GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people got the recall letter from GM for the Diesel. They want to reprogram the computer. The focus on the problems with California emissions. I am not having any issues with mine (2018 Equinox Premier 1.6l Diesel). I have seen first hand what the reprogramming of Diesel for emissions does. Look at the 1/2 Dodge with the 3.0l Diesel. They had a major MPG loss, loss of power and drivability issues after update. Most owners said they would not have bought the vehicle if they knew it would turn out like this. I am not interested in any update as the MPG and power of the Diesel were the selling points for me. Who wants GM to reprogram their Diesel for emissions?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are happy with the performance and economy now and don't need to pass California emissions tests I'd leave well enough alone - try to find out more about the reflash as time passes. There's no urgency and Chevrolet will keep sending you notices as long as you have the vehicle.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just keep it away from your dealer; as they would likely automatically do the update without your approval if it were to go in for any services.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
665 Posts
From my reading of the notice

This is not a performance one...it is one to prevent too many regeneration.

It seems that under some circumstances it is doing too many regen and if that happens it should throw a CEL which the programming as it is is not doing.

After the reprogramming then if your car is suffering from this regen malfunction you'll get a CEL and if they fix it you'll have less regens and thus better performance...if your car does not have that malfunction ...it should be a benign change.

Again my understanding...don't blame me if you think your dealership broke your car :)

This is the second reprogramming recall on my vehicle...the first one went fine and no loss of perfomance or mpg. I'll most probably get this done in 2 to 3 months time,when i go for the next servicing, as we are not driving as much in time of pandemic. Not every diesel recall is a VW problem.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just keep it away from your dealer; as they would likely automatically do the update without your approval if it were to go in for any services.

Agree with this 100%. I had a 2014 Malibu with sunroof that I could open fractionally--lift the rear in very small amounts--and I used it routinely to vent hot air while running the AC; at driving speeds there was no noise at those reduced openings. Took car in for a routine service (factory two visits for oil changes); they arbitrarily performed an update without telling me. The update eliminated the ability to partially open; it was either fully open as a vent, fully retracted as an open sun roof, or fully closed. Dealership couldn't or wouldn't reverse to original settings.

My 2012 Camaro hasn't been to a dealership since they issued a recall to modify the "switch blade" key fobs; too many stories of folks dropping vehicle off and coming back to find key fob had been altered without their consent.:sad:

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
10 Posts
Mine was done when I had my oil/filter/diagnostic check at 48K. I don't notice any performance or fuel mileage issues. I left the house today out of boredom on a 50 mi run. My mpg readings said I averaged 42 mpg for the trip!
No discernible negative results, so far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got the recall letter too and a couple weeks before, an offer from GM... They would give me $500 if I let them take the car for a month to "test" it at their facility (translation: Mr. Goodwrench wants to beat it like a rented mule). No thanks.

The recall notice also said they were going to rat me out to the DMV and I would not be able to renew the registration unless the reprogram was done. Have not done anything yet.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Got the recall letter too and a couple weeks before, an offer from GM... They would give me $500 if I let them take the car for a month to "test" it at their facility (translation: Mr. Goodwrench wants to beat it like a rented mule). No thanks.

The recall notice also said they were going to rat me out to the DMV and I would not be able to renew the registration unless the reprogram was done. Have not done anything yet.
The would make me see red! What police state do you live in? I get soooo frustrated with EPA policies and dogmatic attempts to enforce.

·
Registered
958 Posts
California Air Resource Board has faaaaar to much power.

I lived in Sacramento '68-'72, '76-'79, '85-'89 (US Air Force). Bought a '70 VW Beetle in fall of '70 and then took it to Japan in fall '72. When I took it back to California in late '75 and attempted to register it again, I was told it had to have a CARB-required device installed before it could be registered; by CARB directive, they couldn't charge more than $XX for the device--but the device wasn't available at anything less than double that amount. If the car had remained in California, it wouldn't have to be retro-fitted, but since it had been out of state and was now coming back it had to comply. I was between the proverbial "rock" and a "hard spot" and "up the creek without a paddle." Fortunately, when I went to DMV, the clerk I was working with had a true "problem-solving" attitude. After explaining my situation, she asked me how the vehicle was titled/registered--in my name only or jointly with my wife. Since it was in only my name, she processed it as a change of title/registration and licensed the vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since the recall/update is supposedly only to correct potential regeneration problems, took it in for the update. Seems to run as it did before (no notable performance or fuel mileage degradation). We will see.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts