GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After recently finding this forum, I've gotten some really useful information already regarding adding a sub to my factory system (the standard stereo in the 2011 4cyl model). BUT, I'm left with two questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. If I disconnect the negative battery terminal while working on things, will I encounter problems with the factory stereo (security codes or such) or any other car system?
2. How the heck do you even get to the battery on the 2011 4cyl Equinox?? I know it's there beneath the the massive heat sink. But I've never seen such a battery system in a car before. Could I maybe just run the amp power from the remote jumper post somehow? It would be a heck of a lot easier, for sure.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
978 Posts
1. No

2. You could mount to the "jumper post" but I would not.
If you decide to anyway...the post unscrews, use a socket and a 1/4 drive ratchet to loosen it.

The battery is quite easy to get to.
Remove the plastic cover on top of the heat sink (it slides off after you release the 1 tab)
Remove the heat sink (it slides off after you release 2 tabs and 1 screw)
You can temporarily stow the heat sink as pictured below...it sits there real nice.

If you want to remove the battery...there are more steps involved...let me know

the pic expands...how depends on your browser[/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the information MOCHANOX!! :thumb: (I don't foresee needing to remove the battery...at least not for this purpose...but thanks anyway!)

·
Registered
978 Posts
grywolf627 said:
1. If I disconnect the negative battery terminal while working on things, will I encounter problems with the factory stereo (security codes or such) or any other car system?
You will loose radio presets (favorites)
Can't remember if I had to reset vehicle personalization in the DIC menu but I think so
Minor stuff like that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I fully expected to lose that sort of stuff. Like you say, minor things. Just wanted to make sure security codes weren't needed, or somehow affecting the computer system. I've never had a vehicle with such complex systems before. It's a whole new beast for me. :) Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One last (hopefully) thing: is there an easy way of getting the power cable through the firewall (a pre-existing hole/grommet)? Or am I looking at having to drill my own?

By the way, I belong to several different types of forums (photography, audio/music production and such)...but this is one of the friendliest, most helpful forums I've come across.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you are most likely going to have to drill.... follow the wire from the hood popper lever, you should see it goes right through the firewall.... if you drill to the right and just above it, it is a perfect place.... this was in a terrain though, im sure its probably the same.... hope this helps..... you can try to go through the same hole as the hood popper wire, but its quite small

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
addhero said:
you are most likely going to have to drill.... follow the wire from the hood popper lever, you should see it goes right through the firewall.... if you drill to the right and just above it, it is a perfect place.... this was in a terrain though, im sure its probably the same.... hope this helps..... you can try to go through the same hole as the hood popper wire, but its quite small
Thanks a lot!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts