GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Retained accessory power relay in my fuse box is heating up would this cause my radio and display panel lights not to come on or come on after awhile plus the clicking sound to my turn singles don't seem to work until radio comes on? I own a 2016 GMC Terrain

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
My Retained accessory power relay in my fuse box is heating up would this cause my radio and display panel lights not to come on or come on after awhile plus the clicking sound to my turn singles don't seem to work until radio comes on? I own a 2016 GMC Terrain
Get the battery checked. A 2016 probably still has the original factory battery in it, and tired batteries can cause all kinds of wonky electrical issues.

I'm seeing it right now with my 2011: the display is going dark, the temperature is disappearing, and the airbag idiot light is coming and going. But my car failed to start Tuesday night leaving work, and was noticeably slow to start on the key turn just before that (moving between buildings). Not wanting to spend the time during the week before or after work getting a new battery, I've been jumping it twice a day with one of those Lithium battery packs to get to the weekend! LOL! Gotten some good practice (and faith in the $80 Viking Lithium battery pack from Harbor Fake).

This will be the 2nd battery replacement for me since new, BTW. When was the last replacement (??) ... July 2016 ... 5 years in ... right where you are now!

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,996 Posts
Just thought I'd come back and report something I experienced while using my Harbor Fake "Viking" Lithium battery-jumper pack.

If your battery gets so weak that you cannot get the key out, I think it may be so internally shorted that the Lithium battery pack refuses to work. When I reached this point, the unit would power ON, but then when I pressed the red "Jump Start" button, necessary to start the vehicle, it would just beep incessantly and do nothing. Had to use another jump source just to get the key out, and then the "Viking" pack worked ... but probably because the battery got below some minimum threshold.

Also - some other interesting stuff happened along the way (with all the battery jumping I was doing with the "Viking" from Wednesday into Saturday ... probably 10 jumps all together!) ... at one point, the message "Battery Saver Activated" appeared in the Cluster ... around the time that the battery icon and the AirBag lights also appeared (although I cannot say for sure what the order was). The battery icon usually means the Alternator/Charging System is failing, so on that ride into work that morning, I was kind of concerned that the car might just suddenly quit on the Interstate ... but it didn't! But this was also the absolute end of this battery because I was stranded later that night again, no jumping would save me, and I had to borrow a company truck to go get the replacement battery, and then install it in the company parking lot! LOL! But before I did that, I actually did get the engine running one last time (although the lights looked very dim, whereas they were always very bright after each previous jump). I tried to drive off to go home and the car just wouldn't move. I'd give it the gas and it would just roll about a foot forward and that was it! It was like the transmission computer didn't have enough power to operate!

Needless to say, when I finally took the company truck to get the new battery, I was more than a little concerned that maybe I had pushed the battery jumping a little too far and damaged the Alternator, the Transmission Computer, maybe the ECM, and that when I finally dropped the new battery in there I'd be calling the tow truck anyway.

But nope! It started right up like nothing had happened! Drove home perfectly ... not even any roughness while it re-calculated or re-calibrated parameters (which is what I was expecting, since the battery was totally disconnected for at least 1/2 hour)! Didn't even lose my radio presets!

I did, however, lose my temperature indicator in the right-hand corner of the LCD display. But it ended up coming back the next day on the drive home ... so the 3rd startup. Not sure what made that one so "special"? Maybe some re-calibration to do there??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts