GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 Terrain last week after trading a 2010 Terrain that I had for 1.5yrs had no issues with the 2010 but this 2011 terrain seems to be driving funny. It feels like it hesitates to go into gears like it holds back and also when letting up on the gas pedal it feels like a sharp kick back. Anyone have this same problem if so have you found out what is causing it? Thank you!

I have a SLE 2 FWD V6

·
Registered
698 Posts
You should post information regarding your specific vehicle... especially engine/drivetrain combination.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? I can also look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and the name of the dealership that you are working with via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Electronic throttle may be a part (but not all) of your problem. Since there is no physical cable connecting the engine there is a bit of a delay. There are a lot of electronics between your foot and the output of the engine. My Equinox doesn't shift until around 5 rpms or so. I thought that was wierd, but that's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took my terrain to the dealership they are saying they changed the transmission from the 2010 yr. I found that pretty strange they would change that already since 2010 was the first yr for the terrain. Also does anyone have the flex fuel? Even though I can't get flex fuel here would that still make the car drive differently cause it does not drive as smoothly as my first terrain. If I could get rid of this thing I would in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sthomas said:
I took my terrain to the dealership they are saying they changed the transmission from the 2010 yr. I found that pretty strange they would change that already since 2010 was the first yr for the terrain. Also does anyone have the flex fuel? Even though I can't get flex fuel here would that still make the car drive differently cause it does not drive as smoothly as my first terrain. If I could get rid of this thing I would in a heartbeat.
The transmission is the same..the programming could be different (but GM tranny programming has SUCKED for the past few years anyways, so I doubt its different by much...Every possible car review states this, they need to get with the "program" and learn something...its a shame they carried over this craptastic Tranny programing program to the Cruze, I think in the latest review it was 6th (DEAD LAST) all because of its crappy tranny program)...

I do find it funny that the 6T70/6T75E are extremely similar to the Ford 6F (designed by same team, manufactured in same plant...roughly same tranny other then ratings)...You drive a 6F and its a nice setup, you drive a 6T70, and its laughable in difference (constant gear searching comes to mind).

Are we comparing applies when you talk about your other Terrain? Was it an I4 or V6?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I felt that the shifting was kind of stiff and choppy when we first got our new Terrain, but after a few thousand miles it has smoothed out a lot. I may be wrong, but I attributed it to the tightness of a new vehicle. Now that it's got some miles on it, it seems okay.

·
Registered
157 Posts
grometsc said:
I do find it funny that the 6T70/6T75E are extremely similar to the Ford 6F (designed by same team, manufactured in same plant...roughly same tranny other then ratings)...You drive a 6F and its a nice setup, you drive a 6T70, and its laughable in difference (constant gear searching comes to mind).
The GM and Ford version of the 6T70 were designed by GM with input from Ford. They share some of the same suplliers. GM builds the 6T70 in Warren, MI and Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Ford builds it in Livonia I believe. The programming and calibration is done by each manufacturer respectively.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grometsc said:
The transmission is the same..the programming could be different (but GM tranny programming has SUCKED for the past few years anyways, so I doubt its different by much...Every possible car review states this, they need to get with the "program" and learn something...its a shame they carried over this craptastic Tranny programing program to the Cruze, I think in the latest review it was 6th (DEAD LAST) all because of its crappy tranny program)...

Are we comparing applies when you talk about your other Terrain? Was it an I4 or V6?
Both of my Terrains were V6 but my 2nd one doesn't drive as smoothly and I'm not to happy at this point. I have another question could traction control play a role in how the vehicle would shift into gears and should it only be used during bad road conditions? Because mine was on and I turned it off and I might have noticed a difference in the shifting or maybe I'm hoping I did... :D Thanks

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
sthomas said:
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle and your current mileage. Feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
sthomas said:
Both of my Terrains were V6 but my 2nd one doesn't drive as smoothly and I'm not to happy at this point. I have another question could traction control play a role in how the vehicle would shift into gears and should it only be used during bad road conditions? Because mine was on and I turned it off and I might have noticed a difference in the shifting or maybe I'm hoping I did... :D Thanks
That's quite interesting. In your case they were different years, right? I've had two 2010s and my AWD one had a terrible transmission... it seemed to shift at all the wrong times. My FWD has a much improved shift map.

Doubt that turning TC off would affect the shift mapping... maybe under heavy throttle take-off, although then I believe the computer cuts engine power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terrain said:
That's quite interesting. In your case they were different years, right? I've had two 2010s and my AWD one had a terrible transmission... it seemed to shift at all the wrong times. My FWD has a much improved shift map.

Doubt that turning TC off would affect the shift mapping... maybe under heavy throttle take-off, although then I believe the computer cuts engine power.
Well I'm not quite sure what's going on and why the two drive so differently my 1st terrain was 2010 and now I have 2011 since they were both V6 the only difference in the two my 2nd Terrain has the flex fuel option even though I'm still just running regular gas cause there's no place to get the flex fuel here but would that make difference? I'm sure something has to be different in order to run that gas but not sure if would affect the way it shifts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've had a few issues here and there. Like bucking and this weird down shift where the car "bounces" on downshifts. Now I've been hearing this whine in 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
grometsc said:

I don't think it's because GM doesn't have anyone in-house that can program trannies...it's more about the numbers/marketing game. What I mean is that the transmissions on all of GM's "fuel efficient" vehicles are programmed to race up to 6th gear as fast as possible to get the highest EPA rating they can. The good thing is that modern transmissions that are controlled electronically also "learn" your driving style after a while and can become more responsive.

·
Registered
315 Posts
sthomas said:
Well I'm not quite sure what's going on and why the two drive so differently my 1st terrain was 2010 and now I have 2011 since they were both V6 the only difference in the two my 2nd Terrain has the flex fuel option even though I'm still just running regular gas cause there's no place to get the flex fuel here but would that make difference? I'm sure something has to be different in order to run that gas but not sure if would affect the way it shifts.
Nothing different other then the tranny might still need some "break-in"...Just mention your complaints to the dealer, and see if they can fix this for you.

THe "bucking" most are feeling I believe is the PCM's attempt to keep rpms up while it coast with no throttle applied, when the engine goes into deacceleration, it cuts off the fuel (DFCO). GM just has not been able to get this programmed to be less noticeable like other car makers. Its been on all gDI engines I have owned from GM (cobalt ss had it, and both nox's have this, just one is more noticeable then the other)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I experience the same on my 2011 Equinox with with 2.4L I-4 and FWD. Just as you stated...If I lighten my foot on the accelerator even slightly the transmission is very quick to downshift and slow down, to the point that I almost need to floor it to make it upshift back where it should be. The downshift isn't so noticeable that it actually causes me to move in my seat, but is enough that it makes itself clear and gets annoying after a while. Unfortunately I think it's just the nature of the vehicle direct injected engine and GM messing with the shift points in order to boost those EPA estimates all they can.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As most here know, my Equinox was bought back and I purchased another one without giving it much thought as besides the popcorn sound the engine made, I otherwise liked it. I only have a little over 1000 miles on it and it has been quiet at startup so I'm happy for that. But now I am having a diferent problem. Several times in the last couple of weeks when accelerating from a dead stop, the tranny acts as though it doesn't want to up shift. I drive soft footed as I'm trying to squeeze every mile out of the gas so I don't accelerate hard at all. It seems that the tach is going to about 3700 rpms and still doesnt want to up shift without a little coaxing. When I remove my foot from the gas pedal it almost immediately starts to down shift to a point that it feels like it has the brakes applied. Twice this week, when accelerating from a dead stop there is a severe shudder and the tranny seems to slam into 3rd, then to second and then back to third again. It is actually quite violent but I can't duplicate it no matter how hard I try. As I said, it has only happened twice in a week.
I hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem as My dealer is 100 miles away, and with the problems not being duplicable, it would be a total waste of time, money and energy to take it there for nothing.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
nox-rocks said:
As most here know, my Equinox was bought back and I purchased another one without giving it much thought as besides the popcorn sound the engine made, I otherwise liked it. I only have a little over 1000 miles on it and it has been quiet at startup so I'm happy for that. But now I am having a diferent problem. Several times in the last couple of weeks when accelerating from a dead stop, the tranny acts as though it doesn't want to up shift. I drive soft footed as I'm trying to squeeze every mile out of the gas so I don't accelerate hard at all. It seems that the tach is going to about 3700 rpms and still doesnt want to up shift without a little coaxing. When I remove my foot from the gas pedal it almost immediately starts to down shift to a point that it feels like it has the brakes applied. Twice this week, when accelerating from a dead stop there is a severe shudder and the tranny seems to slam into 3rd, then to second and then back to third again. It is actually quite violent but I can't duplicate it no matter how hard I try. As I said, it has only happened twice in a week.
I hope this is not going to be an ongoing problem as My dealer is 100 miles away, and with the problems not being duplicable, it would be a total waste of time, money and energy to take it there for nothing.
I would recommend that you continue to keep an eye on this concern. If it seems to be getting worse, I would recommend that you contact your local dealer. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having what seems to be the same types of problems. 2011 SLE2 with V6, FWD. I find that in the lower gears it appears to not want to shift, or else it will shift up, then jerk down, then jerk up again as I continue to press the gas steadily. And sometimes if I let up the gas (car in front slowing down) and then push it again, it just doesn't want to go and I have to ease up and push again maybe more than once. Often when I push the second time it shifts into what I call "passing" and then goes back. I have also found that sometimes if I make a left turn from a stop, and need to move into traffic, it just sits there and looks at me and I have to let up and hit it again. Really scary when you are trying to move into traffic and the person behind you is close! I took it in and complained about all of this, but was told after they kept it and a tech took it home at night, that I just needed to get used to the 6 speed. Of course they couldn't duplicate it and all the readings were fine. Well, it's now over 6 months and 7000 miles and it is getting worse. Last week I made my daily left turn into traffic and it kept grabbing and then slowing about 4 times before it finally grabbed for good. It is mainly in the lower 3 gears and I'm just not sure if it is all transmission or if there is some fuel injection problem in there as well. I will have to take it back but I bought it close to my work and last Friday I lost my job, so it is going to be a pain to deal with it. I spent a huge amount of time choosing this car and am getting rather frustrated with it. I also paid extra for the V6 because I didn't like the hesitation on the V4 and am still having to deal with it.

Starting to wonder if I shouldn't have just gone with the Santa Fe.......

·
Registered
222 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would recommend that you continue to keep an eye on this concern. If it seems to be getting worse, I would recommend that you contact your local dealer. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

I am taking it to the dealer Thursday. I was told there was an opne recall for an update for the ECM. We will try that first and see what happens. If that doesn't work he is prepared to dig deeper.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts