GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to the forum. We are considering a 2011 or 2012 Equinox. Test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder. Leaning towards the 4 but would like to hear from 4 owners on whether they regret purchasing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Re: Equinox 4 cylinder

I have had my 4 cyl for about 3 months and i don't regret it a bit. Unless you're towing heavy or plan on scaling a mountain with it, the 4 has more than enough pep IMO.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
hyperman said:
Hi

I am new to the forum. We are considering a 2011 or 2012 Equinox. Test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder. Leaning towards the 4 but would like to hear from 4 owners on whether they regret purchasing it.

Thanks
I have the V6 but I think most but not all here on the forum are satisfied with the 4. Just don't expect the inflated MPG claims on the sticker.

My 2WD V6 averages 18.4 overall with very little highway driving. I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've always had cars with power (my last two were a V6 Grand Prix and V6 Malibu, both with the largest engines possible) and was really worried about a 4 cylinder when I bought my Nox, but I wanted something AWD and easy on gas. Those other cars saved my butt more times than I wanted to think about in PA traffic (we have short on ramps and crazy drivers and having a car with power was a good way to stay out of trouble).

My Nox doesn't have the get up and go the other two did, but it has plenty to make driving in PA traffic "safe". I was merging the other day when some idiot changed lanes, and the Nox did not disappoint when I needed to get out of the way; I floored it and off it went.

The only place I have really noticed an issue is when I merge onto the turnpike at a fairly serious uphill grade. I can get the Nox up to 65 before the onramp ends, but it really labors doing it (and probably eats a lot of gas too). It's a little more difficult to 'set my speed to successfully merge' at this onramp than it was with my other cars, but it's doable.

Before I bought my Nox, I test drove one in the mountains to see how it was going to handle. I had test driven a 4 cylinder Malibu before I bought my 2009 V6 Boo, and it was terrible; it down shifted all the time and I wasn't going to buy the Nox if it did the same. The Nox did fine, even in ECO mode.

I love my Nox (this from a V6 person). I have zero regrets about buying it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I had the 2011 I4 terrain (same).. granted i had issues with it, but I found the power to be fine..It was a loud engine when giving it gas, but it usually had the power to get up and go.

I traded that for the V6. I really like the power of the V6 much more..Its quiet, dont have to put it to the floor to get going quickly..feels much smoother..

I drive it for work, so Im in the car all day.. I wish i would have gotten the V6 in the first place..

I got 19-20 mpg on the I4

Im getting 18-19 on the V6..

both AWD....

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the I4 and hate it. I have the AWD model and it is way under powered. I am getting horrible MPG's. I just drove from MI to AR 65-72 mph during the night with little or no wind and am averaging 20-21 mpg! My Trailblazer V6 averaged 22 mpg. Go to Fuelly.com and check out what others are getting for MPG's. Edmunds and consumer reports also has some good info and reviews.

·
Registered
949 Posts
4 cyl is great, but get the 2012 if you want the 4 cyl. Avoid 2011 4 cyl's like the plague. This is coming from someone that has been having problems with their 2011 4 cyl since the second month of ownership.

So far, we think that they fixed the issues for the 2012 model year. But if it's a 2011, don't think that you'll be saving a little dough by getting the older model year, you'll most likely pay for it later. Get the 2012.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been disappointed by performance of the 2012 I4.
My last three cars have been V6 and have yet to be disappointed by the power vs fuel efficiency.

I vote for V6. Its $1,500 MSRP upgrade on LT and LTZ. Well worth it IMHO. Chose v6 if you: like power, need to tow, drive on freeways and need the power to pass others getting on/off the freeway.

Jcarm75

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
NODES said:
I got the 2012 AWD 4 banger, averaging 27 MPG in the City.
Thats amazing!! on a AWD? what do you get on the highway??

·
Registered
111 Posts
hyperman said:
Hi

Thanks
Consider the terrain you are driving and what (who) you are hauling. I drive on the flatlands and the 2.4 with 180 hp is plenty of power. Heck, 30 years ago the FWD 2.5 Iron Duke with only 90 hp was good for driving the hills of PA. I say go with the 2.4 if you're not towing and driving alone. If you have a car-full of family all the time and climbing hills go for the V6.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have admittedly not driven the 6 but from what all the professional reviewers say, its not a major peppy 6cyl in the first place. To my thinking, if its not absolutely night and day difference then Id take the 4. The 4 banger is on Wards top 10 engine list and gets great mileage. I take eco off in the city as I find its hesitation quite annoying but the hwy mileage and city mileage are too good to pass up for an underperforming 6 cyl IMHO. I was getting 38mpg HWY (Canadian gallon is 20% bigger than US gallon btw) on a long road trip to Oregon and thats with 4 people and loaded to the roof liner with baggage. The 4 banger was pretty darn good on the mountainous roads without downshifting too ridiculously much and if you are actually a good driver and dont falsely rely on an overabundance of horsepower to make up for a lack of driving ability, it is quite good for passing as well. Gas is relatively cheap right now but when it hits 4 dollars a gallon or more this summer, Ill be glad I am in a 4 cyl. From what Ive read, theres just not a big enough leap in performance from a 4 to a 6 to justify the move. If it was a top performing 6 that you could feel in the seat of your pants or you really need the meager towing it offers then do it. otherwise, get a 4 and enjoy the savings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts