GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new '18 Equinox with the Electric Parking Brake. If the mechanism failed or failed to get power, is there a way to manually release the parking brake?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Excellent question. Hopefully, when there is no power to the motor or solenoid that engages the brakes, it will disengage, such that pulling a fuse, would release the emergency brake. I'll have to look for a fuse, to see if my theory is correct.

·
Registered
749 Posts
No. If the battery fails and the electric parking brake is set, it will remain set. You can open the hood, apply a set of jumper cables from a good battery, then release the electric parking brake.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the mechanism failed, it would be the same as if a caliper seized on. No way to release it.

From what I've seen, the unit is sealed quite well. I don't think it's going to be an issue for quite awhile.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If the mechanism failed, it would be the same as if a caliper seized on. No way to release it.

From what I've seen, the unit is sealed quite well. I don't think it's going to be an issue for quite awhile.
So towing is the only resort if something happens (as recommended by the manual)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Equinox, right side park brake is stuck on. Dealer states there is no way to manually release the park brake if it is stuck on. This is 3rd time we brought the vehicle in for park brake service - about 3000 miles on the vehicle. This time the vehicle is sitting at dealership for 4 days so far.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are two ways of releasing the parking brake.

One is with an appropriate scan tool and select Parking Brake Service Mode.

Two obviously if you don't have the above, there is still another way to do it.

Naturally take all obvious steps to ensure safety when working on a lifted vehicle. The following is for the Parking Brake Actuator fails or loss of electrical power.
On the side that is 'locked' remove the parking brake actuator which is attached to the caliper by two bolts. Once removed insert a hex bit of the proper size into the piston and rotate clockwise to retract the piston.

You can replace the actuator without replacing the caliper. Also when done on both methods, Park Brake Calibration is required. This is done by the scan tool, the shop manual does not call out a manual way to do that if its even necessary.

Hope this helps.. By the way only for 18 and 19 and any other 'electrical' parking brake vehicle that GM has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2019 Equinox, right side park brake is stuck on. Dealer states there is no way to manually release the park brake if it is stuck on. This is 3rd time we brought the vehicle in for park brake service - about 3000 miles on the vehicle. This time the vehicle is sitting at dealership for 4 days so far.
6 days. Still not fixed. At least I have a loaner.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
One would think that the dealer could just do some soldering just to get you back on the road, and call you in a few months after the harness comes in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep driving the CTP loaner. Let them fix it right. Yes, you may be making payments, but not putting miles on your vehicle. Plus insuring a vehicle, but again, no miles. Perhaps you can get the dealer to request GM give you the CPO additional warranty for piece of mind.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use my electric e-brake religiously on my 2019; now questioning if that's such a great idea, knowing if it fails, the default is locked wheels.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use my electric e-brake religiously on my 2019; now questioning if that's such a great idea, knowing if it fails, the default is locked wheels.

On a steep enough slope it might be 6 of one, half a dozen of another, meaning the transmission Park pawl binding. Back in July I was visiting family in Ea. Washington state, had a family barbecue and my daughter parked her 06 Lacrosse on my brothers relatively steep driveway. She hadn't applied the E-brake before shifting into Park. Once she got ready to leave, she couldn't get the column shifter to budge, I pretty much knew what the issue was, it took 2 grown men and 2 hefty teenage boys pushing on the back of the car to relieve the pressure on the pawl, I would say the car lurched ahead 4-6 inches once the pressure was relieved, but that did the trick. On the other hand, on the same trip I was riding with my cousin who has a Superduty Powerstroke, one heavy truck, and he parked on a even steeper slope without using the E-brake, I mentioned my daughters story, and he said his Dad taught him never to use the E-brake out in the country. Me, I always apply the e-brake before shifting into Park on a steep slope, anybody that remembers the Ford Aerostars will know why, and no I never owned one.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Me, I always apply the e-brake before shifting into Park on a steep slope, anybody that remembers the Ford Aerostars will know why, and no I never owned one.

I remember the Ford Aerostar, but don't know why. Care to enlighten me ?

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagerog View Post
Me, I always apply the e-brake before shifting into Park on a steep slope, anybody that remembers the Ford Aerostars will know why, and no I never owned one.

The reason for applying parking brake before shifting into "Park" when the vehicle is parked on a slope or hill is : - - -
The parking brake applied first, will then hold the vehicle in place rather then the "park pawl" in the transmission. On a hill or slope, if the transmission is put into park first, and then the parking brake is applied, the vehicle will roll back somewhat putting a lot of tension on the transmission parking pawl. This then makes it difficult to put the transmission in Drive next time it is started and you want to move it.
So the Parking Pawl in the transmission is holding the vehicle in place rather than the parking brake.
In some vehicles it may even lock the vehicle in place and you have to have someone push the vehicle forward (or backward) in order to shift out of Park. It can also damage the transmission over time in some vehicles if parking on a hill without using the Parking Brake first and then shifting in Park.

In any case and on any vehicle, it is best that the parking brake should be applied firmly and thoroughly first before shifting into Park when the vehicle is being parked on a hill or slope.

EDIT: In the 2019 Acadia we recently purchased that also has the EPB, I've parked in our sloped driveway a few times. So I pull up to where I want to park, keep my foot firmly on the brake and then set the Electric Parking Brake before shifting the transmission out of Drive and into Park.
I imagine some similar operation can be done on the newer +2018 Terrain, 2020 Acadia and other vehicles with the "push button" transmission selector.

·
Registered
301 Posts

If I recollect correctly the Ford Aerostar was plagued with roll aways linked to broken parking pawls, but my memory may be suspect as after a quick search of the internet this morning yielded no results.

·
Registered
236 Posts
According to the owners manual, there is a manual parking brake release under a plastic cover that's near the floor beside the accelerator and brake pedals. A lever must be rotated into the correct position and pulled to release the brake.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Tic, can you give us the reference in owners manual about the manual parking brake release. I looked for it and did not find it. Its possible it was for a pre 18 model year and that is the way its done for those vehicles. The shop manual for the eq and terrain do not call this out. Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Tic, can you give us the reference in owners manual about the manual parking brake release. I looked for it and did not find it. Its possible it was for a pre 18 model year and that is the way its done for those vehicles. The shop manual for the eq and terrain do not call this out. Cheers
Tic may be referring to the instructions for Manual Park Release, which I found on page 194 of the owner's manualfor my '18 Terrain. But that, per my reading, is to switch the transmission from Park to Neutral, not for disengaging a stuck parking brake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts