GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just joined, I've been looking for these discussions and input! So, I'm mid 50s trucker, ex g.m "goodwrench" tech. Diesel tech, always drove Diesels autos since the 80's currently own 18 equinox and, lt Diesel & a colorado 4dr. 2wd 2.8 Diesel. My wife drives the equinox, and has been an amazing carefree vehicle. Avg.41mpg, up to 47! I do my own maintenance of course, she called today and said message on dash, 100 miles to power degrade, def, emissions issue. And counting down miles... so, here is what I highly suspect, and no happens in modern big truck Diesels, and have heard of happening on the colorado diesel, d.e.f. crystallizes like salt,and plugs the injector. Common and easy fix, normally but I won't be home until tomorrow. Pull computer code e.t.c . If I can't fix it, off to the dealer I worked for in North Ohio. Will update soon . anybody else had this issue before 60k
Is this due to a lot of short trips ..that it did not do a regen and need a manual regen ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where do you get the fuel filter life monitor ? i got mine changed blind at 30000 miles...i asked the dealership on how to look at it for monitoring puposes...the support guy fiddled around the screens and then said...."hmmm weird " and basically said the tech who replaced the filter has reset it anyways !! I have a blue driver obd scanner and that does not show the fuel filter life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some of the equinox have the fuel filter life and some don't ,my wife has an 18 TD premier AWD and my equinox is the premier also but front wheel drive. I noticed in the scroll screen hers has fuel filter life but my equinox does not and my screen has oil pressure and hers doesn't not sure why this is a thing also have had nothing but problems with my equinox have had every component of def system replaced and still going into limp mode and won't regen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's something I found in another forum.

05-09 Equinox Maintenance
On July 27th, 2019, I purchased a 2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel from Circle Auto Group in Shrewsbury New Jersey. It was "new" having only 25 miles on it. On October 16th, 2021, my transmission failed. My car had 88,000 miles on it, so it was no longer under warranty. I had to spend $5,000.00 on a new transmission. I contacted GM and they said it would have to be repaired at the dealer and not my regular mechanic if I wanted any assistance with the cost. After having it repaired at the dealer at a MUCH higher cost than my regular mechanic would have charged, the dealership declined to work with GM to get me some assistance with the cost of repair. Two weeks later part of my turbo and my Diesel Particulate Filter (catalytic converter) had to be replaced. At this time, after a NEGATIVE experience with the dealer replacing my transmission, I opted to NOT go back there and instead had my regular mechanic repair these additional issues. Keep in mind that my regular mechanic sends my car to this same local dealer for diagnosis prior to his doing the repairs due to the computer codes being proprietary, so even though it is not the Chevy dealer doing the work, they do the diagnosis and inform my mechanic on what he needs to fix. I was finally able to get GM to pay me directly for the transmission in January. They reimbursed $1,478.92 on January 24th, 2022. Out of $5000.00. I was without a car for a total of 2 months. Fortunately, I had my employer's vehicle to use, otherwise rental costs would have been ENORMOUS! These new repairs cost $3,000.00. GM declined to help because I would not take my car back to the TERRIBLE Chevy dealership. GM said they would direct me to another dealership in the area. I called two of them and was told that I could get an appointment in about a month. WHAT would I do in the interim to get back and forth to work if I had to wait another month to even get an appointment for my BROKEN UNDRIVEABLE car?! This was not a workable solution AT ALL! My regular mechanic was my ONLY VIABLE option. Now, 6 months later, the catalytic converter is bad again. This is a minimum of $3000 to repair. My mechanic does not know if Chevy will warranty this part because it is the motor, which is clearly not running the regeneration properly or even at all, that is causing the clogging of the catalytic converter. THIS DIESEL MOTOR IS BAD.
I was so incredibly stupid to have been excited about this vehicle purchase. This is the first time EVER that I have bought a new car. It ran just fine with regularly scheduled servicing, RIGHT UP UNTIL THE WARRANTY EXPIRED. That alone is very suspect considering that GM warranties other diesel vehicles for much longer. I have spent over $10,000 on repairs on this vehicle to date. I’m now looking at at least another $3000. It is quite literally making me broke. The economy is terrible. Everything is incredibly expensive. And to top that off, my “new” car that I was so excited about costs me thousands of dollars every few months to repair. This motor should be recalled. I cannot afford to take my car to be repaired at the dealer who charges INSANE rates. And I see zero benefit in that as they have diagnosed the car each time for my personal mechanic and still nothing stays fixed.
Customer service at GM offered for me to trade the car in. I can’t even imagine what they’d offer me. Certainly not nearly what I owe on it. I despise this car.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts