21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
11 Posts
I am currently a proud owner of a 2018 Equinox AWD Premier Diesel purchased new from a franchised, well known local family type dealership known to the Washington DC/MD/VA area, in June 2018 . It has everything except the larger wheels, which from what I read online make the ride a little more rough. My purchase experience would try anyone's patience. My car was delivered to me not by my Salesman (who said he would be present) but by one of the Managers, who kept me waiting for almost an hour. Coming to the Salesman's cubicle, he threw down the owner's manual and my two keys on the desk and said my car was being prepped (I paid for some kind of paint protection) and washed. When I finally got the car, everything was cleaned but they left the paper floor mat and the porter left his half drunk Orange Fanta in my console. I kept it as a humorous reminder of my experience all this time finally trashing it this month.

I purchased an extended (6/100K) warranty and a service contract (5/60K) that I was led to believe was a full maintenance one but turns out pays for only oil changes, tire rotations, multi point inspection and had coupons for car washes and discounts (5%) on air conditioning checks. It cost me $1500. Had I known that it wasn't a full service contract, I wouldn't have bought it but by the time this was realized after my 2 free service visits, my cash in point was so low, I just decided to let it run. Upon return to the dealership for oil changes, I have occasionally discovered that the Finance Dept undersold my contract as a 'gas' vehicle and not Diesel. On occasion, I was told I had to pay in excess of the 'covered' service until arguing with the Service Advisor. The end result now is the 'difference' is charged back to Finance for their mistake. If I was able to change the oil, myself, I would be using a Mobil 1 or similar synthetic and not the GM half synthetic or whatever its called that the dealer uses. On my previous cars, I was able to change my own oil, but on YouTube, they have a Cruze Diesel (same engine) that appears complicated with the removal of things in the way. Once my free oil changes are used up, I may revisit the process to save me the $80+ the dealer charges. Or, I may just buy my Mobil 1 and filter and let the dealer do it and pay the labor. Not sure at this point. As other owners know, the car came from the factory with the nitrogen filled tires. During maintenance services, getting to have your tires topped off costs EXTRA. A Chevy dealer that I once used for
one oil change doesn't even have then nitrogen. This is crazy. Costco uses nitrogen in their tires and they never charge extra to top off.

The extended warranty recently came in handy when I was told an emissions related item had to be replaced at a cost of about $800. What perplexes me is why the 'emissions' related item wasn't part of the emissions warranty (100K?). I was told by the dealer that it isn't. Hmmm.

The urea fuel additive I fill according to the reminder on the dashboard. I have discovered you CAN drive beyond the -0- warning but have not actually tested it to the point when the system kicks in its lowered speed setting. I buy 2 jugs at Advance Auto taking advantage of any current coupons and the Rakuten cash back offer purchased online.

According to the car's computer, I average mpg in the high 30s, exceeding 40 if its on a sustained speed. Anyone living around the Wash DC metro area knows traffic isn't always sustained driving at 60 mph except, maybe after midnight. With the Gas Buddy app, I am able to find the lowest priced Diesel in the area, which, where I live/work, is either in Waldorf or the Glen Burnie area..usually Sams Club. I usually travel 550-just over 600 on a tank. Just the fact I'm filling up about a week doing the travel I do around the metro area is very satisfying.

Due to the car's low sales, I occasionally get comments from the big truck drivers questioning me if I'm putting the wrong fuel in my car at fill ups. Its a great conversation starter and receive positive comments on my high mpg averages.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I see - even with fuel prices “tanking” with the CaronaVirus scare, the difference between 87 regular and diesel where I am is *still* 70 cents/gallon.

I can get regular for $1.69 with a credit card versus $2.39 for diesel (with credit card). Both numbers a little bit less with cash, of course.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Regular 87 here is $1.19/ U.S. gallon.
I've read where some places are $0.99/gal/

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Regular 87 here is $1.19/ U.S. gallon.
I've read where some places are $0.99/gal/
OMG!! That's insane!! I wonder if my area is just lagging and will eventually get that low?

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
OMG!! That's insane!! I wonder if my area is just lagging and will eventually get that low?

Too bad you can't pre-pay for a few thousand gallons. Seems like it would be a much better investment than anything else.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
5,333 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello! First time here.

Got my new Equinox TD 2018 in June of 18. I got it to replace my 2006 Malibu Maxx which was a great car, the room of a SUV and very comfortable.

I used up my two free oil change and now facing another one. A quote from a local shop (not dealer) is over $200 for oil change/tire rotation/drain water from fuel filter. I think my jaw dropped when I heard the price. I might make a call to my local dealer and see their price might be better. I mean, the parts for oil change is like less than $45 from Walmart for Dexo2 Pennzoil Euro L 5-30W plus a AC Delco filter.

I might do this myself and if I do I might also make a video out of it since I can't find anything on Youtube.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
668 Posts
I used up my two free oil change and now facing another one. A quote from a local shop (not dealer) is over $200 for oil change/tire rotation/drain water from fuel filter. I think my jaw dropped when I heard the price. I might make a call to my local dealer and see their price might be better. I mean, the parts for oil change is like less than $45 from Walmart for Dexo2 Pennzoil Euro L 5-30W plus a AC Delco filter.

Welcome !

Find another dealer if you want to keep GM certified maintenance (remember any GM dealership qualify as GM certified)...or any other trusted mechanic.
The dealership i go to charges roughly between $80 to $120 ($120 when i changed an air filter i think). They buy AC Delco oil by the bulk...so material should be way cheaper than walmart !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks,

Question, in the manual it says to drain the water from fuel/water separator during every oil change. However, when I asked about that after the free service last time the guy at the dealership was like, eh? I don't know what you are talking about. Well, the service desk guy was obviously clueless. But, from your experience, how often does it need to be drained? Just depending on your local fuel condition?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have owned several diesel pick ups and a tractor. Water in fuel does accumulate in the bottom of filters if the fuel has water in it and if you're not using a treatment that disperses the water. Diesel fuel treatments can put water into suspension - tiny droplets that do not accumulate but instead pass through the combustion process. I use Stanadyne Performance additive and water never accumulates and I no longer need to drain fuel filters.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
11 Posts
Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

I have used the Blue DEF since having my Equinox Diesel. Up to now, I've purchased 2, 2.5 gallon containers from Advance Auto online, with an coupon and the Rakuten cash back link. It costs about $25. Today, the cash back is a measly 1%. I looked at Auto Zone and the same 2, 2.5 gallons would cost me about $32 and a 4% Rakuten cash back. I see the store brand is only $22! The ingredients look the same.. 'synthentic high purity urea.' I used to joke with close ones that if the exhaust treatment fluid were truly part of one's urine..I could save money peeing into the tank every so often. Has anyone used any non-brand name urea fluid in their diesels? $11 is not quite a small difference.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

I have used the Blue DEF since having my Equinox Diesel. Up to now, I've purchased 2, 2.5 gallon containers from Advance Auto online, with an coupon and the Rakuten cash back link. It costs about $25. Today, the cash back is a measly 1%. I looked at Auto Zone and the same 2, 2.5 gallons would cost me about $32 and a 4% Rakuten cash back. I see the store brand is only $22! The ingredients look the same.. 'synthentic high purity urea.' I used to joke with close ones that if the exhaust treatment fluid were truly part of one's urine..I could save money peeing into the tank every so often. Has anyone used any non-brand name urea fluid in their diesels? $11 is not quite a small difference.

why are you buying so expensively....most truck station sell it at the pump for less than 2 dollars per gallon.
Remember the manual says that you should use ISO 22241 DEF or has the API logo on it. Walmart brand of DEF is less than $8 for 2.5 gal....
Remember the more important thing is the shelf life of DEF...do not buy one which has been sitting for more than a year from manufacture date !!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks,

Question, in the manual it says to drain the water from fuel/water separator during every oil change. However, when I asked about that after the free service last time the guy at the dealership was like, eh? I don't know what you are talking about. Well, the service desk guy was obviously clueless. But, from your experience, how often does it need to be drained? Just depending on your local fuel condition?

Yes depends on your local fuel....and rainy regions have a higher probability of water seeping in underground pump tanks. I think the manual says it is good to purge the filter at every servicing...but does not require it.
Also according the manual the DIC will tell you if too much water accumulates in the filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DIY oil change today. Not as bad as I expected. There's that open cross-beam with 15mm nuts one has to move out the way but there's no aero panel to remove in order to access the drain plug (15mm) and the oil filter (24mm). The oil filer is right by the drain plug and face downward and there's a drain nut in the middle of the filter housing. I think it's a 6mm hex. I had to remove the oil-fiter drain plug completely to let the oil drain out and it was quite a bit so I would never remove the filter without draining it first.

5.3 quart is quite a bit of oil, it come close to fill up my plastic oil pen and it's very dark.

Oh, I also took a look at the fuel filter to see how to drain water in the future. The entire thing is plastic and I do not see a drain plug. I did find a video for cruze but I don't see the nuts in the picture I took

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=mAzKt_JMYFY&feature=emb_logo
=

Attachments

Reactions: tizan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is info from the manual on how to drain the water from the fuel filter housing.
I did not do this when I changed the fuel filter, just took the housing apart and poured it all in a container.
Note that the fuel filter housing is mounted to the body w/ a plastic bracket that is just strong enough to support the assembly.
It will not sustain the torque necessary to un-thread the fuel filter housing from the case.
I had to use giant (coffee can holding size) slip-joint pliers to apply counter force while I unthreaded the filter housing.

equinoxwaterdrainfuelfilter

Reactions: ZNuts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, I got the instruction too but if you notice the picture I took doesn't show a drain plug with hex. It appears there's an additional plastic cover on my vehicle.

In any case, after reading on the problems that some Cruze owner with getting it off I would just have the dealer do it, at least for the first time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fuel filter Cap Drain

Heres a picture of my diesel fuel filter cap. A flat blade screwdriver works and simply unscrew until water drains.

Also here is a picture of my oil filter cover showing the new one and the original following my first "free" oil change where the dealer stripped the filter cap drain (6 mm). Needless to say the first and last time I go to that "Quality" Chevy Dealer! They wanted rave reviews and I wrote to the manager he needed to earn the review vice lobby for it - never did get a reply, nor will I ever return.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
^^^ We learned the hard way with our 2014 Diesel Cruze to never, ever allow the dealer service department anywhere near our cars, unless there was no other option.
Epic damage, lying, and incompetence.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts