GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the rear drum brakes, brake drum and hardware on my 2005 Chevy Equinox. When the brakes are applied at speeds over 10 MPH, the brake shoes are pulsating in and out creating a knocking noise. I replaced the retainer and return springs with new. Everything feels like a tight fit. I made sure the self adjuster was fully extended to the point the drums barely fit over the brakes. The old brakes did not have this problem. Not sure went wrong here??

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I have found that often, it looks like all of 4 rear shoes look exactly the same, and in reality, two are longer (more brake pad), and two are shorter (less). You need to orient the long/short in the right place. I, once, got tripped up by this, and the brakes did not operate correctly. Not saying that this is your problem, but it certainly worth a 2nd look at. Not sure weather the longer one is in the front or the back, but I'm sure Dr. Google will know !

Otherwise, it may be that the springs are installed incorrectly. Probably too late, but I always take some pictures before doing brakes.

Good luck, and keep us posted...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the 4 brake shoes and found that they didn't match the original set. They were close but definetely different. I took them back to Advance Auto and they replaced them. The new set works fine.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
sbleier said:
I removed the 4 brake shoes and found that they didn't match the original set. They were close but definetely different. I took them back to Advance Auto and they replaced them. The new set works fine.
Do I get "partial credit" ?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
Do I get "partial credit" ?
I'll give you some credit!! lol

Just another tip for DIY mechanics, leave one side of the vehicle as is and change the brakes on the otherside first, that way you always have a reference.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
POLRCUB said:
Just another tip for DIY mechanics, leave one side of the vehicle as is and change the brakes on the otherside first, that way you always have a reference.
Learned that one early in life - most likely the hard way ! Had to have my brother bail me out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts