $38,635 Sale $30,998.

Over 10 others with 2.0T or 2.5L for $26k to $29k.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
8 Posts
The wife and I just picked up a 2020 AWD Premier 2.0T two weeks ago, glad we got it when we did.
The 1.5 felt anemic for a vehicle of its size. Maybe that's because we were coming from a 3.6L V6 Impala?

·
Registered
10,014 Posts
I would think so. The 2.0 seems to be a very popular size engine, and not only with GM.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Colt, 30k for a 3.6L blazer is a very attractive price. At that level, i would not consider looling at a nox, even though i am very happy with mine.
Well, I think that price is “doable“, but you won’t be able to just walk in and get it. Almost every advertised price I’ve seen has hidden fees that will be added, or discounts you won’t get. Just adding back in the Destination Charge (historically included, but not anymore apparently) and then the dealer’s “fudge fee” can raise the advertised price $2000 in the blink of an eye! Not trading in your cream puff for $1500-$2000 (?) ... add that amount to the advertised price, too.

I think most dealerships are gonna try to push you to $32k for a 2LT trim Blazer, which is high IMO.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just looked at the new inventory at Watson Chevrolet in Tucson.

Two 2020 Blazers, both 3.6L with 9 speed, FWD, and white color.
One 3LT (includes leather), Bose 8 speaker system etc. MSRP $41,570 Sale $33,581.
One Red Line Edition MSRP $38,635 Sale $30,998.

Over 10 others with 2.0T or 2.5L for $26k to $29k.
My local dealer still has 2019 Blazers on the lot.

They are advertising approximately $7,000 discounts. 2019 AWD RS, red, 3.6L, $48.2K MSRP, sale price $41K. They also have a 2019 AWD Premier, black, 3.6L, $51.4 MSRP, sale price $44.2K. These prices are based purely on available GM Incentives. There is probably another $1,000-$1,200 in dealer discounts available as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
we chose our 2018 2.0 Premium over alternatives partly because of the 2.0/9 speed. Looked at and drove many alternatives, including the Equinox 1.5 (which we found over-worked and buzzy). Love the 2.0/9 speed combo. Won't be back for another Equinox if the 1.5 is all that's offered.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
we chose our 2018 2.0 Premium over alternatives partly because of the 2.0/9 speed. Looked at and drove many alternatives, including the Equinox 1.5 (which we found over-worked and buzzy). Love the 2.0/9 speed combo. Won't be back for another Equinox if the 1.5 is all that's offered.
Agree. .. How do you think the new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer with the 1.2L or 1.3L THREE cylinder engines will go over? And depending on trim level come close to Equinox cost?

Even the Chinese didn't care for the 2018 Malibu over there and had to offer a 4 cylinder turbo engine. The Chinese customers felt a 3 banger had noise and vibration issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get a load of this:

Not an issue for me because I have the 2.0 Turbo in my 2019 and won't be buying again for years. But I would not have bought mine if not for the engine upgrade. Acceleration is a safety feature, I've avoided as many accidents by "getting out of the way" as with breaking. In 2021 I'd go for the RAV4 Prime, that will be fun ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not an issue for me because I have the 2.0 Turbo in my 2019 and won't be buying again for years. But I would not have bought mine if not for the engine upgrade. Acceleration is a safety feature, I've avoided as many accidents by "getting out of the way" as with breaking. In 2021 I'd go for the RAV4 Prime, that will be fun ride.
The RAV4 Prime will be nice, but finding one will be quite a challenge. Only 5,000 will be available in the US this year, and maybe 20,000 in the US the following year. Prices will be at a premium as well.

The standard RAV4 Hybrid would be just as good, maybe not quite as much fun, but still a great choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree. .. How do you think the new 2021 Chevy Trailblazer with the 1.2L or 1.3L THREE cylinder engines will go over? And depending on trim level come close to Equinox cost?

Even the Chinese didn't care for the 2018 Malibu over there and had to offer a 4 cylinder turbo engine. The Chinese customers felt a 3 banger had noise and vibration issues.
The only place a three-cylinder belongs is between your legs, while you're riding a Triumph. Or maybe as a generator engine for a plug-in hybrid.
No idea why Chevy brought back "Trailblazer" as a name for that thing, it's like when they brought the "Nova" name back for what amounted to a Geo Prizm (aka a de-contented Corolla).
2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer: Lots of Show, Not Much Go shows how terrible its performance is.

Acceleration is a safety feature
If only I could convince my wife of that fact. She hates it when I punch the pedal even moderately hard.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If you look back in history you will see odd number cylinder engines, 3 or 5 piston, don't hang around long.
Remember the 5 cylinder Hummer H3.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts