GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 300km on my Terrain and i have a whining noise from the motor compartment. It sounds like an electric motor when i'm driving.

Have any clue if this is normal or if i should take it to the dealer ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is it possible you're hearing the A/C / Radiator cooling fan. I know mine sounds high pitched when it's running.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jimmy-b said:
Is it possible you're hearing the A/C / Radiator cooling fan. I know mine sounds high pitched when it's running.
Thanks for answering but i don't think it's the fan. The sound is synced to the motor rpm.

It makes me think that this is the power steering pump or the alternator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Thanks for answering but i don't think it's the fan. The sound is synced to the motor rpm.

It makes me think that this is the power steering pump or the alternator.
I'd say check your power steering fluid level.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I have about 300km on my Terrain and i have a whining noise from the motor compartment[/color]. It sounds like an electric motor when i'm driving.

Have any clue if this is normal or if i should take it to the dealer ?
I haven't seen the wife in a while...

hahahaha!

J/K, seriously, take it to the Dealer and take a Technician for a spin.
Nip it in the bud with only 300km on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Definitely check your power steering. We've had multiple power steering failures on our Terrain already.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you mobius, i'm going tomorrow morning

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having the same issue. A faint whining noise and when I turn the wheel at a standstill it seems that the pump is working harder than it should be.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gone to the dealer this morning and have him hear the problem and after we have gone to the lot and we've tried another V6 model and we've heard the same sound... So i think this is "normal"... But i'm thinking also that this is the power steering pump that is working a way too hard... If the pump is too filmsy they will have to make a recall and replace... between time it is working so it is not a big problem for us...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I guess I could have asked how loud the whining is. Our Terrain's PS pump makes a very quiet whining sound all of the time, with proper fluid levels etc. When we had a leak (low fluid level), or when the pump itself failed, the sound was very noticeable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will keep an eye on it :) Thank you for all your posts !

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also, it could be the alt. Its a variable rate unit and it could be "on" when you are hearing the whining.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always hear the sound. I will go back again to the dealer to have them try the car... it is not normal for a car like that to have a sound like that... i found it to be very loud...Driving windows closed i hear it very clearly. I would say from 1000rpm to 2000~2500...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi onyx, i'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning and i would like to know if you can give me more informations about the "some tweaks". Thay don't seem to be aware of this "problem".

Thank you very much. I will print out your post for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had this same problem-whining noise- the dealer contacted GM engineering dept and repaired by installing a restrictor on the return line of the power steering pump. This solved the high pitched whine. Hope this helps.

V6 SLT-1, Quicksilver-Jet Black

·
Registered
31 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Hi onyx, i'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning and i would like to know if you can give me more informations about the "some tweaks". Thay don't seem to be aware of this "problem".

Thank you very much. I will print out your post for them.
Sorry for the delayed response, they basically replaced the return hose and pressure hose for the power steering and that took care of it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update : my dealer ordered the restrictor and it should be installed in approx 7 days... time to get the part...

I will follow up...

:)

Thank everyone for the clues... my dealer was not able to find the solution alone.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They got the part in... Appointment on June 15th. Will follow up after that :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts