GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Is the 2.4, 4cyl. motor adequate for th Terrain.

• 2.4, 4 cyl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.0 6 cyl.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
There is already a poll on this topic. No need to start it again.... check the other one and you'll see why...

·
Registered
441 Posts
you ask a yes/no question then give two engine sizes.....ummm....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It all depends on the way you will be using the Terrain most of the time. Towing or no towing? Need AWD or is 2WD sufficient? And even if you live in a warmer climate and don't plan on any towing, the V6 vs 4cyl thing often comes down to personal preference...such as a little more smoothness and slightly lower accelration times versus class leading rated highway mileage. To answer your original question: yes it CAN be adequate (it isn't a wheezbox) but it all depends on the things I already mentioned.

·
Registered
977 Posts
182 HP is pretty high for a 4 cyl. The acceleration is fine. You should test drive each version of engine

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RNOX said:
182 HP is pretty high for a 4 cyl. The acceleration is fine. You should test drive each version of engine
To put it in perspective, the 3.4l V6 in the first gen Equinox put out 185hp and not a great deal more torque than the current 4cyl.

·
Registered
441 Posts
NoobNox said:
To put it in perspective, the 3.4l V6 in the first gen Equinox put out 185hp and not a great deal more torque than the current 4cyl.
38ft-lbs difference; i would call that a good deal more....especially when it comes to towing.... 172 versus 210

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
gar187er said:
38ft-lbs difference; i would call that a good deal more....especially when it comes to towing.... 172 versus 210
I was thinking more along the lines of acceleration. Even though the I4 is rated for towing a small amount...I still wouldn't do it. (maybe one dirtbike or a jetski, but nothing else)

·
Registered
239 Posts
NoobNox said:
Umm.. the old 3.4 put out more torque at idle then the the new 2.4L I4 does at it's peak.
The new engine is great for an I4, but it really needs to be reved to get to where that power is available, the 3.4 was a grunt engine that pulled hard down low and then ran out of wind above about 5000 rpm, the new I4 only really comes alive when you get it above 4200rpm.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
GMCdriver said:
Umm.. the old 3.4 put out more torque at idle then the the new 2.4L I4 does at it's peak.
While I don't have the data, I really would have to call BS on that statement. Prove me wrong, please.

·
Registered
239 Posts
RIT333 said:
While I don't have the data, I really would have to call BS on that statement. Prove me wrong, please.
Lucky I do have the data.
Why is it that the people who have no idea what they are talking about always pass the burden of proof on to those of us who do? ;)
My use of the term 'at idle' is a bit sarcastic because they don't ever really measure power output from engines at the modern 'low idle' settings they have now but from where they start to take measurements, above about 1000rpm... well take a look for yourself.

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2010/gmna/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2010%20Ecotec%2024L%20LAF%20Equinox%20SAE.pdf

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/HPT%20Library/China/2009_34L_LNJ_Equinox.pdf

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
woah!... youre right....
interesting.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
GMCdriver said:
Lucky I do have the data.
Why is it that the people who have no idea what they are talking about always pass the burden of proof on to those of us who do? ;)
My use of the term 'at idle' is a bit sarcastic because they don't ever really measure power output from engines at the modern 'low idle' settings they have now but from where they start to take measurements, above about 1000rpm... well take a look for yourself.
Thank you for the two charts. I do find that very surprising. I had read that the 3.4 had a flat torque curve, but didn't realize it was that flat.

As far as your statement about passing the burden... I tried to do some google-research about your statement and came up dry, hence my desire to see your data. Sorry that you feel I have no idea what I am talking about. I'm glad that you were not my boss at work !

By the way, the 1000 rpm is close enough to "at idle" for my purpose. We'll make it be ...at cold idle... !

Thanks again for setting me straight.

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
If you want to see a real flat one, then you should see my .... just kidding honey !

Based upon your file structure depth, you have access to mucho data on GM, huh ? Care to comment on your occupation ? Sorry for challenging your statement. (FWIW, I have tons of data on Electricity Power Generation Equipment around the World - possibly second to no one !)

·
Registered
239 Posts
RIT333 said:
If you want to see a real flat one, then you should see my .... just kidding honey !

Based upon your file structure depth, you have access to mucho data on GM, huh ? Care to comment on your occupation ? Sorry for challenging your statement. (FWIW, I have tons of data on Electricity Power Generation Equipment around the World - possibly second to no one !)
I'm a stay at home dad, haven't worked for about 6 years now with the exception of teaching the motorcycle saftey course a few weekends & evening in the summer months. Before that I worked in various sales(electronics & vehicles) & managment jobs(call centers for banks, office supplies & auto dealerships)
All these charts come from the archives of a webiste GM set up for media to use that I first came across the site several years ago when the kids were napping for several hours per day and I had nothing but time to spend on the internet.
If I am ever looking for engine specs I just google 'GM media online powertrain" and find what I'm looking for from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GMCdriver said:
You wanna see a flat one, check this out...
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2010/gmna/HPT%20Library/Ecotec/2010%20Ecotec%2020L%20LNF%20Cobalt%20SS.pdf
You can see where the turbo spools up between 1000-1700rpm and then----> woosh.
Not to shabby for a 2.0L I4.
Wow, those lines are so straight it makes it look faked. IMO this is the 4cyl they should have put in the Equinox, or at least as an option. If this engine was available I would have skipped on buying the V6.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts