GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new to the forum. We are considering a 2011 or 2012 Equinox. Test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder. Leaning towards the 4 but would like to hear from 4 owners on whether they regret purchasing it.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
hyperman said:
Hi

I am new to the forum. We are considering a 2011 or 2012 Equinox. Test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder. Leaning towards the 4 but would like to hear from 4 owners on whether they regret purchasing it.

Thanks
Based upon problems people have been having with some of the 4 cyl. '11 models, I would buy either a 6 cyl. '11, or a 4 cyl. '12. My '10 4 cyl. has been flawless.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I gave my answer on the OP's other thread of the same question.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hyperman said:
Can you tell me what kinds of issues people have been having with the 2011 4 cylinders?
Mostly the problems are on the left and the right side of the engine but the real problems begin with everything in-between ;D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
check other threads on this site, google it, you tube it...2011 I-4 engine issues..equinox/terrain/regal....any GM vehicle with that engine may or may not experience intermittent rattling startup noise, check engine lights, stalling,low MPG.

Again, not everyone, but if you read about it...you will see it is an issue that GM is still ignoring..

·
Registered
673 Posts
get the 2012, redesigned engine or at least replaced the misbehaving parts from the 2010/2011 engine version.

·
Registered
949 Posts
4 cyl is great, but get the 2012 if you want the 4 cyl. Avoid 2011 4 cyl's like the plague. This is coming from someone that has been having problems with their 2011 4 cyl since the second month of ownership.

So far, we think that they fixed the issues for the 2012 model year. But if it's a 2011, don't think that you'll be saving a little dough by getting the older model year, you'll most likely pay for it later. Get the 2012.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wont be convinced that the I4 has no issues until late spring....I was the first to bring up the rattling startup noise, and that was a thread in April 2011...6 months/12k miles after I bought it...

Though, we did have alot of issues with the MPG and the smell of gas in the oil.. I havent seen anything on the 2012 I-4 with these issues..

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Valsequinox said:
Mostly the problems are on the left and the right side of the engine but the real problems begin with everything in-between ;D
And younzs talk about me.......younzs, western pa meaning you all

·
Registered
977 Posts
Test drive both .. See which one you like. I prefer a 4 cyl for the gas mileage and lower inital cost. The HP is high for a 4. When checking the mileage make sure you look at the average speed. When I fill up the tank I reset the trip and the average speed setting on the DIC. I almost always overestimate my average speed. I think to get the best gas mileage you average speed has to be pretty high. The best I have gotton was 28.5 in a loaded Nox with the AC on going to the beach. In June we'll make a haul from lower NY to Niagra Falls Canada and we'll see how the mileage is on a real long haul

·
Registered
161 Posts
RNOX said:
Test drive both .. See which one you like. I prefer a 4 cyl for the gas mileage and lower inital cost. The HP is high for a 4. When checking the mileage make sure you look at the average speed. When I fill up the tank I reset the trip and the average speed setting on the DIC. I almost always overestimate my average speed.
Me too, most of my driving has been during the summer at our summer place. Mileage was ok, not spectactular, but ok. Now that we are home for the winter, I checked today and my avg MPH was 16 and my MPG was 19. This summer my MPH was in the 30 or 40s and the MPG correspondingly higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 2011 model 4 cyl in August and am well pleased with it. The only issues I had were noise at startup and weird gear shifting but these problems were all resolved in November when I recieved a recall notice. Recall 11195 addressed the reprogamming of the ECM, replace camshaft, Pos. acutator solenoid valves, etc. and the car has been flawless ever since. Intown mileage is about 24 and on a recent trip to Washington D.C. I got 30.5 for the entire roundtrip up and down I-95. I have no regrets about buing the Equinox and it's a good bang for the buck. Quiet engine for a 4 cyl., comfortable, good sound system. etc. Just remember you're buying a mass produced car and not a James Bond Aston Martin.

Laurence

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have the 12' I4, no complaints yet, dash Avg mpg indicated 30.7 for my 80 mile city/hwy commute, gas gauge barely moved.
This is why I chose the I4, hope I made the right choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts