GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 awd that needs replacement. Can I put in a 2013 3.6? If so what will I need to do? If not are there any different engines I can use without changing transmission.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
If you do a search on the forum you will find very little information on a 4cyl to 3.6L engine swap.
About once a month somebody will ask if it is possible.
Of course it is, but as you start getting into it you will see the amount of work and cost is not economically feasible.

Either buy a good used one, or a wreck hit in the rear for all the parts to use on yours.
As for your question, in 2010 there were only two engines available.
The 2.4L four cyl or the 3.0L V-6, each one uses it's own transmission.

Reactions: stopwatch

·
Registered
92 Posts
About once a month somebody will ask if it is possible.
Of course it is, but as you start getting into it you will see the amount of work and cost is not economically feasible.
I completely agree. So much other than the engine would need to be swapped. The work and costs to do a V6 swap would be crazy.

The 2010 uses a laf engine u need the same engine not the lea that comes in the later models.
Yes, but you can swap the parts from the old 2.4l LAF engine into a newer 2.4l LEA engine to make it work. At this time ( 10+ years later ) it is very difficult to find a good used engine. (you might have to look at a rebuilt engine) However you can find a good used 2.4l LEA , the 2014 - 2017 model year engines would be a good choice.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Funny, you NEVER hear of anyone wanting to pull out a 3.6L V-6 and replace it with a 2.4L 4 cyl.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, but you can swap the parts from the old 2.4l LAF engine into a newer 2.4l LEA engine to make it work. At this time ( 10+ years later ) it is very difficult to find a good used engine. (you might have to look at a rebuilt engine) However you can find a good used 2.4l LEA , the 2014 - 2017 model year engines would be a good choice.
You can find 2.4L ecotec engines on both ebay and car-part.com but they typically start around the $2000 not remanufactured and go up from there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2010 awd that needs replacement. Can I put in a 2013 3.6? If so what will I need to do? If not are there any different engines I can use without changing transmission.
This isn't like swapping a 3.8L V6 with a 5.7L V8 back in 1979. On top of all the engine mounts, exhaust, and harnesses you'll have to change, you'll have to get a new ECU and maybe a new BCM, and at a minimum, have them programmed by a dealer so the anti-theft system allows the new ECU to run the engine. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts