GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up my new 2011 slt-2 awd v6 and was searching around this forum and found a couple close subjects, but none the same

Just wondering if anyone else with this drivetrain combo is experiencing engine whine that is synced to the rpms and that starts getting very noticible from 2700 rpms on up. Took a tech for a spin and he "could definately hear it" but told me it was normal for the 3.6 to whine like that. I then told him I was pretty certain it was a 3.0 and he pretty much gave the, oh that engine too.

I can hear the ticking from the direct injectors, and am pretty comfortable identifying normal engine sounds, but against the tech's best guess, i dont think this noise is normal. We checked the power steering fluid when we returned but it was fine. any ideas?

·
Registered
441 Posts
brand new? like havent changed the oil yet new?

if so, wait a couple thousand miles.....

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Re: Engine Whine

Having owned both FWD and AWD Terrains the AWD definitely has more of a whine than front wheel only. Kind of a buzz sound. There's a driveshaft spinning down there and its bound to make some noise.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a V6 AWD and it has a distinct whine at those RPMs....hasn't blown up yet!

·
Registered
306 Posts
You have 5 years/100,000 miles. Drive it and enjoy it. If somethings wrong, it'll get worse and the problem will be identified clearly and repaired! Until then--ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the car is only two weeks old and has about 800 miles on it, so its pretty new still. I did see that other post in my searching but that sounds like more of a squeal and mine is a whine. Also the squeal is happening at a lower rpm then mine. Ive had a jeep grand cherokee and it never made this noise.

I guess when i go to the dealership to pick up my plates ill see if they will let me drive another similar model to see if it has the same whine. I just feel like a new car shouldnt be making this noise. It sounds like a supercharger, or a low fluid transmission... Thanks for the responses guys

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
noempire01 said:
Hey guys just picked up my new 2011 slt-2 awd v6 and was searching around this forum and found a couple close subjects, but none the same

Just wondering if anyone else with this drivetrain combo is experiencing engine whine that is synced to the rpms and that starts getting very noticible from 2700 rpms on up. Took a tech for a spin and he "could definately hear it" but told me it was normal for the 3.6 to whine like that. I then told him I was pretty certain it was a 3.0 and he pretty much gave the, oh that engine too.

I can hear the ticking from the direct injectors, and am pretty comfortable identifying normal engine sounds, but against the tech's best guess, i dont think this noise is normal. We checked the power steering fluid when we returned but it was fine. any ideas?
I would recommend keeping a close eye on it and contacting the dealership back right away if you are finding that you are having any related problems. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link i never saw that one in my search. As these things go, there really is no problem with the car, just the noise, which im sure is preceding whatever is coming, because its just too loud to be nothing. I will keep an eye on it as suggested, and ill let you all know if anything comes of it. Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
830 Posts
After about 6 visits to the dealer... they seems to be unable to fix a "normal" problem...

All car with that v6 engine make that sound... my 2010 Terrain... 2011 Terrain... 2011 Lacrosse...

It's not fun to drive at all with that sound... but they can't do anything.

Bad misconception problem.

GM Engineers are propably all hearing-impaired....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Discouraging... At least i know its not just me. It was hard enough trading in my gto for the terrain, but its time to grow up i suppose

·
Registered
432 Posts
i guess it depends on the vehicle. My 2004 Monte Carlo SS whined all the time, and i LOVED it. that whine was good for about 145hp :p

The only engine noise i have found on my I4 SLE2 is that strange rattle ish sound from 1500-2000 rpm. But they way it sounds it sounds more like a heat shield somewhere. Has that noise been figured out yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok test drove another v6 awd and it whined just the same. Just wanted to let u guys know that apparently, it is normal :(

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Waiti until your first oil change (about 2k on a new engine)....use synth oil, and if it still whines like it does now then you may have an issue. If you're coming from driving a V8, then a V6 or 4cyl is going to take some getting used to...sound and otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Test driving Equinox and Terrain. Dealer had a 2011 Terrain with 14000 kms on it, said it was a trade-in by a lottery winner???
Anyway it has a steady whine that changes tone with the rpm. Service manager listened and said it was the power steering pump and that they would repair it before I purchased it. Wonder how many I may have to change?
Had a Ford Windstar that whined continuously and it drove me nuts. I live in Canada in cold weather climate.
What temperatures do other posters live in, is it a cold weather thing or always?
Appreciate your replies.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
4cyl's buzz like angry bees, V6's whine like banshees and V8's growl like a bear.....just the way it is. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
buickanddeere said:
The whining in my became quieter after making the wife ride in the back seat.
lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts