GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two week old Terrain (SLE 2, AWD, I4) seems to have developed a mind of its own. Driving along the highway the "engine hood open" warning light came on then wend out, came on again about 10 minutes later then once again went out. When I reached home and shut the vehicle down, after about 1/2 hour the burglar alarm when off, ran for about 30 seconds (no person had touched the vehicle) then shut down. About 1/2 hour later, off it went again with exact same 30 second time frame. Did this 4 times then seemed to be ok. Left it overnight, went out driving today and same "engine hood warning". Fingers crossed, the alarm has not gone off but I am not holding my breath. As it is Sunday there is very little I can do but will try and get it into the dealer (if he is not too busy). Any suggestions as to what may be going on. Computer problem? Short somewhere?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a hunch. Could the hood sensor be badly adjusted (i.e. too low)? That "could" make the switch misbehave. Check the connections at the switch too. Maybe you have a bad ground associated with the switch.

I had that happen to me way back when on another car. The switch, with the hood closed, was at a sweet spot that would trigger when the car flexed while driving or hood moved. A test I tried was temporarily put a small piece of foam right where the switch is to force the switch lower when the hood closed. That did the trick. I moved the switch higher and silence. It's an idea !!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Open and close your hood. The latch ( not the hood) has a sensor built into it. Check the edges of the hood and fender are they even? If your hood is up too high this will happen it may need adjusted ( and the remote start won't work either). It sounds like it is on the edge of making the sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took vehicle in and dealer agreed with you both that the source of the gremlin is the hood latch. GM has approved replacement rather than a repair attempt. Thanks very much for your replies. Always nice when you take your "sicK" vehicle in to have some idea as to what the likely source of the problem may be.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
they were right on the money...

the hood open sensor-- and the alarm going off--- as if someone had broken in(opened your hood) and alarm went off-- point to the switch...

glad its a simple repair....

(its possible you could have also gotten a scenario where your remote start would not have worked- as remote start will not work with an 'open' hood)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that you mention it, I did try a remote start and it didn't work. I thought I was perhaps out of range but now that I think about it I was probably no more than 100 feet away so it should have worked. You know, I remember my dad's 1929 Chevy when all you needed to worry about was whether you had a screw driver, a wrench and a hammer. Do we really need all these "electronics". I really don't need a computer to tell me that my engine hood is open, I have eyes. I really don't need electric windows, a "crank" will do just fine, I really don't need an oil life monitor, I can remember when I last changed the oil and how far I have driven since I last changed the oil, and so on and so on. Maybe I should look for an old Chevy.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
wmm.mem said:
Took vehicle in and dealer agreed with you both that the source of the gremlin is the hood latch. GM has approved replacement rather than a repair attempt. Thanks very much for your replies. Always nice when you take your "sicK" vehicle in to have some idea as to what the likely source of the problem may be.
Thank you for posting the updates, wmm! We will be sure to document your feedback where the appropriate GM teams can access it, and it's great to see the forum discussion was so helpful for you.

Best,

Katie (Assisting Tricia), GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 13 Equinox with 4000 miles , and it did the same thing, only in the rain, also one day it would not let the fob work on lock or unlock and when I opened the car with the key the alarm went off untill I put the key in the igntion. Also one cold morning when I started the vehicle the heater controls/lites didn't work, No control at all until I turned the vehicle off and restarted it. Worked fine since. The dash lites are dim for over 1hr at times when I bring the car out of the garage or on a cloudy day. Bluetooth,idiot lites, DIC ,and Ice warning issues. I have called my Dealer and they said if it doesn't show on the ODM2 they can't fix it. What has happened to the Mechanic now days. They are all TECHNICIANS now and all that ASI training doesn't help the customer. Come GM etc. at least try to solve the customers issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just had the hood open on screen...tried opening and closing hood to end problem...never stopped....bell rang for 2 hrs :banghead:...called dealer, brought it in...my remote start also didn't work this morning...needs new hood sensor... dealer tells me when the sensor for the hood failed.. it automatically will not allow the remote start to work...part coming in next week..

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter must have a gremlin too. When she went to open the hood of her 2014 Terrain, the motor tried to start. It did not turn over completely, but stopped mid way. Then when she went to open the oil cap, the same thing happened. The occupant in the car at the time said the dash lights came on. Opening the lid - sounds like this is the hood sensor. But turning the oil cap? Is there an oil cap sensor too? I doubt it. we will have to experiment to get more precise information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts