GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Equinox has now been at a GM dealership for over 45 days for repairs to temp guage . The needle falls to zero but the computer says engine over heated and turns off ac and high speed cooling fan on. Engine is actually at normal temp. Every component has been changed out to include instrument cluster and new wiring. Problem is intermittent but keeps recurring. Service manager wants to talk to me tomorrow and I am afraid they have given up. What do I do now?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Rickh said:
My Equinox has now been at a GM dealership for over 45 days for repairs to temp guage . The needle falls to zero but the computer says engine over heated and turns off ac and high speed cooling fan on. Engine is actually at normal temp. Every component has been changed out to include instrument cluster and new wiring. Problem is intermittent but keeps recurring. Service manager wants to talk to me tomorrow and I am afraid they have given up. What do I do now?
Well, sorry to hear your problem. Does the "gauge" read normal when warmed up and operation? IT is likely NOT the gauge, but a sensor issue. We are just other owners here. However, you do not state the model, engine, etc of your Equinox so can not help much or compare to other owners without that.

If "everything" has been replaced, I would suspect a sensor connection problem or even damaged wire in a wiring harness which is difficult to T-shoot and locate.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ecm.. is the problem. It's not registering the temp correctly. But I would second looking at the temp sensor connection to see if there is or not an issue. I had this type of a problem on a grand am. It was the ecm.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Rickh said:
45 Days ? Did you have to rent a replacement for the entire time ? Wow - you need to find a different dealer, or else don't show them your bankbook the next time that you bring your car in for service. That is absolutely ridiculous, IMHO. How much are they charging you for the failed repair ?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Davek said:
Ecm.. is the problem. It's not registering the temp correctly. But I would second looking at the temp sensor connection to see if there is or not an issue. I had this type of a problem on a grand am. It was the ecm.
Well, it's not clear what is might be when the OP says "every component has been changed out". That's why I never mentioned the ECM and, instead, wire connections/plugs, or damaged/intermittent wiring bundles themseleves. Who knows what the dealer really did or did not do.

Difficult to diagnose with just undetailed info and if this is just another "one off" poster that never returns. . . . well, you know the rest.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
All good suggestions by above posters. I am the kind of person to fix it right the first time. However, the temp guage is so important that you might think about installing an aftermarket one. They are available by several companies and reasonable in price. I would use this idea as a last resort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The temp sensor and send replaced , bcm and Ecm replaced, wires replaced, instrument cluster replaced, grounding checked. The dealership has been very cool about this and since no solution has been found, not charging me. My issue is, if gm can't fix it, who can? Th reason it has taken so long is, it's an intermittent problem, might not happen for a couple of days then, bam no temp sensor. I told them to keep it and drive it till problem solved.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
rednox301 said:
All good suggestions by above posters. I am the kind of person to fix it right the first time. However, the temp guage is so important that you might think about installing an aftermarket one. They are available by several companies and reasonable in price. I would use this idea as a last resort.
Um. . . you must have skimmed the original post. It isn't the temp gauge itself. The ECM is "seeing" an over temp condition and shuts off the AC if it is on, turns on the high speed cooling fan, etc and the engine is actually running at normal temps. The ECM "thinks" there is an over temp condition. The gauge really has nothing to do with that. It is just an indicating device.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well glad it's fixed.. and thanks for reporting back. I learned something thru this for sure. Hope it lasts and gives you many more years of driving. Sorry if I didn't help as much as you may have needed. Now as you have stated the thermostat was replaced I wonder if when it was done prior if the motor was not completely full of antifreeze.. like it had an air pocket trapped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As simple as this will seem . . . I had THAT EXACT . . . an I MEAN EXACT . . .minus the stealership problem . . . Change your thermostat dude . . . Problem solved for me! Hope it works for you as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now for all you folks wondering how much this oddesy cost, the dealerships did the right thing and charged me absolutely nothing.

I am changing dealerships though as I have had issues with return visits for Incomplete or failed repairs.

Just isn't worth the hassle as I own 2 other gm vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this same problem in my 2011. Can you tell me exactly what fixed it please. I would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
123 Posts
What you have described is the default GM way of telling you the thermostat is bad. That is all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts