GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are on vacation for a week at Hilton Head Island, SC. Last night, we were getting ready to go out to eat and as we are trying to pull out of the parking spot, the Terrain almost stalls. Upon start up, it had the rough idle and knocking sound for a couple of seconds. It didn't stall, but the check engine light came right on. It drove fine after that, but I used Onstar to do a diagnostic. They said that it is something like the camshaft position sensor and could be caused by loose timing chain, or tensioners or something else. We need to take it in as soon as possible according to them. I drove it to the restaurant and back to hotel, but on last start up, the CEL went off. What do y'all think?

The Terrain is a 2011 SLT2 with I4 and 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Check the thread "issues with 2011 Terrain"..if you search, you will find the issue you are having is becoming common on the 2011 I-4 engine...

you probably had the code P0011. I had the same issue.. really no fix yet for it. BUT i would take it to the dealer and get started on it....again ....read the other thread..

·
Registered
246 Posts
How quickly do you put the vehicle in gear after starting the engine? When you said you were trying to pull out did you mean while idling still or in reverse?

Have you had the oil changed since you bought the car?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Strange that it's always a 2011 model when I hear of this happening. :-\ Did GM change some of the specs or parts suppliers for the Ecotec I4 between the 2010 and 2011 model?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wrusprod --> Thanks.

2011LT2 --> The car cranked ok and was fine idleing, though noisy as a lot of people have mentioned. My wife finished putting our three year old in his car seat so the vehicle had been cranked for a little while. I had originally backed into the parking spot, so I just put it in drive an attempted to apply throttle to pull out of the parking spot. When pressing the gas peddle is when it almost stalled.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
jproell2 said:
My wife and I are on vacation for a week at Hilton Head Island, SC. Last night, we were getting ready to go out to eat and as we are trying to pull out of the parking spot, the Terrain almost stalls. Upon start up, it had the rough idle and knocking sound for a couple of seconds. It didn't stall, but the check engine light came right on. It drove fine after that, but I used Onstar to do a diagnostic. They said that it is something like the camshaft position sensor and could be caused by loose timing chain, or tensioners or something else. We need to take it in as soon as possible according to them. I drove it to the restaurant and back to hotel, but on last start up, the CEL went off. What do y'all think?

The Terrain is a 2011 SLT2 with I4 and 5,000 miles.
I am glad to hear that you are planning to work with your local dealer towards resolution. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
449 Posts
jproell2 said:
wrusprod --> Thanks.

2011LT2 --> The car cranked ok and was fine idleing, though noisy as a lot of people have mentioned. My wife finished putting our three year old in his car seat so the vehicle had been cranked for a little while. I had originally backed into the parking spot, so I just put it in drive an attempted to apply throttle to pull out of the parking spot. When pressing the gas peddle is when it almost stalled.
Exactly what happened to me,start was fine no rough idleing..as soon as I shifted to reverse it stalled(twice)and the only way I could keep it going was to give it gas.Later I found it also did it in forward...after I got it going it was fine,no problems at lights at all.I have had other problems with a loud racket at start up for awhile now and will take it into the Dealer tomorrow for this stalling.My last start which was about 1 hour ago it was fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
2011LT2 said:
How quickly do you put the vehicle in gear after starting the engine? When you said you were trying to pull out did you mean while idling still or in reverse?

Have you had the oil changed since you bought the car?
I found there was no move you could make without it stalling and the only way to keep it going was to give it more gas than you ever would and go through the jerk motion as you had to make sure to brake it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2011 Equinox just started stalling and the check engine light keeps coming on and off (after a day or two). It happened after I took it to the car wash. Don't know if that caused it, but it is horrible. The dealer wipes out the check engine and tells me it's fixed. I drive 10 minutes and it is back on again. It is in the shop right now again. It has 2500 miles on it and I haven't made the first payment yet. It's been in the shop twice. It is also doing that grind noise at start up, but the dealer won't fix that problem. He said the check engine light is related, but I don't think it it after reading articles here. One sidenote, I can't use my auto start when the check engine light is on. I didn't know that!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ttfn and jproe- my guess is that the code on your computer will be P0011. My car never stalled with the light, but it had rough idle and jerked around when braking/changing gears. My dealer updated the computer and it's been fine for the last week. My light had come on and then went off a few hours later, so, similar to yours. My dealer said that it was because the computer was getting false signals from the solenoids, and the problems were caused by the computer overcorrecting for the false signals, which then caused the light to come on.

