GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

looking for some better throttle response on my 2010 nox, and maybe some added power. its a tad slow :(

thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
tad slow? compared to what?

its 260hp and 220 tq

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
SSEquinox said:
Hello guys

looking for some better throttle response on my 2010 nox, and maybe some added power. its a tad slow :(

thanks
As Alex Trebeck might say, "Can you make your statement in the form of a question".

Some options: Nitrous Oxide, Turbo, K&M Intake, shed some car-weight, allow time for engine to break-in, get lighter aftermarket wheels/tires.

How many miles do you have, and what drivetrain (AWD,FWD).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Geez--and I thought i bought a race SUV! Dang, foiled again. ::)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd be careful with some engine upgrades. Could void your warranty. A llot of people are finding that out with K&N air filters

·
Registered
441 Posts
RNOX said:
I'd be careful with some engine upgrades. Could void your warranty. A llot of people are finding that out with K&N air filters
Magnuson–Moss act.....unless the dealer can prove the air filter was the direct cause of the issue at hand, they cannot deny warranty work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have quoted the act before on this forum but you don't realize how many people come into the dealer with them installed. GM even has TSB's on this.

"Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter #04-07-30-013A - (Jan 25, 2005)
Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/ Over- Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter
2005 and Prior GM Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2005 and Prior Saturn Models
2003-2005 HUMMER H2
This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and to clarify warranty coverage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessivelyover- oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter.

The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:
• Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
• Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
• Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.
If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.
Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items."

·
Registered
441 Posts
2010BlkGraniteNox said:
Trifecta Tune

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/

Its a night and day difference over the stock tune.
do you have it? i really have to question it....i know some engines arent tuned good from the factory, but a G8 (with the 3.6 which the nox sport has) only gains 4hp which cost $300 bucks....

$75 per hp gain.....be better off opening up the exhaust...

·
Registered
441 Posts
due to too much oil...yes, thats the issue......its always been a problem with k&n users....in that case, the filter did cause a problem.....

G

·
gar187er said:
do you have it? i really have to question it....i know some engines arent tuned good from the factory, but a G8 (with the 3.6 which the nox sport has) only gains 4hp which cost $300 bucks....

$75 per hp gain.....be better off opening up the exhaust...
12whp/9wtrq peaks

20wtrq improvement vs stock below 3500rpms, and throughout the rpm band. Not too mention many of the other improvements on the setup.

And yes I have it.....I tune a few people locally for trifecta, mainly LNF clubs. On a NA engine gains are hard to come by, reason I rarely will modify them....I did the tune because it needed improved. And gains speak for themselves. No other modification will increase those numbers @ wheels (not talking crank numbers here) other than extreme modifications. Some engines do not respond that well, others do. The LF1 is one that responds very nicely because GM did some certain tuning features that make no sense, to name 1 your car does not go to 100% throttle untill nearly 4k rpms, its ecu limited to 64%

G

·
RNOX said:
I have quoted the act before on this forum but you don't realize how many people come into the dealer with them installed. GM even has TSB's on this.

"Info - Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/Over-Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter #04-07-30-013A - (Jan 25, 2005)
Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On as a Result of the Use of an Excessively/ Over- Oiled Aftermarket, Reusable Air Filter
2005 and Prior GM Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2005 and Prior Saturn Models
2003-2005 HUMMER H2
This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and to clarify warranty coverage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessivelyover- oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair MAF sensors under warranty if concerns result from the use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter.

The use of an excessively/over-oiled aftermarket, reusable air filter may result in:
• Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
• Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
• Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over- oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.
The use of an aftermarket reusable air filter DOES NOT void the vehicle's warranty.
If an aftermarket reusable air filter is used, technicians should inspect the MAF sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.
Transmission or engine driveability concerns (related to the MAF sensor being contaminated with oil) that are the result of the use of an aftermarket reusable, excessively/over-oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items."
This is talking about air intake kits more than drop-in filters. I dont like K&N because they allow more dirt in, but they do not void warranty. Even your TSB states this.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The #1 thing you will gain from is an exhaust. The tin can muffler is a pretty big restriction. The actual tubing and routing is pretty freaking nice compared to past stock exhausts. Itll sound much better as well.

G

·
bballr4567 said:
The #1 thing you will gain from is an exhaust. The tin can muffler is a pretty big restriction. The actual tubing and routing is pretty freaking nice compared to past stock exhausts. Itll sound much better as well.
Exhaust equals sound....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bballr4567 said:
^^ this right here....and it won't void the warranty.

·
Registered
977 Posts
2010BlkGraniteNox said:
This is talking about air intake kits more than drop-in filters. I dont like K&N because they allow more dirt in, but they do not void warranty. Even your TSB states this.
But they see an K and N and your MAF goes bad looks like they are going to make you pay for the repair of it. I had a Kand N and took it out after I read the TSB. On other forums people had to pay for a messed up MAF if they had a K and N installed. I should have said they won't warrat the repair of the MAF.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It should be noted that a K&N will NOT cause your MAF to fail. Improper oiling of the actual filter will cause it to fail.

·
Registered
977 Posts
bballr4567 said:
It should be noted that a K&N will NOT cause your MAF to fail. Improper oiling of the actual filter will cause it to fail.
If it fails and you have a K&N inside you may have problems getting it replaced under warranty. I know it's the oil. We're getting anal here

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, speaking of exhaust, has anyone actually changed theirs out? If so, what did you do, and how did it turn out?

I've been thinking of doing this for my 3.0 as well. Mostly for performance, but also because I really dislike how the huge muffler hangs below the rear bumper. Just seems like they got lazy on the design at that point and didn't notice / didn't care how bad it looked. A small issue, I know, but attention to detail goes a long way.

Edit: I guess I should point out that I am not particularly interested in anything louder than stock. Just want to cut down the restriction and get rid of the "trash can under car" look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts