GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Engine stall on cold start

29K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Michy 
#1 ·
2012 Terrain 2.4 L with 103k miles. Engine stalls on cold start but then starts right up. Stalled a few times driving to work. Seems like transmission doesn’t want to shift out at times. No codes thrown. Have already serviced transmission, cleaned throttle body, changed cam shaft solenoid, doesn’t burn oil. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Besides a clean air filter (rarely the problem) and good plugs, I guess I’d be looking at fuel delivery/pressure. These things have two pumps. Do you have an OBD-2 reader with data logging capability? Maybe that could show fuel pressure sporadically dropping out (or too low)?

Reactions: bigb12359
#3 ·
A family member had a 2013 Equinox 2LT FWD with the 2.4L engine. The high pressure fuel pump failed at 31,xxx miles. It caused rough idle and stalling, and dumped raw fuel into the engine crankcase. The fuel caused the oil level to rise about one-inch higher above the full mark on the engine oil dipstick. Keep an eye on the oil level - to see if it is increasing. The raw fuel will quickly damage the engine.

#5 ·
With scan tool see what engine temp. is seen by PCM when cold. Both engine and inlet temps. . Warmer reading than actual will cause lean stalls until engine warms up and sensors may not be off far enough to set codes.

#7 ·
Followed all advice and still stalling. This started when GMC had a recall on the high pressure pump and took it in to be replaced. Oil level is normal but has been extremely black since replaced. When starting the engine and the rpm idle up, then drop back down, unless you tap the gas pedal, the rpm’s fall all the way until it dies. Then starts right back up, no problem.

#12 ·
I know that with mine it is only after is sits overnight. Don't know if it is a temp issue or not. Seems to be only about half the time other than that that it stalls. I have now tried the purge valve, only after a ton of other work. Spark plugs, full exhaust, both variable timing valves, replaced one bad injector and cleaned others, tested fuel pressure and replaced both pressure sensors, cleaned throttle body and replace MAF sensor, new intake and throttle body gaskets. I am to the point that I am just waiting for it to go away or blow up, but if anyone has any more ideas I would love to hear them.

#13 ·
Engine temp sensor ? Might be erratic. If it sends a warm engine temp. to PCM it will not make fuel rich enough for cold starts.

#15 ·
Secondary air injection system under the intake manifold. Sometimes mine goes off when I start the car, to test pump brakes till hard then start car.... Air pump should activate its just a 12v pump motor. Pretty sure it sucks excessive pressure from intake during situations where positive pressure can build causing a stall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.