So, whatever they do, I would ask if they checked for any available updates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They told me they cleared and updated the software. Charged GM 33.00 for it and that I was fine. I asked what the code was and he said there was no code, but it was too technical to explain to little ole me. I pressed and he finally said that it was a whole system problem, so no code showed. I don't believe him. He asked to keep it overnight. It did go out for about 10 minutes, but came right back on again AFTER he said he fixed it and updated the software. I didn't appreciate being told that it was "broke" and now it's "fixed", that is all I need to know. I will start looking for another dealer when I get it back. He said I would have to drive it with the light on until GM figures out the engine problem, but it isn't related, I'm almost sure of that.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
ttfn59 said:
They told me they cleared and updated the software. Charged GM 33.00 for it and that I was fine. I asked what the code was and he said there was no code, but it was too technical to explain to little ole me. I pressed and he finally said that it was a whole system problem, so no code showed. I don't believe him. He asked to keep it overnight. It did go out for about 10 minutes, but came right back on again AFTER he said he fixed it and updated the software. I didn't appreciate being told that it was "broke" and now it's "fixed", that is all I need to know. I will start looking for another dealer when I get it back. He said I would have to drive it with the light on until GM figures out the engine problem, but it isn't related, I'm almost sure of that.
I would not have paid the $33. You have a bumper to bumper warranty. Ask for your money back, and find a new dealer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
RIT333 said:
I would not have paid the $33. You have a bumper to bumper warranty. Ask for your money back, and find a new dealer.
says GM was charged.. with warranty work GM gets charged for the work and any loaners...

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
wrusprod said:
says GM was charged.. with warranty work GM gets charged for the work and any loaners...
Whoops !

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
ttfn59 said:
My 2011 Equinox just started stalling and the check engine light keeps coming on and off (after a day or two). It happened after I took it to the car wash. Don't know if that caused it, but it is horrible. The dealer wipes out the check engine and tells me it's fixed. I drive 10 minutes and it is back on again. It is in the shop right now again. It has 2500 miles on it and I haven't made the first payment yet. It's been in the shop twice. It is also doing that grind noise at start up, but the dealer won't fix that problem. He said the check engine light is related, but I don't think it it after reading articles here. One sidenote, I can't use my auto start when the check engine light is on. I didn't know that!
I would like to look into this concern for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tricia
I have a case number with GM now. My car is still in the shop and I have not heard anything. Kate from GM called me today, but only left a message, I was away from my desk. Sent you message with case#. It is stalling when moving slowly after starting it up, check engine light is on/off all the time and it is grinding when starting up. According to my ONSTAR app (since I don't have my car now), it has 2697 miles on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The code was P0011. I took it to Hilton Head GMC and they said they would run some diagnostics on it. They called back and have to replace camshaft tensioner (I think), but the part had to be ordered. My wife was supposed to get a loaner car, but she got held up 30 minutes and the loaner had been given out. They ended up sending her to Enterprise to get a rental (GMC Canyon - not nearly as nice as the Terrain). Hopefully this will get repaired tomorrow and my wife will get back into her car. I hate that this has happened. Each of the last few GM vehicles I have owned have not been trouble free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jpro - glad they figured out your problem, I just hope it solves your issues. As for rentals, feel lucky. My first rental was a tiny economy car with roll up handles for windows. My rental this time is a crappy impala with over 35K miles on it and it runs horrible. Oh well, I guess you have to take what you can get. :mad:

·
Registered
949 Posts
When my light was coming on, it wasn't acting rough/jerky UNTIL the light actually came on. At least, not enough to be noticeable. It was almost instantly when the light came on that the engine started acting up. From what I know, it seems that the software update really only affect certain build dates, etc., so it may/may not be for you, but I would ask and see if they checked for an available update if mine sounds similar to yours.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sumr616 said:
When my light was coming on, it wasn't acting rough/jerky UNTIL the light actually came on. At least, not enough to be noticeable. It was almost instantly when the light came on that the engine started acting up. From what I know, it seems that the software update really only affect certain build dates, etc., so it may/may not be for you, but I would ask and see if they checked for an available update if mine sounds similar to yours.
Scratch my earlier post- My check engine light came back on AGAIN today. This time it happened just like yours did, I stopped at the mail box down the street, got back in car, started just fine, idled just fine, after running for a few seconds I put it in drive and applied gas, and it almost died. Looked down, and the light was on. Pushed the OnStar button and they ran diagnostic, gave me same description as the other two times the light has come on, so I'm assuming it's the P0011 code again. This will be my third visit to the dealer since July 1st, all for the same exact thing. The first time, the pulled the code and lied to me saying they did a software update. The light came on the next day, weekend of July 4th, so my appt was several days later.

The second time, they pulled the code and ACTUALLY did the software update, this is when it surfaced that I was lied to. I spoke with the service manager and said, "So, this should work right?" "Oh yea, you'll be just fine now, that light is not going to come on again." "So this time you actually did the update, and I'm good to go. Well, unless it comes on tomorrow, right?" He looked at me funny and said, "oh no, that's not gonna happen. If THAT happened, then there is something much deeper wrong with it and I would have to keep it for several days, and actually I'd call a GM Engineer to come look at it."

That is quite literally what he said. So, I'm holding him to that. I plan on being the first person in line, waiting at the door at 7 AM when they open. And I'm only talking to the girl at the front desk long enough to say, "Can I please speak to the service manager?"

FIFTH service visit since I've owned the car, for 14 weeks. THIRD service visit in 12 days. How much are lemons going for these days?? :banghead:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts