GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Writing to vent. Passenger window would not roll down. The certified gmc dealer ended up replacing the window switch and and found a wire in the passenger door that was bent.

7 hours and $630.00 out the door.
6 hours later the window stopped working again.
Now the problem is the ocm module.
This should be another $500 total.
So maybe just under $1,200 for a window issue.
This is a 2019'terrain 64;000 miles.
Am I getting hosed? Mechanic had to take my seat out to follow all the wires....

should be fixed tomorrow..

·
Registered
765 Posts
7 hours of work for $630, then another 6 hours of work for $500 sounds very reasonable to me. Most dealers around here are $125/hr for labor alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7 hours of work for $630, then another 6 hours of work for $500 sounds very reasonable to me. Most dealers around here are $125/hr for labor alone.
I do agree. But my thought is we are not installing a engine: I could of got lucky and another mechanic could of found out what the issue was in 2 hours of labor. Not 10 hours. Make sense?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I do agree. But my thought is we are not installing a engine: I could of got lucky and another mechanic could of found out what the issue was in 2 hours of labor. Not 10 hours. Make sense?
The way you posed the question made it sound like you were concerned the rates were too high.

There is always the chance in any kind of repair work that someone could get lucky and find the issue right away. Electrical issues are very tough, however. It doesn't sound like you are getting hosed. Although since the first repair didn't work there should be some sort of guarantee and substantial discount on the follow up repair of the same issue.

Removing the seat doesn't seem unusual, especially if more space is needed by the technician to access wiring in the foot well area going in to the door. Even moreso if they need to spend hours in there.

If people saw how much disassembly goes on these days just to repair routine things, they would have a fit. That is why a lot of service departments prefer not to allow customers to actually see what is going on. Disassembly and reassembly is also where a lot of the labor comes in. Multiple hours of work to replace something that ultimately just bolts or clips in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts