GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with my Equinox 2019 Red Edition Motor 2.0L after install a used Amplifier (MPX 450 watts) and a small subwoofer (Kicker sub 150w), I feel like the car is loosing power at soon the power cable is connected to the battery. Any ideas how to fix that?
I see that there is 2 sensor connected to the positive and negative ports on the battery, doesn't know if that is affecting.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I see that there is 2 sensor connected to the positive and negative ports on the battery, doesn't know if that is affecting.
I have a round, black Current Sensor attached to my negative battery cable on my 2014 Equinox.
This is an imput to the ECM and tells it how much volts/amps the alternator is putting out.
Because the alternator does not have a separate voltage regulator, this is used to tell the alternator to charge the battery a little or go wide open.
I do not have anything on the positive cable.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
thinking out loud----
the computers control alternator output based on battery charge condition and load.
If no load- then alternator does not charge-- if plenty of load- the computer commands the alternator to put out more..
So they do this for emissions/MPG purposes.
If you dont need alternator output- then its essentially turned off--- this removes the alternator load on the engine. yes- its takes gas energy to turn the alternator.

So, Im wondering if the new added devices, are pulling enough- that the computer is commanding the alternator to FULL output... meaning it becomes a significant load on the engine at idle... and you can see the engine struggle at idle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
like the car is loosing power at soon the power cable is connected to the battery
Like losing horsepower or losing voltage?
Is the amp getting hot or are you blowing fuses or anything? It's typical on a loud system for headlights to dim ECT when bass hits. If your battery has a low charge you would definitely notice a strain on the electrical system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like losing horsepower or losing voltage?
Is the amp getting hot or are you blowing fuses or anything? It's typical on a loud system for headlights to dim ECT when bass hits. If your battery has a low charge you would definitely notice a strain on the electrical system.
Is losing horsepower....

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don't have a '19, but that can't be right on the negative post can it, that tiny wire for a negative ground cable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found this:

Many modern cars have a battery current sensor. It might also be called a battery management or monitor sensor, or simply battery sensor. Typically, a battery sensor is installed on the negative battery terminal or on the cable.
Battery current sensor
Ford battery monitor sensor

In some cars, it might be installed on the positive terminal. Some cars have two sensors, one on each terminal.

How the battery sensor works: it measures the current to and from the battery. It may also monitor the voltage, state of charge and state of health of the battery (aging). In some cars, it even measures the temperature of the battery.

The vehicle computer (BCM or PCM) uses these inputs to precisely adjust the charging system voltage, idle speed and other parameters for better fuel efficiency and longer battery life

Any ideas how to bypass the batterie sensors?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I really don't think you should go down that path.
Likely to cause more problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts