GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've asked two mechanics and searched on line and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the question: does the Equinox have 90/10 AWD (90% to the front, 10% to the back) when not in slippery conditions, or is it 100% to the front axle until you need the power to the rear axle?

I'd also like to know if anyone has seen any reports of how the AWD Nox has done on the "roller ramp" test? (This is a ramp with rollers to simulate the front tires being on ice to see if the system will direct enough power to the back tires to get the vehicle moving -- many AWD and so-called 4WD vehicles have failed this test).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Equinox AWD: 90/10 or 100/0?

I was interested in this as well, before I got my Terrain, and found this helpful post....

jbsails said:
I have been looking for the front/rear power ratio info on the AWD model of the Terrain for a while. The dealer couldn't tell me and when I ask GMC directly they had some trouble locating the info. After two week they finally found an answer for me and I thought other people would be interested in the response.

This is copied directly from the email they sent me:

Greetings from GMC customer Assistance Center!

I am very sorry for the delay in providing answer to your inquiry. Here is the information that I was able to gather.

Torque split - torque delivery to the rear is constantly changing in response to driver input, vehicle state and traction available. For example:
• On a high coefficient wide open throttle launch, 20 to 50 percent of the torque will be sent to the rear wheels to eliminate front wheel spin and maximize vehicle acceleration. Changes with vehicle speed.
• Front tires on glare ice, rear tires on high coefficient, 100 percent of torque will be delivered to the rear and reacted by tires there
• Steady state road load at highway speeds – essentially 0 torque to rear for reduced drag
• Low coefficient surfaces – wheel slip input is a large part of torque distribution calculation. 0 to 100 percent rear depending on where traction is highest

We hope the information inscribed through these sights would aid you in your search and we wish you good luck with your future endeavors.

Again, thank you for contacting General Motors.

Sincerely,

The General Motors Consumer Support Team

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Do you know if the Nox has ever been tested on the "roller ramp"?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Equinox AWD: 90/10 or 100/0?

Blur said:
I was interested in this as well, before I got my Terrain, and found this helpful post....
Great stuff I have 2012 AWD on order.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ok so that answers that distribution front to rear but how about side to side
For example let's say that the driver side front and rear tires are on a surface with no traction and the passenger side front and rear are on a surface that has traction and all of this is while you are on a uphill slope will you be able to move forward or will you be sliding downhill.
I ask this because I got myself in a situation that the front passenger and rear driver side tires had grip while the drivers front and the passenger rear didn't and I was going nowhere.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
darkside said:
For example let's say that the driver side front and rear tires are on a surface with no traction and the passenger side front and rear are on a surface that has traction and all of this is while you are on a uphill slope will you be able to move forward or will you be sliding downhill.
I ask this because I got myself in a situation that the front passenger and rear driver side tires had grip while the drivers front and the passenger rear didn't and I was going nowhere.
Sounds like you answered that question yourself, right ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
darkside said:
Only the SRX has the left / right split.

My parent's have an '11 and it's a nice truck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What your asking about seems like a form of torque vectoring. I would think it would only come on higher end models like the SRX. Acura is touting it up on most of their vehicles as Super Handling All Wheel Drive.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
Ok, I've asked two mechanics and searched on line and I can't seem to find a definitive answer to the question: does the Equinox have 90/10 AWD (90% to the front, 10% to the back) when not in slippery conditions, or is it 100% to the front axle until you need the power to the rear axle?

I'd also like to know if anyone has seen any reports of how the AWD Nox has done on the "roller ramp" test? (This is a ramp with rollers to simulate the front tires being on ice to see if the system will direct enough power to the back tires to get the vehicle moving -- many AWD and so-called 4WD vehicles have failed this test).
I would like to look into this for you. I will need the last eight of your VIN to do so. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts