GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably not the only computer geek who believes that Toyota's current problems are due to vehicle computer software, hardware or a combination of both. That is why some strange glitches with my Terrain's eletronics during a 11 hour drive from Florida to SC yesterday worry me. None of them were a big deal, but they were interesting. Not in a good way.....

1. At one point, all by itself, the audio system switched from XM (The Bridge) to AUX and started playing my flash drive. Nothing was touched. No bumps were hit. It only happened once (so far).

2. At one point I could only adjust the cruise control by two mph's. In other words, for example, I could only adjust to 69 or 71. It would not let me adjust to 70.

3. The speed of the cruise control and the speed displayed by the digital speed display were off by 1 mph. For example, the cruise control was set to 71. The external (nuvi) GPS said I was doing 71. The digital speed display said I was doing 70.

Again, not a real big deal. And I was too busy driving to diagnose and experiment. But computers should either be right on or "Houston, I think we have a problem".

Anyone else notice things like the above? I don't have NAV, DVD or steering wheel audio controls. Just the base system......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There is a margin of error of 3% for the speedo by federal law. It doesnt have to be exact. Thats why cops dont pull people over for going 73 in a 70 because their vehicle might be showing 71 on the speedo.

Also, I noticed that with the speedo over 50 (I think that is what it was, I dont get to drive it much, lol) it will do it in 2 MPH bumps. When its under, itll do in 1 MPH bumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does your steering wheel have a button "src"? If so, I think I can answer #1. Without realizing it during your 11 hour drive, you probably accidentally pushed in on the "src" button (located on the steering wheel) when you moved your hands around the steering wheel. This would have changed it from XM to AUX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We've had our 4cyl Terrain since Dec 3rd. Got about 4600 miles on it now and like it very much. The other day I stopped at the bank, locked the doors and when I returned, I pressed the unlock button on the remote and nothing happened. I pressed the lock and then unlock and still nothing. Got a little rush and thought maybe I would have to call on-star to help but I pressed the button to release the key part and then pressed the unlock and finally they unlocked. This may be a glitch but I later tried the same scenario and I was successfully able to unlock the doors with the remote and I didn't have to extend the key out. Not sure what could be happening here.

RW ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
tmozer said:
I am probably not the only computer geek who believes that Toyota's current problems are due to vehicle computer software, hardware or a combination of both. That is why some strange glitches with my Terrain's eletronics during a 11 hour drive from Florida to SC yesterday worry me. None of them were a big deal, but they were interesting. Not in a good way.....

1. At one point, all by itself, the audio system switched from XM (The Bridge) to AUX and started playing my flash drive. Nothing was touched. No bumps were hit. It only happened once (so far).
I get this exact thing happen to me all the time. It usually happens within a minute of turning the car on. It's unpredictable, the radio could come on or my Zune connected via USB. It's a crap shoot! This morning before I got to work it switched on me after about a mile or so down the road. I also drive the base Terrain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rich said:
We've had our 4cyl Terrain since Dec 3rd. Got about 4600 miles on it now and like it very much. The other day I stopped at the bank, locked the doors and when I returned, I pressed the unlock button on the remote and nothing happened. I pressed the lock and then unlock and still nothing. Got a little rush and thought maybe I would have to call on-star to help but I pressed the button to release the key part and then pressed the unlock and finally they unlocked. This may be a glitch but I later tried the same scenario and I was successfully able to unlock the doors with the remote and I didn't have to extend the key out. Not sure what could be happening here.

RW ???
I have this happen to me after I go through a car wash. The electronics for the remote keyless entry stop working. (Both keyfobs) Told the dealer but they said they could not replicate. I told them I would bring it in the next time it happens. Happened again last night but the dealership was closed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
At one point I could only adjust the cruise control by two mph's. In other words, for example, I could only adjust to 69 or 71. It would not let me adjust to 70
I had the same thing happen to me this morning. I suspect it was just the effects of rounding on the digital display. I just set a new "base" speed and was able to bump up and down in 1 mph increments after that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, ours did the weird nonoperative keyfob today. It would not engage anything at all. Had to manually lock the doors and unlock them. Started the car up and then next I went to use the remote and they worked. Might have to crack it open to see if anything is broken.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nukedog said:
My Terrain info certain came on in Greek the other day. Wierd stuff...
Greek? I didn't think they sold the vehicle outside of North America. But being of Greek descent and being able to read the language I would have loved to see that. And a friend who works for Delphi in Kokomo, IN and did some work on the infotainment system (who happens to be Greek) would have liked to see that.

I'll pass along the comment and see what he says. Are you sure it wasn't just gibberish?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured out the switching from Radio to AUX glitch. If the usb device is jiggled, the system switches to AUX. I hit the usb connection (I use a cable to the thumb drive) while trying to find something in the console and the media center switched from XM to AUX. Sensitive I guess...... I would guess a bump or something caused it the first time it happened (reported above).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nukedog said:
My Terrain info certain came on in Greek the other day. Wierd stuff...
Heard back from my friend at Delphi. His comments:

Probably not Greek, but scrambled text due to some bizarre condition. Not terribly unusual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
tnmats said:
Heard back from my friend at Delphi. His comments:

Probably not Greek, but scrambled text due to some bizarre condition. Not terribly unusual.
But Delphi doesn't make the radios....just the screens on the seats.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dsulli37 said:
But Delphi doesn't make the radios....just the screens on the seats.
Delphi makes infotainment systems for GM but not all vehicles. I asked him as he does this kind of work. The Equinox/Terrain aren't sold outside of NA and has no Greek characters in it's software. The gibberish was likely not Greek as it's not programmed into this unit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Twice I haven't been able to lock the doors from the fob. Ive had to open the door, close it, then hit lock again.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
brisket_lover said:
Twice I haven't been able to lock the doors from the fob. Ive had to open the door, close it, then hit lock again.
Same thing we had to do. Im assuming that the latch in the door is not reporting that its closing and making the FOB inoperable until the latch says the door is closed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
tnmats said:
Delphi makes infotainment systems for GM but not all vehicles. I asked him as he does this kind of work. The Equinox/Terrain aren't sold outside of NA and has no Greek characters in it's software. The gibberish was likely not Greek as it's not programmed into this unit.
Yah they don't make anything for the Equinox except for the screens.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Same thing we had to do. Im assuming that the latch in the door is not reporting that its closing and making the FOB inoperable until the latch says the door is closed.
I've had this problem too.... turns out my rear hatch isn't registering as being fully closed so the fob won't lock the doors. I know I close the rear hatch tight but either its a mechanical problem with the latch or the sensor on the hatch telling the DIC that the hatch is still open. Closing it harder seems to help, but it will be one of the first things I have checked on my service visit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a couple of glitches as well.

1. Heater starts blowing cold air when in heat mode. Have to shut the car off to correct it. Has happened three times since Jan 1 when I picked up the Terrain.
2. Lights on the shift column (P-R-N-D-M) glow very brightly as if the lights were in day light mode instead of night mode. All other dash lights appeared to be correct. Happened once (today as a matter of fact). Lights were normal after a restart.
3. When receiving a call on my cell phone blue toothed to the car when the phone is answered (hitting the button on the steering wheel or on the phone) the car audio mutes as normal but comes back on right away. The call is accepted and active but I cannot hear the caller and the caller cannot hear me. Happened for a period of two days and then started to function normally.
4. The most disturbing item was when the low oil pressure warning came on saying to stop driving immediately. Pulled over, checked the oil level. Restarted the vehicle and no more warning. Only happened once so far.

Does not leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling about long term ownership.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It sounds like your BCM is going pretty haywire.

Id let your dealer do a diag on it to see if they pick up any problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts