GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
I guess this is the danger of buying a first year model.

Seems they have to replace a computer from within the center instrument panel.

I wonder how much of the dash panel they have to remove to get at it.

59,000 vehicles recalled would probably be all of them, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
This is all too ironic, because the Terrain I test drove (in the winter) didn't seem to have a very good defroster. It was barely working!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I wonder if this is why my heat periodically stops working. I will be driving along enjoying the warmth from the heater and it will all of a sudden start blowing cold air. Once it starts doing this the heat will not return until you turn the vehicle completely off and start it again. Have not had time to take it in to the dealer yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
I think the recall has to do more with a computer that 'gives out' and causes the centre instrument panel to black out.

The safety issue is that if the panel goes out you cannot activate the defroster, thus the recall.

Your issue might be an entirely separate animal... best to take it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer today to rectify the defroster issue. Taking it in on Monday. I'll report back after and explain what was done. Told me it will only be half and hour, so I'm not sure if the part is in the dash or just a computer upgrade under the hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Terrain said:
I guess this is the danger of buying a first year model.

Seems they have to replace a computer from within the center instrument panel.

I wonder how much of the dash panel they have to remove to get at it.

59,000 vehicles recalled would probably be all of them, right?
I was told it was 59,000 GM vehicles, but only 11,000 or so Terrains were affected. True or not, I do not know. Also shouldn't this thread be in the recall section of the forum? Moderator help, what do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
It happened once on my Terrain, I took it to the dealer and they "reset the computer" and all was fine again.
Since this was before the recall, they didn't have an offical soultion on the book yet(the replacment module) all they had was an TSB to chalk it up as a knowen issue that engineering was working on a soultion for.
The Tech came out and said that if it happened again I could bring it in and he would reset the computer for me right away or I could just unhook the ground on the battary for about 2 min as that is actually all he does to "reset the computer".
For the reccord, it hasn't happened to me again but I am on a waiting list for a replacement module as part of the recall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Well hopefully the Newer the Build the better..Hopefully they have rectified the problem in the newer built Terrains...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
redlight_005 said:
I was told it was 59,000 GM vehicles, but only 11,000 or so Terrains were affected. True or not, I do not know. Also shouldn't this thread be in the recall section of the forum? Moderator help, what do you think?
Geez....i'll move it. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Our module failed yesterday. My fiance went out to start the Terrain when she was done work and the heater was stuck on high heat and max fan. The volume was also stuck at maximum. Fortunately, the steering wheel controls still work to control the volume, and it's cold out so the heat isn't an issue. We talked to the dealership about the recall (once 2 weeks ago when we had it serviced, out of curiosity), and again now. Even now after the part failed, they still claim to know nothing about the TSB. Now they're ordering part(s) to fix the problem, but who knows when that will be. It took 2 weeks to get a power steering pump, so it could be awhile.

I guess we'll just disconnect the battery every time it stops working, hopefully it doesn't break completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Just got back from the dealer for the faulty defroster recall. They actually replaced the ENTIRE center console unit and not just a module or computer board like i was suspecting. So if you have any scratches or marks on the center console (mine didn't) you'll be glad to know you'll get a new one. Now, I don't have the nav screen, so I don't know if that is replaced for vehicles that are equipped. I also asked about the low washer fluid warning issue when I was there (actually ran out on the way to the dealer!), but I'll post that response in the appropriate thread.

PS - The procedure took about 30 mins and it did not erase any settings such as radio favs or phone numbers. Was told that the memory for these is in a different part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I hope this will be recitified in the Terrains they are building now at the factory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
HI SnowItch,
Say, if you happen to stumble across that list of VIN's, let us know where to find it, I'd interested to check my VIN against it to see if it's affected. We took delivery 31 Dec. so maybe the recall doesn't apply.

Thanks,
Dan (9Tango)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
cheddar11 said:
Just got back from the dealer for the faulty defroster recall. They actually replaced the ENTIRE center console unit and not just a module or computer board like i was suspecting. So if you have any scratches or marks on the center console (mine didn't) you'll be glad to know you'll get a new one. Now, I don't have the nav screen, so I don't know if that is replaced for vehicles that are equipped. I also asked about the low washer fluid warning issue when I was there (actually ran out on the way to the dealer!), but I'll post that response in the appropriate thread.

PS - The procedure took about 30 mins and it did not erase any settings such as radio favs or phone numbers. Was told that the memory for these is in a different part.
Sorry to ask for clarification... by "entire center console", do you mean just the grey part with all the buttons, or more than that?

Thanks

Edit... VIN range from the GM recall documents... A6200578 to A6272493.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
Sorry to ask for clarification... by "entire center console", do you mean just the grey part with all the buttons, or more than that?

Thanks

Edit... VIN range from the GM recall documents... A6200578 to A6272493. [/color]
All great info, thanks everyone.
I'll have to check our VIN when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Oh, and subsequent to my earlier post, it appears that the upper center speaker grille is attached to the little storage bin and must be removed to get at the mounting for the center instrument panel. It is the center instrument panel (grey part with the buttons, minus the display screen) that is to be removed and sent back to GM.

Also of interest to Ontario Terrain owners is the following note: "ONTARIO DEALERS ONLY: Due to a limited inventory, and to avoid backorders, an onsite mobile upgrade is available. Please call the Client Care Centre at 1-877-410-MASS to schedule an appointment."

I haven't checked my own VIN yet, but I assume my vehicle is affected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Thanks to Gearhead and/or Terrain whoever put in the vin range....I checked and mine isn't in that range...so hopefully won't have to worry about that recall.

Dan
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
318 Posts
Free and clear as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Terrain said:
Sorry to ask for clarification... by "entire center console", do you mean just the grey part with all the buttons, or more than that?

Thanks

Edit... VIN range from the GM recall documents... A6200578 to A6272493. [/color]
Well looks like we're in the recall range of VIN #'s.
I'll call our dealer today.
I'm going to e-mail him now and ask about the "windshield washer low level" issue as well.
Will post what he says/replies.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top