GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Equinox that my wife (mostly) drives. She told me about a noise she was hearing a few weeks ago. I hadn't heard it myself until recently. I have little knowledge about these types of things and would appreciate any direction in which to investigate. Here's what I know:
The best comparison for a noise would be an analog clock, but with a more metallic sound, when the vehicle is in motion

Sounds like it is coming from the passenger front half of the car
I WD40'd the serpentine belt and the wheels it turns
I checked the brakes (not worn down too much)
CV boots are good (the ones near the wheels; didn't check any others)
The noise seemingly disappears when cornering right
The noise amplifies when cornering left
Unfortunately, wind noise drowns out anything I would be able to hear, so I don't know if it is louder at higher speeds
The noise does not occur during idle or stationery revving of engine
The rate of the noise is around 4 ticks/clicks a second

So, I think it may be any of these:

wheel bearings
shocks or struts
ball joint

Could it be something else? Or did I narrow it well? I just don't have the know-how to deduce it further than I've detailed.

Thanks for any direction!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 Equinox. My wife drives it most of the time. There is a noise coming from below the vehicle when it is on motion.

It sounds something like a piece of sheet metal bending backward and forward. It is most noticeable when driving over bumps and roads paved with concrete. At each pavement section, noise occurs. Noise not noticeable at highway speeds. (Probably due to general road/tire noise.) For reasons unknown, at lower speeds, noise is reduced significantly when pressure is applied to brake pedal.

I have tried to get it resolved without luck at the dealer.

1. Dealer thought it might be the sway bar connecting rods. Both were replaced, problem continues.
2. Dealer examined shocks and struts; all appear OK.
3. Dealer examined brake pads, rotors, calipers; all appear OK.

I posted this problem previously and got a response from a "Tricia" at GM Customer Service but somehow I lost my username and password and cannot reach her.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
patwith05equinox said:
I have an 05 Equinox. My wife drives it most of the time. There is a noise coming from below the vehicle when it is on motion.

It sounds something like a piece of sheet metal bending backward and forward. It is most noticeable when driving over bumps and roads paved with concrete. At each pavement section, noise occurs. Noise not noticeable at highway speeds. (Probably due to general road/tire noise.) For reasons unknown, at lower speeds, noise is reduced significantly when pressure is applied to brake pedal.

I have tried to get it resolved without luck at the dealer.

1. Dealer thought it might be the sway bar connecting rods. Both were replaced, problem continues.
2. Dealer examined shocks and struts; all appear OK.
3. Dealer examined brake pads, rotors, calipers; all appear OK.

I posted this problem previously and got a response from a "Tricia" at GM Customer Service but somehow I lost my username and password and cannot reach her.
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts