GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say that I'm not ready to buy right now, but am doing my homework. Probably next summer, but the research is fun so I'm getting started now.

We currently have two Equinoxes, a '14 with about 60,000 miles and a '16 with about 35,000. Both are V6, AWD and completely trouble free so far. So a while back I test drove a new Nox (two times) with the 2.0T engine and liked it quite a bit. The Ford Escape has never been on my radar until a few weeks ago. It's a new redesign for 2020. I would be interested in the 2.0 Ecoboost which is mated with an 8 speed auto. So I drove one of them the other day. It scoots along pretty quickly with it's 250 hp. and 280 torque. Felt about like the Equinox. It's probably a little more nimble than the Nox. But it would be the first year of a redesign with a new transmission. That could be a problem.

What I like about the Escape is that leather seating can be optioned in a version that is not top of the line. With the Nox I'm not seeing where leather is available without the top trim. It also has paddle shifters which I would like, except they didn't work as I expected them to. Granted the vehicle I was in had not been prepped at all, so maybe something in the prep would change that or maybe I was just using them incorrectly.

I also liked that if I got the Escape it would be something different from the Equinox inside. Of course it also looks different outside. And I liked that at first. But the more I'm thinking about it, the new Escape looks just like a lot of the other small SUVs. Think Rogue, CRV, CX5, etc.... I don't really care for the way the Equinox roof line slopes down the back, but at least it doesn't look like every other SUV.

The Escape does not have a shift lever like we do. It had a rotary dial for the transmission. That would take some getting used to. It also has drive modes; Eco, normal, sport, slippery and sand and deep snow. Seems cool at first, but is it really necessary? My '16 Nox was impressive last winter in six inches of virgin snow. Not sure I need a bunch of modes.

So after driving the Escape the other day, I had moved it into first place on my list of next vehicles. But the more I'm thinking about it, I'm liking the look and size of the Equinox more. Escape is a few inches shorter at 180. I believe the current Nox is 183, but I'm used to driving the '16 which is 188 if I'm remembering correctly. So the Escape feels a little small to me.

I've also driven the new RAV4 which is slow, CX5 which is fast but real small, and the Tiguan which is right sized but slow and sounds like a tractor.

So as of now, I think I'm back to liking the current generation of Equinox the best. A 2020 Nox is the third year of that generation. Bugs should be worked out, I would think. Not so with a 2020 Escape.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 2020 Escape is the subject of a recall already, so I would definitely wait until 2nd or 3rd model year to let Ford work out all of the bugs. Plus it is important to wait for the crash test results to see how it fares. Too many unknowns at this point.

The current Equinox is OK, but gets pricey really fast when you start adding options. Dealer discounts and rebates make the price a little more palatable. For 2020 you can get a 2.0T, AWD, LT with the midnight package that includes black leather. So if you want black, you can option out a black LT with the midnight package and get leather for just about $35K. Otherwise you need to go top of the line Premier for leather if you don't want black with the midnight package on the LT.

I am a little disappointed that GM and the UAW can't come to terms and end the strike. It is starting to really hurt GM employees, GM dealers and end consumers while GM and the Union go back and forth.

I am in the market for a new CUV/SUV and finding it increasingly difficult to consider another GM product or a Ford. I have never owned a Japanese brand vehicle, but Honda, Toyota, and Mazda are starting to rise to the top of my list. Nissan and Subaru are out just because of the CVT transmissions. I tried Hyundai, and that was 5 years of relatively reliable transportation, despite 6 recalls a few warranty issues, and a dealer service department that started off amazing and degraded over the years that I had the car. I have also been reading some of the KIA forums and it seems there numerous complaints about poor dealer experiences and overall quality issues with them too.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
If a vehicle is performing great... why trade it in?

Im pretty sure there are some Nox 4 cyl owners who would question you giving up a no problem vehicle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't get a chance to drive the Escape when I got mine, it may not have been out yet. As for the Equinox I have a 2019 Premier 2.0T FWD and I have about 7k on it so far with no real issues. The nav. SD card wouldn't read a few times and I had to eject and reinstall it. Other than that it's been good. Love the ride, fairly quiet inside, plenty of get-up-and-go when I need to make a quick move or pass, that inspires confidence. Most brands are slower 0 to 60 and I can't deal with that.

One other reason I got the Equinox was the infotainment technology and OnStar, my wife is a big OnStar fan and is willing to pay for it for both cars (2017 Malibu) and her sons car (2015 Malibu). So we are all Chevrolet in our family. I use Apple CarPlay every day and she uses Android Auto when she drives the Equinox, very nice system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I spent time driving both 2019's before I made my decision and this was the major factors

Equinox better 9 speed (but that is changing in the Escape 2020)
Equinox shorter front window better visibility (but that is changing in the Escape 2020)
Escape better sound system (and that is comparing the Bose unfortunately)
Escape better GPS and audio control responds
Equinox better camera system (but Ford may be upping that)

I drive my Equinox for personal use and an Escape at work. Between the two they are both very similar and great vehicles. I did not have time to wait for the 2020 Escape but if it is a step up GM should worry.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Well .. . . We went by price, comfort and size.
I liked the size and feel of the 2nd Gen Equinox. After trying a 2018 Equinox test drive twice with the two engines, I will say they were peppy. Interiors were ok. Radio and controls were good. Seats were not so great for us. They just seemed a tad too small compared to our 2015 Equinox.
Then. . . yes, there was the "leather" seat thing. Would have to buy a Premium to get leather and also seemed like other options or packages were always added on. Didn't want a sun roof or Nav.

But were weren't in the market anyway . . . until in June 2019.
I am always [email protected]@king at what is out there and what might be next for us.
Along came a deal on an 2019 Acadia SLT-1.

The size is 6" longer and 2.5" wider than our 2015 Equinox was so very close, but much more actual room inside. The 2018+ Equinox just seems a bit to "compact" for us. And we are not large people.

If you think that this is "too much SUV" . . . watch for the rebates and they often seem to be better than Equinox/Terrain. For the price we got ours for it was too good to pass up.

Comfort . . check.
Leather seats in a lower trim level . . . check.
Roomy and much nicer ride. . . check.
Smooth and great power. . . . check.

Reasonable actual calculated (every fill up) MPG at about 22MPG mixed and 28 to 32 MPG highway. . . check.
Price at the time with several rebates. . . . $30,779 plus tax, fees, etc. ($40,785 MSRP )

More vehicle than I thought we would ever own. Very plush is the word i think. Somehow, the new Equinox, Fords, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, VW, don't come close for the money.

So. . for the money, we opted and the 3rd row seats for grand kids at times is great. They love being "back there".

Attachments

Reactions: Crankme69 and wbw

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice JayTee. I like it, but for me it's just a little too large. But I bet the grandkids do like going 'back there'. If I was a kid that's where I would want to be.

None of those other cars I mentioned had seats that I found as comfortable as I do my current Equinox or even the '19s that I test drove. Those seats are a little smaller than my '16 but they still felt really good for me.

I'm not planning to buy until next year, so I've got plenty of time to change my mind, but after driving those other comparable SUVs, so far I keep coming back to the Equinox.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

Im pretty sure there are some Nox 4 cyl owners who would question you giving up a no problem vehicle.
Well said.

I was at the dealer this morning for an oil change, still under the extended warranty.
I sat in a couple of new Blazers, didn't drive one.
Thinking the same thing, why rush, going on six years of trouble free driving.
Maybe a 2021 or 2022.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I hear you. I wonder the same thing sometimes. I really do like my '16, but the new generation is a slightly different driving experience. It's a little smaller and lighter so it's a little more nimble. And I really liked the 2.0 Turbo. Don't know if it's actually quicker than my V6 but it feels quicker.

The other thing is that I love cars and am just ready for something a little different. I'm not ancient, but I figure that I've only got one or two more new cars in me before the kids take the keys away because I don't know my own name. :wink:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Well said.

I was at the dealer this morning for an oil change, still under the extended warranty.
I sat in a couple of new Blazers, didn't drive one.
Thinking the same thing, why rush, going on six years of trouble free driving.
Maybe a 2021 or 2022.

But "what if" .. . .. something comes along? :grin:

I felt the same. . . . Then we took a test drive in the Acadia when the rebates were generous. The ride is another level smoother.

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some people just like to get something new/different after 5 or so years. Other people like to purchase a car and drive it as long as they possibly can. It is just a matter of personal choice.

I purchased my 2015 Equinox new 4.5 years ago. It now has 53,000 miles on it. It has been mechanically trouble free outside of me replacing the fuel purge valve solenoid, and needing new front rotors under warranty. I also replaced the blower motor myself when the original one starting clicking loudly.

It is starting to develop little issues that are slowly driving me mad.

The front passenger door window has an obnoxious rattle, but only when it is hot out and the window is all the way up. If I lower the window just slightly (like 1/8 of an inch) the rattle stops. Likewise, when I crank the AC the rattle eventually stops even when the window is all the way up. It NEVER does it in the morning, only in the afternoon. It will drive a person mad on a warm/hot day on a 1 hour drive home when you have had a killer day at work and just want to decompress. It started randomly 40,000 miles ago and now is becoming a regular occurrence as the car gets older.

There is a noticeable buzz/rattle coming from the driver's side B-pillar somewhere...right next to the driver's ear. That gets really old really fast.

The front windshield is getting severely pitted.

The rear hatch glass has severe wiper etching in it. Really annoying when driving at night.

The glossy black trim on the back, on either side of the rear hatch, is starting to get severely "crazed" looking. Lots of deep swirls and scratches.

The gray plastic trim all around is starting to become gray and modeled, requiring more frequent applications of Back to Black trim restorer type of products to bring them back.

The headlights are starting to haze, requiring more frequent applications of headlight polishing compound to keep them clear.

The rear doors are starting to shake noticeably when going over larger bumps, creating a significant shuddering/clattering noise in the process.

The driver's seat adjustable lumbar is starting to shift/move in the seat if you lean back in the seat too much.

The front rotors are warped again and will need to be replaced. I will not resurface rotors as my drive is very windy and hilly and puts rotors through quite a heat cycle each day. Resurfacing rotors would be a waste of time and money.

The rear hatch release is getting "sticky", sometimes requiring multiple pressing of the release switch and simultaneous tugging on the hatch to get it to open. It will go weeks being just fine, and then have a couple of weeks where it gets moody, only to go back to normal for a time.

There is a horrendous, random bang/pop in the rear suspension when going over certain types of bumps or dips in the road. It is not repeatable to the point where it could be easily diagnosed or repaired. That has been going on for 3+ years now. Maybe a bad shock, maybe bad sway bar end links, who knows? Vehicle rides fine otherwise.

These are all little things that really start to add up when evaluating the long-term livability of a vehicle. Keeping a vehicle for upwards of 10 years is great if it is tolerable for what you use it for. But for people who are more sensitive to little nagging issues or who spend hours each day in their vehicle, they may just choose to change out of it after 5 or so years and start over with something else.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
Wow, you would be a great salesman for selling your car...not. LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
Since you are doing some research, take a look at the Equinox stablemate the Terrain. It may check off more boxes, with the leather being available without getting into the 'Denali' trim level, although the tranny controls might drive you crazy with the buttons. Some of the other vehicles you mentioned, Rav4 do come with a CVT as well as some others, Toyota is better at disguising it with a first gear cog then the cvt takes it from there. I am not sure about Honda, but Mazda does not have one (yet). CVTs sorry to say it are going to come to a great many other vehicles, JATCO or not. Automakers would rather annoy people than miss a fuel target.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Who cares as long as it is American (mine was Canadian) made.
For 2019, the top 10 most american made vehicles include 4 Hondas and 2 Acuras. The Corvette, Colorado, and Canyon did make the list. The automotive market is crazy anymore. Where I work we make parts for nearly everybody out there. Its a pretty global market anymore.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The front windshield is getting severely pitted.

Our insurance company has replaced several windshields for us over the years due to sand pitting.
Because of the glare at night they consider it a safety item.
Comprehensive takes care of this and the deductible on glass was low.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The exterior styling on the 'new' Escape is straight garbage!! Who wants to ride around on a lifted Focus?? No one...

Now the Subaru Outback gets the new 2.4 XT motor/Onyx edition that would be on my radar if you're looking. GL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I agree with another comment, definitely test drive Terrain. Still a GM vehicle, but a slightly different design.

I rented a Ford car with a shift wheel and it's easy to get used to but not a fan of new Escape. I wanted to like it but didn't, too much like a car. That was Ford's goal. Ford engineer said as more people move from cars to 1st time SUVs (thanks to them dumping their car models) the Escape is now designed to give the feel of a car yet has better ground clearance. Their head marketing guy said on youtube video that their main demographic for Escape has been FEMALE so they designed with that in mind. He said men will be steered to Baby Bronco in 2020. So you can check that out in the spring, also 2020 Chevy Trailblazer (but that's sized between Equinox & Trax). I guess I do see more women driving Escapes.

I don't like the short look of the 2020 Escape. I saw a side by side comparison with Ford Edge on marketing piece and Escape looked much shorter. I wanted to like it because I need a new vehicle, but not liking the new rounded design. 2020 has many re-designs coming out. Good you have time to wait. I don't as we're down a vehicle. Check dimensions from 2019 Escape and compare.

·
Banned
61 Posts
First off let me say that I'm not ready to buy right now, but am doing my homework. Probably next summer, but the research is fun so I'm getting started now.

We currently have two Equinoxes, a '14 with about 60,000 miles and a '16 with about 35,000. Both are V6, AWD and completely trouble free so far. So a while back I test drove a new Nox (two times) with the 2.0T engine and liked it quite a bit. The Ford Escape has never been on my radar until a few weeks ago. It's a new redesign for 2020. I would be interested in the 2.0 Ecoboost which is mated with an 8 speed auto. So I drove one of them the other day. It scoots along pretty quickly with it's 250 hp. and 280 torque. Felt about like the Equinox. It's probably a little more nimble than the Nox. But it would be the first year of a redesign with a new transmission. That could be a problem.

What I like about the Escape is that leather seating can be optioned in a version that is not top of the line. With the Nox I'm not seeing where leather is available without the top trim. It also has paddle shifters which I would like, except they didn't work as I expected them to. Granted the vehicle I was in had not been prepped at all, so maybe something in the prep would change that or maybe I was just using them incorrectly.

I also liked that if I got the Escape it would be something different from the Equinox inside. Of course it also looks different outside. And I liked that at first. But the more I'm thinking about it, the new Escape looks just like a lot of the other small SUVs. Think Rogue, CRV, CX5, etc.... I don't really care for the way the Equinox roof line slopes down the back, but at least it doesn't look like every other SUV.

The Escape does not have a shift lever like we do. It had a rotary dial for the transmission. That would take some getting used to. It also has drive modes; Eco, normal, sport, slippery and sand and deep snow. Seems cool at first, but is it really necessary? My '16 Nox was impressive last winter in six inches of virgin snow. Not sure I need a bunch of modes.

So after driving the Escape the other day, I had moved it into first place on my list of next vehicles. But the more I'm thinking about it, I'm liking the look and size of the Equinox more. Escape is a few inches shorter at 180. I believe the current Nox is 183, but I'm used to driving the '16 which is 188 if I'm remembering correctly. So the Escape feels a little small to me.

I've also driven the new RAV4 which is slow, CX5 which is fast but real small, and the Tiguan which is right sized but slow and sounds like a tractor.

So as of now, I think I'm back to liking the current generation of Equinox the best. A 2020 Nox is the third year of that generation. Bugs should be worked out, I would think. Not so with a 2020 Escape.

Save yourself some major headaches and go with Toyota. Move up to the Highlander if you need power. GM 4 cylinders are notoriously bad. If you trade cars before they go out of warranty, then any will do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts